Changing UFA extensions

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Never posted a thread in here and didn't see one, so forgive me if there was one.

Is there a reason why guys can't be re-signed 2 years early instead of 1?

I feel it would allow some of the smaller market teams a chance to receive a better return for a star player that they can't keep by being able to move them with some term left.

Is there something I'm missing that would result in some sort of bad trickle down effect?

Was it something the teams wanted so that they don't look into a bad contract too soon?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
As it currently stands, per CBA rules, players on a multi-year deal can sign extension 7/1 (1 year before contract expires) and players on one year deals can sign extension 1/1 (six months before contract expires).

What you're talking about kinda sounds like the options/renegotiations that were eliminated from CBA circa 2005.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
As it currently stands, per CBA rules, players on a multi-year deal can sign extension 7/1 (1 year before contract expires) and players on one year deals can sign extension 1/1 (six months before contract expires).

What you're talking about kinda sounds like the options/renegotiations that were eliminated from CBA circa 2005.
What I'm taking about is allowing an extension to be signed with 2 years left not 1. Would still kick in once the current contract ended.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
And my point is that a number of players "used" to be able to get "options" as part of their deals and be able to renegotiate a contract (pre cap), perhaps to add those option years.

It's been more than a decade without them. New CBA (circa 2020) would have to be negotiated to allow.

The thing is the NHLPA is probably more concerned with escrow and cap (and Olympic participatioin) than trying to get deals longer/earlier. Sometimes need to choose the battles to fight.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
Never posted a thread in here and didn't see one, so forgive me if there was one.

Is there a reason why guys can't be re-signed 2 years early instead of 1?

I feel it would allow some of the smaller market teams a chance to receive a better return for a star player that they can't keep by being able to move them with some term left.

Is there something I'm missing that would result in some sort of bad trickle down effect?

Was it something the teams wanted so that they don't look into a bad contract too soon?

This might help:

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/ottawa-1200/offside-february-28-2018-1.1014193

Fast forward to about 35 min in and he talks about this exact issue.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think UFA's want to test the market and see what's on the go/don't want to sign to early.
It really only impacts guys like duchene where a team like Carolina who could use him isn’t certain he would sign with them if they traded for him because he would have to wait to sign with them.

If a team isn’t a consistent good team, they really shouldn’t be acquiring guys like duchene cause if you miss the playoffs like the canes did, doesn’t give duchene the incentive to extend with them, as he only has 1 playoff appearance on his resume and would like to get back there sooner rather than later.

Noldo

May 28, 2007
In the big picture the limitation is most likely in place in order to avoid misuse. If you could extend a player more than a year ahead, a team could sign a player to two year contract/extension and immediately agree on the next contract. The practice that has been prohibited for one year contracts with the requirement that a player on a one year contract may not sign a new contract before 1 January.

There may also be practical issues / insurance concerns or other factors that make it desirable that a player may agree on a new contract at the earliest during the last year of the prior contract.

I wonder if the teams or players would like to have option years back? It could be easily done if option years would have to have the same salary as the average salary for the contract without the option year (I.e. for option year salary = cap hit)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad