Changes coming to the CHL Education Packages?

big papa

Apr 21, 2012
Several of hockey's most prominent player agents — whose companies collectively represent about one-third of active NHLers — say the Canadian Hockey League needs to relax its policy of voiding educational scholarships 18 months after a player's over-age season in major-junior hockey.

As things now stand, a player who finishes CHL hockey at age 19 and plays in the ECHL, the AHL, or for a professional team in Europe for three years would be ineligible — at age 22 — to take advantage of his scholarship.

Full Article: http://www.tsn.ca/talent/nhl-player-agents-call-for-changes-to-chl-s-dirty-little-secret-1.222059

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think this whole story is hogwash and they are piling on the CHL when it is taking hits.

As per the story, the current allowable time for scholarship redemption is 18 months after junior eligibility is completed which is post OA year. So, to put that into perspective, those that are completing their Overage year this year would have until January 2017 to enter a post secondary program.

The Agents are fighting for an extension through September 2018.

Of course the agents would like the extra time for the player to decide on school because they get a piece of the contracts that are signed. That would extend the income for players returning to school by 18 months, thus, the income for the agents is extended for 18 months as they get a percentage of the contracts signed.

the further out of school a player is, the less likely they are to return to school. This could also mean that a player will end up continuing his professional career instead of going back to school which extends the player-agent relationship even further.

Life can get in the way of education for young people. You meet a girl, maybe get married, maybe have a kid and all of a sudden there are life responsibilities. The further away you are from high school graduation, the less likely you are to return to school. That's a fact.

I'd like to see it go the other way...less time. Put pressure on the kids to use their scholarship right after junior hockey. Go play CIS and get an education. If your skills continue to develop then go play pro hockey in the minors after graduation at age 22. That is not any different than anyone coming out of NCAA after graduation.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
I think this whole story is hogwash and they are piling on the CHL when it is taking hits.

As per the story, the current allowable time for scholarship redemption is 18 months after junior eligibility is completed which is post OA year. So, to put that into perspective, those that are completing their Overage year this year would have until January 2017 to enter a post secondary program.

The Agents are fighting for an extension through September 2018.

Of course the agents would like the extra time for the player to decide on school because they get a piece of the contracts that are signed. That would extend the income for players returning to school by 18 months, thus, the income for the agents is extended for 18 months as they get a percentage of the contracts signed.

the further out of school a player is, the less likely they are to return to school. This could also mean that a player will end up continuing his professional career instead of going back to school which extends the player-agent relationship even further.

Life can get in the way of education for young people. You meet a girl, maybe get married, maybe have a kid and all of a sudden there are life responsibilities. The further away you are from high school graduation, the less likely you are to return to school. That's a fact.

I'd like to see it go the other way...less time. Put pressure on the kids to use their scholarship right after junior hockey. Go play CIS and get an education. If your skills continue to develop then go play pro hockey in the minors after graduation at age 22. That is not any different than anyone coming out of NCAA after graduation

Agree with this 100%, I love how many people write off players as soon as they start playing in the CIS. I'm no bandwagoner but it's still decent hockey and pro contracts can be gained by exemplary (spelling??) play during or after a CIS career. Look at Jamie Wise, played a couple good seasons at Ryerson and now has an AHL deal. What this does is it also strengthens the CIS systems meaning more higher end recruits and more exciting hockey = more fans potentially.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Agree with this 100%, I love how many people write off players as soon as they start playing in the CIS. I'm no bandwagoner but it's still decent hockey and pro contracts can be gained by exemplary (spelling??) play during or after a CIS career. Look at Jamie Wise, played a couple good seasons at Ryerson and now has an AHL deal. What this does is it also strengthens the CIS systems meaning more higher end recruits and more exciting hockey = more fans potentially.

One of the players I respect most is Dan Tudin. Really late round pick for the 67's. He was picked mainly because of Killer's respect for Connie Tudin.

Kid rarely gets a shift his first two years. Gets matched up in his 19 year old year with Dan Tessier and Ben Gustavson. Fits well and they form a two year line through his OA year and he puts up just under a point a game for two seasons.

Plays four years at Dalhousie and finishes on the Dean's List. Plays a couple years in the ECHL and then goes to Europe and plays 9 years in Italy. So a total of 12 pro seasons after getting a four year degree.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario

Kevin Henderson come's to mind. Many people maybe asking WHO? He played for the Kitchener Rangers and really didn't stand out. Went to the CIS for 2 seasons. Signed a ELC, made the NHL, Scored a goal and now I am pretty sure he has captained the Calder cup winning team from last year.

CIS is up and coming.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Kevin Henderson come's to mind. Many people maybe asking WHO? He played for the Kitchener Rangers and really didn't stand out. Went to the CIS for 2 seasons. Signed a ELC, made the NHL, Scored a goal and now I am pretty sure he has captained the Calder cup winning team from last year.

CIS is up and coming.

the best part of CIS is there are virtually no politics.

IF a marginal player signs a contract in the ECHL and is trying to work his way up, he has to be so much better than a draft pick. Scouts and GM's etc typically give ample opportunities to their draft picks, especially higher ones.

in the CIS, a player is afforded an opportunity to earn his ice time fairly. This can lead to an opportunity that just isn't there for a player in a pro league. The talent level is solid with many ex-CHL players comprising the majority of the teams. It allows those players an extra four years to develop their skill, mature as a player and be better prepared for the riggors of trying to play a professional sport.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad