Confirmed with Link: Changes to Staff: Benoit Allaire to be Director of Goaltending

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Rangers Announce Changes to Hockey Operations Department

Benoit Allaire receives a promotion and is now Director of Goaltending. Will oversee the development of goaltenders at all levels throughout the organization, including at the AHL and ECHL levels. He will continue to be the head goaltending coach for the Rangers.

Jeff Malcolm receives a promotion and is now the Wolf Pack goaltending coach. The past three seasons he was the Rangers' Goaltending Consultant, where he assisted in the on-ice and off-ice development of goaltenders throughout the Rangers organization, and he also worked with the Rangers front office in evaluating goaltenders at both the amateur and professional level.

Jean-Ian Filiatrault will work with Allaire and assist in the development of Rangers goaltending prospects throughout the organization, including in Europe and at the junior/collegiate level. He most recently worked in the Colorado Avalanche organization as Goaltending Development Coach.

Matt Hunwick will work with Director of Player Development Jed Ortmeyer, as well as Assistant Directors of Player Development Tanner Glass and Tuomo Ruutu, in the development of Ranger prospects on and off the ice, and he will primarily focus on working with defensemen in the Rangers organization. He joins the Rangers organization after serving as a Volunteer Assistant Coach at the U. of Michigan.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
204139731_10208840117918462_1304056777154827504_n.jpg

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Off topic: I'm guessing that their own personal hockey talent levels don't matter a jot in the role, but what exactly do Glass, Ortmeyer and Ruutu do? What is their specific role?

Maybe it's just me, but I'd prefer guys with talent to help with player development. Psychologically speaking.

Anyway, good for Benny!

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Off topic: I'm guessing that their own personal hockey talent levels don't matter a jot in the role, but what exactly do Glass, Ortmeyer and Ruutu do? What is their specific role?

Maybe it's just me, but I'd prefer guys with talent to help with player development. Psychologically speaking.

Anyway, good for Benny!

Tuomo Ruutu is a great player whisperer, very pleased he is with the Rangers. He's done marvelous work the Finnish national teams (Jr. & Sr.) with mental game preparation eg. and he helped out Kakko when he was struggling with assimilating into the Rangers early in his first season. I don't know the specifics though, how involved he is with appraising strengths, weaknesses things to work on for individual players etc. More info would be interesting to see.

Reactions: leetch99

Filip Chytil

Mar 3, 2014

Anyway, good for Benny!

I think the more talented guys could work as a negative though. Not always, but sometimes. They have such a high amount of talent that it can get to a point where it hampers developing another individual who doesn't have the same foundation of talent/athleticism/natural ability. That talent allows a guy to do things that another guy without said talent just can't do. Allows it to break rules. Different sport, but Mahomes is a great example of this.

Probably best to have a diversified bunch. But some of the best teachers in other sports weren't the best players.

wowitsanicecity

Nov 29, 2005

Anyway, good for Benny!

On the other hand it’s good to have the players who had to grind hard to make a career for themselves in the NHL to be able to pass the message along to the prospects really how much work goes into making the NHL. They know the grind better because they lived it.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
This is good for Allaire's career but bad for the goalies. His attention will be diffused to other players, he will no longer be focused on just working with Shesterkin and Georgiev. He will be less hands on.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Anyway, good for Benny!
The player development staff is about on-ice stuff to a degree, but also the off-ice stuff. Psychological support, help with adjusting to new circumstances, that kind of stuff. The stuff about developing one's skill set and becoming a better player on-ice is more for the coaches.

Allaire never even played hockey at any kind of high level. I actually don't even think he played major junior.

Reactions: CLW

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
This is good for Allaire's career but bad for the goalies. His attention will be diffused to other players, he will no longer be focused on just working with Shesterkin and Georgiev. He will be less hands on.
This article says he'll still be based in New York and remain the head goaltending coach for the Rangers. To my knowledge, he was already responsible to a degree for the other goaltenders in the organization, so this might be more of a paper promotion than anything. Especially when you take it with the news that Malcolm is being promoted to a full-time role and that this guy Filiatrault is here. It sounds to me like what they've really done is flesh out the goaltending development structure in the organization, rather than really fundamentally change Allaire's duties.

Rangers GM Drury reshapes hockey operations

Reactions: will1066

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
Rangers Announce Changes to Hockey Operations Department

Benoit Allaire receives a promotion and is now Director of Goaltending. Will oversee the development of goaltenders at all levels throughout the organization, including at the AHL and ECHL levels. He will continue to be the head goaltending coach for the Rangers.

Jeff Malcolm receives a promotion and is now the Wolf Pack goaltending coach. The past three seasons he was the Rangers' Goaltending Consultant, where he assisted in the on-ice and off-ice development of goaltenders throughout the Rangers organization, and he also worked with the Rangers front office in evaluating goaltenders at both the amateur and professional level.

Jean-Ian Filiatrault will work with Allaire and assist in the development of Rangers goaltending prospects throughout the organization, including in Europe and at the junior/collegiate level. He most recently worked in the Colorado Avalanche organization as Goaltending Development Coach.

Matt Hunwick will work with Director of Player Development Jed Ortmeyer, as well as Assistant Directors of Player Development Tanner Glass and Tuomo Ruutu, in the development of Ranger prospects on and off the ice, and he will primarily focus on working with defensemen in the Rangers organization. He joins the Rangers organization after serving as a Volunteer Assistant Coach at the U. of Michigan.

Wasn't he already the "unofficial" Director of Goaltending? LOL

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

IMO, this move is setting him up for retirement... Kind of like what we saw with Gordie Clark the past few seasons and now this year.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
actually i see this in reverse,
i expect Benny really more focused on NYR G's,
while Malcolm is daily w Pack G's
and the new guy is watching Garand's , Ollas's, Lindbom's every game, and whoever else they might draft or acquire this year
w Ollas coming to NA, its a good move

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad