Changes you would make

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Just curious why you would want to get rid of Daley? I know he isn't great but he is much better than DK.
Because he's 35 and most players don't last much longer than that. He has much more value for a playoff team looking for depth during a cup run than he does to us. I'd rather have the assets.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Apparently the Isles are listening to offers on Leddy. He's a guy I'd love to have here to help our young defensemen develop. Leddy is a very smart defenseman that's always been underrated...

Edit: I just looked at him closer, and it looks like he's kind of fallen off a cliff in recent years. Woof. Nevermind.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Just curious why you would want to get rid of Daley? I know he isn't great but he is much better than DK.

Also why you wanna get rid of lil' Bert?

Same case as Tatar.
Gotta trade while the value is there and before everybody uncovers the truth. In a rebuild, trade everything with some actual value as long as you can.

Daley is terrible. Not even close from DeKeyser. He can get lost. Waive and I bet nobody claims.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Same case as Tatar.
Gotta trade while the value is there and before everybody uncovers the truth. In a rebuild, trade everything with some actual value as long as you can.

Daley is terrible. Not even close from DeKeyser. He can get lost. Waive and I bet nobody claims.
Thanks

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
In a rebuild, trade everything with some actual value as long as you can.
Well... not everything.

Larkin's got value. Cholowski has value.

But you don't want to trade them. It's "trade everyone with value that isn't part of your core/future, and isn't necessary to maintain a culture." Typically that means older players.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I think a fair part of that is just where the Wings are in their rebuild. the Wings have focused on bigger guys who can/do play a hard, grinding game. Smith, Pope, Svechnikov, and Rasmussen can all go out and play that game. Larkin's game can fit that mold. They seem to really want to see Mantha add more of it. On the backend, I think they see guys like Lindstrom, McIsaac, and Hronek as guys who not only have some skill but also some jam.

It might seem a bit off kilter with where a lot of the league seems to be right now, but I think the Wings are definitely trying to put together a larger, rougher team that moves well and wears teams down. TBH, the possible make-up reminds me more of the first two Cup teams, who were a pretty darn rough group. I think folks forget how hard those teams were to play against and how much teams hated playing Shanny, Mac, Maltby, LaPointe, Holmstrom, Sandstrom (for one playoff run anyway), etc. all night.
I think they want to look like Winnipeg. They're skilled and fast like the rest of the league but they've got some big guys. The counterattack offense used by Vegas, Washington, and now Carolina is the new wave, but like all waves it passes. The losers in this league follow trends, the winners set them. I wouldn't be surprised if by the time we're done rebuilding the new trend will be big teams that are still just as skilled and fast, maybe not as quick on the counter attack but are near impossible to forecheck and play a strong possession game.

Reactions: Winger98

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Have Holland take the entire team and staff to Seattle in exchange for the expansion draft. Quickest path to a complete rebuild.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Well... not everything.

Larkin's got value. Cholowski has value.

But you don't want to trade them. It's "trade everyone with value that isn't part of your core/future, and isn't necessary to maintain a culture." Typically that means older players.

Exactly. But Bertuzzi isn't anywhere near the core. Just a nice complementary player and his value probably just peaked. Time to get rid of him. Something they should have done with Nyquist already...this season isn't likeky to improve lots of players values.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I'd do the simple stuff first.
  • Trade Nyquist (2nd rd or best offer)
  • Trade Howard (3rd rd OBO) - CGY/STL might be in the market.
  • Trade Jensen (5th rd OBO)
  • Let Zadina play in the Worl Juniors, then let him play in the AHL a while longer, bringing him up for the last 8 games of the season.
Then, the hardest part comes.
  • Look for any takers on Helm and/or Abdelkader.
  • Trade Athanasiou and a defensive prospect for some help on D (for example - all different values, of course - Faulk, Martinez, Pysyk, Savard)
  • Stock up on picks for players you know won't be part of the rebuild (Pope and Turgeon, for example)
  • Let Holland know he's gone after May 1st, Stevie Y is taking over his job.
Some out-of-the-box ideas.
  • Send an offer for Bobrovsky. CLB might bite, seeing as Bob isn't happy in CLB, but don't mortgage the future.
  • Send an offer for Puljujarvi. EDM seems to have mismanaged him, maybe he needs a change of scenery.
  • Send an offer for Gourde. TB might not have enough cap space to keep him.

Last edited:

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Revised core players for the rebuild who should remain untouchable:

Larkin and Cholowski (active players)
Zadina, Veleno, McIsaac, Berggren, Lindstrom (prospects)

All other players should be considered marketable over the next two years. We don't know enough about above prospects to consider moving them at this point.

Not much worth salvaging.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->