Change of Season's Season????

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrickRed

Oct 23, 2003
Phoenix
Visit site
Let's think out of the box here -- why couldn't a new season start in April and run thru September???? There would be less competition from other sports (really only baseball that time of year -- not football, NCAA March Madness, etc.). Please reply if you have real life knowledge regarding quality of ice in summer, especially for teams in the southern and western United States.

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It's an interesting concept, but I'm sure the last thing people want to do over summer holidays in Canada is sit in a stuffy arena & watch a hockey game simular to currently trying to convince people to watch games in the Southern States......

One or two might be a neat idea, but it's a winter sport ... the kids are playing soccer by summer......

If San Jose had knocked out Calgary last year, I'm sure the vast majority of Canada wouldn't have given a hoot about watching & finding out who won the cup.... as it was, most of America didn't give a crap either......

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I'd personally like to see the season start a tad earlier than it currently does and of course , end earlier .

ideally a mid September start with a mid May end

Go Flames Go*

Yeah head to head with Baseball we would kill em, but hockey is not a summer sport.

two out of three*

Go Flames Go said:
Yeah head to head with Baseball we would kill em, but hockey is not a summer sport.

Maybe people would think of ice hockey, when its hot outside..

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
You seem to forget the all the preparations teams go through during May and June to keep arenas cool enough so the ice doesn't immediately turn to slush when the puck is dropped. They turn on the AC to the highest level, close all the doors so the cold air doesn't seep out and try and get the building down into the lower 60s. And that's just New York in May. I recall that they brought in extra AC units (big ones) to cool either Tampa Bay's or Florida's arena (or maybe both) during their Stanley Cup runs. It's just not feasible to do that game after game after game during the season.

Not to mention I would go from seeing 25-35 games a season to about 6. Much as I like hockey, I can't imagine sitting in MSG in August watching it. It's a winter sport for more than one reason.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Actually, I read in SI that Tampa Bay's arena is built to accomodate to the temperature. They create a seal on their building and that keeps all the cold air in and they turn it extra low for the game days, so when fans entering they dont lose so much a/c as they walk in. Once in, they have the place sealed like a bubble so that the indoor temperature is consistent.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
nno dice.

hockey is meant to be played in november decenmber etc

and its meant to be watched then too.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I wouldn't be opposed to starting the season a month later. That's just my preference though it would probably be best if it was kept the way it was but if you push everything back 1 month, half of the playoffs is played after the NBA playoffs are done. In olympic years the olympics would occur a month earlier which would lessen the clutter of games to end the season.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
futurcorerock said:
Actually, I read in SI that Tampa Bay's arena is built to accomodate to the temperature. They create a seal on their building and that keeps all the cold air in and they turn it extra low for the game days, so when fans entering they dont lose so much a/c as they walk in. Once in, they have the place sealed like a bubble so that the indoor temperature is consistent.

Then it must have been Florida who had to rent huge ACs to get the building cold enough. And I wonder if TB's arena could handle doing it through July and August when May and early June are (cool) memories.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Florida is bad enough but I can't imagine the difficulties that would face Phoenix. The average temperature here in the summer is about 105 degrees. Average!!!

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
IF the lockout is settled in time to have a sesason I don't see a reason not to go longer this year if it means there's a legitimate season. Beyond that, the schedule should remain as it always has.

If it means that the playoffs end in late July, so be it. Besides, it would only be 2 or 4 teams who reach July anyway. Then the next season could start up in late October/early Nov. The season '06/'07 could then start as it always has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->