Seravalli: Changes are coming to the Calgary Flames this summer “Pre-eruption of volcano”

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Because he's not that good lol. He's an average 2nd pairing dman. If he can bring back a top-6 F or 1st+, you take it and run. He is replaceable.

Weegar, Kylington, Zadorov down the left side and then Poirier for years to come. Trading Hanifin would barely hurt this team next year (Kylington can replace him directly) and we can bring back a 1st or top-6F. That's a huge win in terms of maximizing the value of our assets.

You'd be comfortable paying Hanifin 6.5? Even 6? That is way too rich for a #3 LD with limited offensive upside. I don't hate Hanifin but that money should be better spent elsewhere. Boston can't afford Grzelcyk at 3.6875 past this year and just signed Hampus Lindholm (who is miles better than Hanifin) to 6.5. Kings just signed Mikey Anderson (a similar 2nd pairing LD) to 8 years at 4.125. Golden Knights just signed Brayden McNabb for 3x2.85. Colorado signed Girard (coming off of a better season than Hanifin has ever had) 2 summers ago 7 yrs 5 mil. Morrissey (who is miles better) at 6.25. Cernak 5.2x8.

Even Pelech (who is a legit top-pairing D, significantly better than Hanifin) got 5.75 after playing on the top-pair leading his team to back to back ECF's.

Contract-wise, something between 5-5.5 is fair value, anything more than 5.5 is too much. And even at 5.25, he's still a replaceable asset. Kylington (and eventually Poirier) should step into that 2nd pair LD spot at a much cheaper price and provide similar value. Not saying we should let Hanifin walk for free, but if he's bringing back a 1st or similarly-aged top-6F that's a great move for our team.

That is an absurd overvaluation of Hanifin. Pulock is a 1D who anchored a D core to back to back ECF's, within one game of the Cup Finals. Playing over 22 mins a night, anchoring the PK and playing top-pairing night-in night-out. When Tanev went down in the playoffs last year our whole D crumbled and we added Weegar to shore up the left side. Hanifin is currently probably our 4th best dman, arguably 5th if Kylington were in town. Pulock as a comparable isn't even close. Better comparables are McNabb, Mikey Anderson, and (on the higher-end) Girard. I bet if you ask Isles fans if Hanifin and Pulock are comparable they'd laugh.
I think Hanifin is a 2/3. I'd be comfortable signing him at a 6-6.5M cap hit yes. I think with the exception of Hampus Lindholm Hanifin is substantially better than all of the players you listed. I think he's good for 40-45 points in an average year. He also eats minutes against top competition. That's not easy to find.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Current healthy lineup minus Kylington has Hanifin on the second pairing, which is where belong. He was routinely exposed against top competition on the top pairing and so there's no way he's worth 6M+ on the Flames, especially given all the other free agents they have to sign.

Like I know the cap is a really difficult concept for the Flames but you don't give second pairing defenseman 6M+ on longterm deals unless you really like being mediocre.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
weegar and hanifin fit CBJ's needs, and CBJ has the LAK first + some young guys/prospects to dangle. feels like there could be something there.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Bond

May 10, 2012
Current healthy lineup minus Kylington has Hanifin on the second pairing, which is where belong. He was routinely exposed against top competition on the top pairing and so there's no way he's worth 6M+ on the Flames, especially given all the other free agents they have to sign.

Like I know the cap is a really difficult concept for the Flames but you don't give second pairing defenseman 6M+ on longterm deals unless you really like being mediocre.
Hanifin will get 6+ for sure on free agency.

Ledge And Dairy

Current healthy line up has Hanifin getting the most ice time over the last 2 games in any situation and at just 5v5. You can call him "2nd pair" all you like but the fact remain that he is still a 1st pair and #2 defenseman by definition of ice time. He has been a consistent top 40 defenseman in the league for 3 years running now and is absolutely worth a 6M deal. Thinking he is worth anything less is just a horrible and bias take on your part

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

"Routinely exposed?" That's a big statement. Hanifin has top 10 analytics over the past 3 seasons playing against top competition, so the numbers say the exact opposite of your eyes. They are actually better than Andersson's. Hanifin isn't really a 2nd pairing defenseman. He's a solid #2 or an exceptional #3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad