Injury Report: Chara: PCL in Left Knee Permanently Torn

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
http://www.thescore.com/news/744758

Weird, 'permanently torn' sounds pretty dire, but the article mentions he should be back to top form. Fantasy notes from sites don't paint as rosy as a picture for Chara.

This would explain much of why Chara looked so slow and awful this year. Is this an injury that can be overcome?

Complete lies.

No one will EVER be in "top form" after a permanent PCL rupture.

Like the ACL, it provides stability to the knee. It's less essential to day to day functioning than the ACL, but you cannot be in "top form" without it.

Shotty journalism. No surprise.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'm no doctor but would this not mean he'll be playing with a knee brace on the rest of his career?

I think so, and that will take some speed away from him.

Isn't it only permanent because he has decided not to repair it?

I think it could be saved if he takes surgery, but that will take atleast a year and he should just retire then. I hope we have a gm who knows this and will get a new D player so we can play chara on the 2nd pairing, this does not look good.

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
Our D is looking good for next year. So great they didn't trade Chara two years ago and got rid of Boychuk early. I'm a mere mortal so I can't comprehend the genius of hockey mastermind Peter Chiarelli, but I'm in awe of it.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
From the very little I've read,it is a very difficult repair because of it's position and many grafts stretch out and lose function. Most are left as is unless it is causing pain or affecting life. Looks like it acts as the opposition to the ACL,preventing knee from shifting backwards. I would guess this thing is the beginning of the end of All Star caliber Chara.

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
Our D is looking good for next year. So great they didn't trade Chara two years ago and got rid of Boychuk early. I'm a mere mortal so I can't comprehend the genius of hockey mastermind Peter Chiarelli, but I'm in awe of it.

So how was Chiarelli supposed to know that Chara's knee gets destroyed 2 years later? Or what was to be his reason to trade a Norris candidate Dman.

I am also kind of surprised that not a single fan in this thread shows any appreciation for our long-time captain who brought this franchise to the top who plays half a season through an injury like this. Instead I only read how he should retire or should have been traded years ago. Perhaps I am a bit more sentimental type of fan, but I think a player like that deserves more appreciation and gratitude from the fans.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
So how was Chiarelli supposed to know that Chara's knee gets destroyed 2 years later? Or what was to be his reason to trade a Norris candidate Dman.

I am also kind of surprised that not a single fan in this thread shows any appreciation for our long-time captain who brought this franchise to the top who plays half a season through an injury like this. Instead I only read how he should retire or should have been traded years ago. Perhaps I am a bit more sentimental type of fan, but I think a player like that deserves more appreciation and gratitude from the fans.

Sentiment has no place in business and players are sentimental about money.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

With you all the way.

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
I don't know. Maybe the fact that your #1 d-man is 36 years old should give you a small hint that he doesn't have lot of time left healthy and playing big minutes. So now Chara is 38, and he's pretty much done.

I appreciate him, but NHL players are well compensated for their efforts. Not only is their salary enormous but after they retire they're respected figures in their area for the rest of their lives. We don't need to sacrifice the future of the franchise just because we like a guy. I wouldn't like Chara any less if he retired today. Just like I don't like Tyler Seguin any less even though Chia the traitor traded him to the Stars.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I overrate Chara I am sure but even with his knee injuries he is still our #1, and a #1 on many teams. He is no longer the top 10 All Star he was, however. Nor will he ever be again. I can't even complain about his contract because his cap hit at fewer years would have been 1-2 million more per year. Good luck winning the Cup then!

Goom 35

May 16, 2009
But, isn't Chara the worse of both worlds in that he's high cap hit for long term?

Chia's 2nd worst move, after Seguin, was doling out such a long contract to Chara, who'll be 42 at contract's end.

Many of us thought it was stupid at the time; many more will come to realize it now.

Just so disgusted.

Tell us more Nostradamus.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Knee ligaments don't re-grow (for lack of a better word), right? So obviously, if he didn't have surgery to graph it, it wouldn't have healed.

He's not planning on having surgery. But this sucks. It's not as important as your ACL/MCL but it's still a knee ligament... He was so slow this year, he's only going to get slower now. He's going to start declining really fast. This year was the first we really saw it. Sadly it's only going to be a slow, downwards slope from here on out. He can still be a top-pairing defenseman for another season, MAYBE two, but he's not an elite #1 guy we can build the D around. The defense needs significant help. With a big step from Hamilton the 1st pairing of Chara-Hamilton is still fine, but we need a REALLY good 2nd pairing.

Goom 35

May 16, 2009
I don't think you need to be Nostradamus to have common sense.

And it's easy to sit behind a computer and have common sense in HINDSIGHT.

I think Ivanko's post up there sums it up beautifully. I also think Chara can still be a terrific asset as well if he's used properly.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
Knee ligaments don't re-grow (for lack of a better word), right? So obviously, if he didn't have surgery to graph it, it wouldn't have healed.

He's not planning on having surgery. But this sucks. It's not as important as your ACL/MCL but it's still a knee ligament... He was so slow this year, he's only going to get slower now. He's going to start declining really fast. This year was the first we really saw it. Sadly it's only going to be a slow, downwards slope from here on out. He can still be a top-pairing defenseman for another season, MAYBE two, but he's not an elite #1 guy we can build the D around. The defense needs significant help. With a big step from Hamilton the 1st pairing of Chara-Hamilton is still fine, but we need a REALLY good 2nd pairing.

And that is why unfortunately Quaider is likely gone, they have to invest into a steady second pairing D-Man and keep the third D-pair cheap.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
And it's easy to sit behind a computer and have common sense in HINDSIGHT.

I think Ivanko's post up there sums it up beautifully. I also think Chara can still be a terrific asset as well if he's used properly.

Common sense says a tall athlete that has always played a physical game is going to break down in his mid to late 30's. He's not really a great candidate for the lower cap hit longer term contract.

It wasn't Ryan Suter we are locking up

Goom 35

May 16, 2009
Common sense says a tall athlete that has always played a physical game is going to break down in his mid to late 30's. He's not really a great candidate for the lower cap hit longer term contract.

It wasn't Ryan Suter we are locking up

Yeah, I would have loved to see that "common sense" prevail and let Z walk right after he won the NORRIS TROPHY in his PRIME because of the possibility that he might break down in his late 30's. That would have gone over really well. Since a few of you think he deserved less years/money, do you remember WHO you would have replaced him with if he had walked?

The guy is a one of a kind mutant that has delivered in spades by being instrumental in bringing us a Stanley Cup Championship(almost two if Kelly and Daug**** scored). Now some of you babies are boo hooing because the party's over and you don't want to pay up near the end of his contract?

You're delusional if you think Chara was not going to get paid. It was totally worth it. Period.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
I overrate Chara I am sure but even with his knee injuries he is still our #1, and a #1 on many teams. He is no longer the top 10 All Star he was, however. Nor will he ever be again. I can't even complain about his contract because his cap hit at fewer years would have been 1-2 million more per year. Good luck winning the Cup then!

Chara wasn't even a #1 last year though Claude played him like he was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->