Line Combos: Changes for the Better?

KessMeRandy

Nov 25, 2013
Curious what you guys think. I know that the Buds are on a roll. As an optimistic Leafs fan I am happy to see this happening. The pessimist in me points to the very mediocre CA/60, CF/60 and CF% of the "top" and "third" lines and notes that the streak will probably come to an abrupt halt. I think that the winning streak is born out of a swagger and a systems deployment more than strictly line combos (Santo-Naz notwithstanding). Our muddied special teams combos point to this (we are generally good regardless of the mix of players). What I mean is, this team seems to be a TEAM rather than a collection of four three man units and three two man units. Here's my suggestion for spreading possession and scoring on all four lines (assuming scoring and possession aren't casually linked). Winnik at 4C is odd, although he is serviceable and can move up and down the lineup. I like the look better with Komarov on line 2 than Winnik and am a party to the thought that having three better players on the ice (a la Panik Winnik Clarkson) with one who is out of his natural position is better than having a line centred by a sub-par natural centre (Smith).

Santorelli-Kadri-Kessel
JVR-Bozak-Komarov
Lupul-Holland-Booth
Panik-Winnik-Clarkson

Franson-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Polak (Holzer)
Reilly-Robidas

Just don't like that "top" line anymore. Even when they are scoring rampantly they are still allowing more than they produce. Imagine Kessel with all of that o-zone time generated by Santo and Naz. Imagine JVR and Komarov (who play very well on the PK together when they do play together) cycling to Bozak out front. Imagine a pure scoring line in Holland's in sheltered minutes, and a relatively good 4th line in possession!

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Personally I don't want to change what's been working. Even though we hadn't seen some great play from the top line recently, we were still winning. Then they come out and score 3 big goals against a top team in Anaheim to show they are still capable and may have just been in a bit of a funk.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
i'd split the top line up completely.

kadri-kessel
lupul-bozak
jvr-holland

and then mix and match santo komo winnik panik booth clarkson on their other wings.

KessMeRandy

Nov 25, 2013
Personally I don't want to change what's been working. Even though we hadn't seen some great play from the top line recently, we were still winning. Then they come out and score 3 big goals against a top team in Anaheim to show they are still capable and may have just been in a bit of a funk.

Good teams always strive to be better. Look at LA, who change their lines all the time. Against Anaheim the top line did well to open the scoring. That was all JVR (classic Bozak: right place, right time). Last two goals were entirely Kessel, literally had NOTHING to do with Bozak or JVR. You'll still get the Kessel offence, just with more defensive responsibility and probably more points out of Nazzie than other other potential linemate of Kessel's.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Winnik - Kadri - Santorelli
Lupul - Holland - Kessel
JVR - Bozak - Clarkson
Booth - Smith - Panik

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Winnik - Kadri - Santorelli
Lupul - Holland - Kessel
JVR - Bozak - Clarkson
Booth - Smith - Panik

And the reason for these line combos?
- you think Bozak can still contribute?
- Why would you keep Smith?
- What would you do with Komo?
- JVR playing with Clarkson?
- Why would you not promote Booth to 3rd line, to generate more offence (is he really a checker)?

agropop

Mar 3, 2011
Windsor
I'd pair Kessel with a centre who doesn't need MapQuest to find the red line.

Then again, having a scorer of Kessel's calibre spending 70% of his time in the wrong zone is exciting too...

Tough choices indeed.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
And the reason for these line combos?
- you think Bozak can still contribute?
- Why would you keep Smith?
- What would you do with Komo?
- JVR playing with Clarkson?
- Why would you not promote Booth to 3rd line, to generate more offence (is he really a checker)?

- Yes. Bozak is still a good player away from Phil Kessel. Will his production go down? Yes, but not as drastic as some may think. He has around 0.85 GF20 5v5 away from Kessel, this season and last season. His shot generation is also much improved.

- He's a decent 4th line center. He's plugged there because we only have 4 centers on the roster atm

- Komarov for all we know could be out for a while yet. When he does return I think he pushes Smith out of the lineup. Winnik takes Smith's spot, and Komarov goes with Santo and Kadri

- Yeah. JVR and Clarkson are two players who would complement each other well. They played together for like a game earlier this season, and didn't look half bad. The move was made to split up JVR/Bozak from Kessel.

- Which one of JVR, Lupul, or Winnik do you knock down on the left side? Booth on the 4th line isn't a bad thing. With Smith/Winnik and Panik, it makes a 4th line that can do a bit of everything. It's been effective line for us.

Essentially, the lines I proposed mixes up the two lines that have struggled possession wise for us. JVR-Bozak-Kessel and Lupul-Holland-Clarkson.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I like the idea of moving JVR off of Kessel's line and putting a more defensive/puck-possession player there, like Santa or Komarov. Probably Komarov, actually, given that the numbers increase would make Santa mighty expensive to re-sign.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I like the idea of moving JVR off of Kessel's line and putting a more defensive/puck-possession player there, like Santa or Komarov. Probably Komarov, actually, given that the numbers increase would make Santa mighty expensive to re-sign.

Komarov - Kadri - Kessel is a line I have wanted to see for far too long.

Komarov - Kadri - Kessel
JVR - Bozak - Clarkson
Lupul - Holland - Santorelli
Booth - Winnik - Panik

hmmm, think I like that more than the other ones I posted.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Komarov - Kadri - Kessel
Lupul - Bozak - Santorelli
JVR - Holland - Panik
Booth - Winnick - Clarkson

Fully optimized no entitlement lines. More wins!

Last edited:

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I'd probably wait till we lose a couple to make big changes but eventually I'd like to see.

Lupul Kadri Kessel
JVR Bozak Santorelli
Komarov Holland Clarkson
Booth Winnik Panik

-Kadri Lupul and Kessel deserve a longer look together.

-Santorelli can help Bozak and JVR on the defensive side and put the puck in the net to make an effective second line

-Holland Komarov and Clarkson can cycle the puck and wear down the other teams

-Winnik moves to center since I wanted Smith out of the lineup for Komarov

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

JvR just needs to get rid of his lazy ass hockey pants, and, put on a hard working pair of hockey pants.

JvR could do so much more for the top line, instead, he coasts around looking to cash in on a Kessel setup.

Lose the lead in your skates, and start working harder, JvR!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad