"Change of Scenery" Trade Candidates

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
There's been an abnormally high number of young players asking for trades these days (PLD for Laine among them).

Reportedly, Sam Bennett and Mete have asked for trades. I suspect that more candidates would emerge, especially those with expiring contracts.

Blockbuster trades and draft picks aside, what trade chips do the Canucks have in acquiring a change of scenery type player? The obvious candidates appear to be Virtanen and Gaudette. Between the two, who would you keep? Juolevi might emerge as a candidate as well as he's potentially seen as a player with some potential who you could stash in your taxi squad for the time being.

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
There's been an abnormally high number of young players asking for trades these days (PLD for Laine among them).

Reportedly, Sam Bennett and Mete have asked for trades. I suspect that more candidates would emerge, especially those with expiring contracts.

Blockbuster trades and draft picks aside, what trade chips do the Canucks have in acquiring a change of scenery type player? The obvious candidates appear to be Virtanen and Gaudette. Between the two, who would you keep? Juolevi might emerge as a candidate as well as he's potentially seen as a player with some potential who you could stash in your taxi squad for the time being.
For sure you keep the Hobey Baker Award winner, Adam Gaudette. He has hardly been given a chance to play with decent players unlike Hoglander who was slotted into the 2nd line right away...and likely would not have been there if we signed Toffoli. Now, not saying Hoglander does not deserve to be 2nd line...so far, he has proven himself to be worthy of that position. Gaudette still has lots of potential and if given a chance with some talented players, will be fine...plus he has a nice salary. Jake, on the other hand, has been given too many opportnities over the years and has a lousy cap hit for what he brings. The only thing keeping him here is Benning, our self-proclaimed Draft Guru, not wanting to finally admit he made a mistake taking Jake!

Reactions: MarkMM

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Pearson and Sutter are UFAs at the end of the year. The Canucks have to make decisions there.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Pearson and Sutter are UFAs at the end of the year. The Canucks have to make decisions there.

Sutter is replaceable. They do need to make a decision on Pearson. Will only be 29 next season and has been a real solid fit here. If there is an upgrade, then great. But given the market conditions, he's probably a guy you can re-sign cheaply (unless Montreal or Calgary decides to target him).

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I'd move Virtanen and Gaudette, together or separate for the right return. Virtanen is never going to put it together, especially not here. Gaudette is 24, and is nearing he is what he is category.

Sutter is far too unreliable health wise to bring back. I don't think you can depend on him to be your regular bottom six center.

(Edit to be clear virtanen I would move without a second thought, Gaudette I want a good deal. Their value isn't the same in my eyes. )

Reactions: MarkMM and David71

JimmyJiveJones

Jan 28, 2019
Sutter is replaceable. They do need to make a decision on Pearson. Will only be 29 next season and has been a real solid fit here. If there is an upgrade, then great. But given the market conditions, he's probably a guy you can re-sign cheaply (unless Montreal or Calgary decides to target him).

Dont think we can afford Pearson even if he does take a paycut. But it opens the door for Pod to take his spot. The bulldog type players like Pod and Hog.......... cant wait

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
So Elliotte Friedman is reporting that Nashville is one of the teams interested in Gaudette and Boston is checking out Virtanen. He says Sharks poked around during the off-season.

Maybe my proposed three way lease/rental trade between Calgary (Bennett), Boston (Ritchie), and Vancouver (Virtanen) might have a chance of happening.

Who should we realistically target for Gaudette in a potential trade? Can we pry Fabbro away? Nashville does has expansion draft protection issues on D.

Reactions: David71

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
This team needs young players who can play good defensive hockey. Why does it seem like that's so hard to draft for us these days?

You gotta have extra picks to better your odds,
you gotta have competent scouting staffs,
you gotta have a ahl team that can actually develops your young prospects.

We have none of that right now.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
This team needs young players who can play good defensive hockey. Why does it seem like that's so hard to draft for us these days?

Petey and Hoglander are pretty good defensively. If you're talking about players whose defensive game stands out, I have certainly made the case for drafting more of those guys in the later rounds. It's a bit of a Cath22 though. Most late round draft picks don't pan out and Even if they do pan out, if they aren't offensively productive they're considered replacement level players. We certainly didn't think much of Nic Dowd after he had 3 goals in 40 games here. I still have hope that Lockwood pans out as at least another Motte type.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Flame away:

Calling it now, the trade of the decade so far:
Matt Duchene (50% retained), Ryan Johansen (50% retained) and Dante Fabro
Nashville Predators - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

For: Gaudette and Erickson (2M retained), Roussel, Beagle
Vancouver Canucks - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Canucks save in the first 2 years and pick up 24M or so years 3-6.

But Nashville saves 24M which is a massive saving on 2 x 8million dollar clunkers who are playing at a 4M or less replacement value.

For those thinking the Nashville players have any real value right now like they used to; at least Johansen and Duchene do not.
HockeyBuzz.com - Eklund - $16 Million. ZERO Goals. PredsNation Needs to Get WAY More Angry; Tues Buzz

Matt Duchene (50% retained), Ryan Johansen (50% retained) and Dante Fabro are an upgrade on G E R B but cost more in the long run but Canucks retain immediate cap space to sign hughes, ep and demko.

I will stop now.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Flame away:

But Nashville saves 24M which is a massive saving on 2 x 8million dollar clunkers who are playing at a 4M or less replacement value.

For those thinking the Nashville players have any real value right now like they used to; at least Johansen and Duchene do not.
HockeyBuzz.com - Eklund - $16 Million. ZERO Goals. PredsNation Needs to Get WAY More Angry; Tues Buzz

Matt Duchene (50% retained), Ryan Johansen (50% retained) and Dante Fabro are an upgrade on G E R B but cost more in the long run but Canucks retain immediate cap space to sign hughes, ep and demko.

I will stop now.

Man Johansen got f***ed by injury big time.
The foot speed never came back

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Flame away:

I will stop now.

Your trade so heavily favors the Canucks it really has no chance.

Duchesne and Johansen are definitely overpaid but they are still good players. Including every cap dump we have is a fairy tale.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Are either of Johansen or Duchesne good players now? I am super wary of acquiring high paid vets.

Like (if Duchene is still good):

Gaudette/Virtanen
Beagle/Roussel

for

Duchene OR Johansen (with some retention)

Might be worth considering, but far from enticing. Bottom line is we need a strong 2-way 3C.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Day after TDL the following MUST be off the team:

Sutter
Edler
Pearson

HOPEFUL BUT HOPES IS JUST HOPES N DREAMS:

Roussell
Beagle
Baertchi

NO HOPE IN HELL UNLESS THE NEW GM IS GENIOUS:

Myers
Eriksson

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
So Elliotte Friedman is reporting that Nashville is one of the teams interested in Gaudette and Boston is checking out Virtanen. He says Sharks poked around during the off-season.

Maybe my proposed three way lease/rental trade between Calgary (Bennett), Boston (Ritchie), and Vancouver (Virtanen) might have a chance of happening.

Who should we realistically target for Gaudette in a potential trade? Can we pry Fabbro away? Nashville does has expansion draft protection issues on D.
Do not trade Gaudette!! Too early to give up on him.....no problem with Jake...we have given him more time than he has deserved.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Flame away:

I will stop now.

No team will retain that kind of dough for 5+ years

If they're truly done with either player, they probably dangle them in the expansion draft to see if Seattle takes them, then go from there

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Day after TDL the following MUST be off the team:

Sutter
Edler
Pearson

HOPEFUL BUT HOPES IS JUST HOPES N DREAMS:

Roussell
Beagle
Baertchi

NO HOPE IN HELL UNLESS THE NEW GM IS GENIOUS:

Myers
Eriksson
All of this happening is why we need a new (and good) GM in place ASAP, so he can prepare. We should come out of this TDL with draft capital.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
there may be a single trade this year. unless players want out you are not going to see major movement. players are not going to want to go through covid protocols and live out of suitcases in strange cities in lockdown and full isolation from their new team mates.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Your trade so heavily favors the Canucks it really has no chance.

Duchesne and Johansen are definitely overpaid but they are still good players. Including every cap dump we have is a fairy tale.

What? No Way! That's worse than trading Neal for Lucic. You're picking up additional years of $$$ cap hit. Duchene has 5 more years left on his contract. Johansen has 4. Both these players have declined and aren't worth their cap hit at age 30/28. It's going to get ugly from there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->