Injury Report: Chara: PCL in Left Knee Permanently Torn

Boston BROin

Marchand makes u mad
Feb 29, 2008
NYC
http://www.thescore.com/news/744758

Weird, 'permanently torn' sounds pretty dire, but the article mentions he should be back to top form. Fantasy notes from sites don't paint as rosy as a picture for Chara.

Zdeno Chara said the PCL in his left knee is permanently torn.

Impacts: He suffered the injury back in October and missed 19 games with the ailment. However, it won't require further surgery and it has healed sufficiently. Chara posted just 20 points in 63 games this past campaign. The 38-year-old blueliner may not be much of a fantasy factor anymore.

This would explain much of why Chara looked so slow and awful this year. Is this an injury that can be overcome?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'm no doctor but would this not mean he'll be playing with a knee brace on the rest of his career?

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Another reason why those longer term lower cap hit deals are bad ideas. I'd rather have given Chara less years more money, and replaced Campbell and Paille with rookie ELC players to cover the cost.

But at least Chiarelli has learned not to give out long term big money contracts to undeserving players. (Not that Chara fits that category)

qc

Aug 23, 2011
7Rui5IB.gif

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
No one comes back to top from permanent ligament injury.

Also, this is the result of him not going through proper rehab protocol. Some people ****ed up big time trying to save their jobs.

Beaviz81

Mar 8, 2015
No one comes back to top from permanent ligament injury.

Also, this is the result of him not going through proper rehab protocol. Some people ****ed up big time trying to save their jobs.

Well if it is a low-grade injury, no reason to go through with the surgery as that can compound the problem even more just ask Marco van Basten.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Well if it is a low-grade injury, no reason to go through with the surgery as that can compound the problem even more just ask Marco van Basten.

A permanent tear doesn't sound low-grade to me. It means it either was minor at first then he aggravated the injury, or it was major but the team refused to go through the months of rehab it takes. Being hit by a car could cause such a tear, not a light trauma from a hit on John Tavares.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Pcls aren't that important compared to the acl and mcl. I mean, he defiently needs it but a brace can mimic a lot of what a pcl and LCL do for your knee.

Beaviz81

Mar 8, 2015
A permanent tear doesn't sound low-grade to me. It means it either was minor at first then he aggravated the injury, or it was major but the team refused to go through the months of rehab it takes. Being hit by a car could cause such a tear, not a light trauma from a hit on John Tavares.

Knee-injuries are complicated, and there is little reason for surgery if it is just a Grade I or II (which by default is low-grade). And they happen alot in sports you should know that as van Basten basically told news that doctors did more damage to his knees than any player. You should read on the page I provided for more information on the matter.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
http://morphopedics.wikidot.com/posterior-cruciate-ligament-strain
Acute grade I and II isolated PCL injuries are managed non-operatively.

2 to 4 weeks of immobilization in extension to decrease tension on the anterolateral aspect of the ligament to allow for maximum intrinsic healing. The brace is fitted with a pad on the inside at the proximal posterior aspect of the tibia to keep the tibia from translating posterior under the femur.

Physical Therapy:
Week 1 - 6

Decrease inflammation.
Exercises are completed in prone to maintain the positioning of the tibia.
Lying passive flexion to maintain range of motion, and avoidance of hamstrings over activity.
Modalities
Electrical quadriceps stimulation
6 Weeks - 6 Months

Proprioception
Quadriceps strengthening with closed-chain exercises.
6 Months - 12 Months

Return to sport once full quadriceps strength is regained.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
They don't always opt to surgically repair these injuries-surgery could actually make things worse.

But given his age I'm not too hopeful he will rebound to the Chara he was before but he can probably get better than he was this season with the extra time off this summer.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Another reason why those longer term lower cap hit deals are bad ideas. I'd rather have given Chara less years more money, and replaced Campbell and Paille with rookie ELC players to cover the cost.

But at least Chiarelli has learned not to give out long term big money contracts to undeserving players. (Not that Chara fits that category)

But, isn't Chara the worse of both worlds in that he's high cap hit for long term?

Chia's 2nd worst move, after Seguin, was doling out such a long contract to Chara, who'll be 42 at contract's end.

Many of us thought it was stupid at the time; many more will come to realize it now.

Just so disgusted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->