Change in Smoking Zone at SBP.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
This whole "smokers vs non-smokers" thing would all go away if we were just allowed to murder people. What, like some smoker is going to catch me in a foot race after I've offed his pal... with THOSE lungs? Heh. Good luck with that, Hackey McSmokesalot.

Stupid feds telling us what we can or can't do.

corksens

Jul 19, 2005
Really?

Because they're both addictive substances.

Depending on various factors (body weight, experience, intelligence, age, etc.) you could very well become a disturbance in public. So please don't tell me drinking has zero impact on the comfort of others.
A single drink won't lead anyone to become a public disturbance.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
A single drink won't lead anyone to become a public disturbance.

Like I said, your absolutes don't apply.. A single drink to you may not do anything but to some it will..

You obviously have this wicked hatred of smoking but that doesn't make drinking "better" than smoking...

corksens

Jul 19, 2005
Like I said, your absolutes don't apply.. A single drink to you may not do anything but to some it will..

You obviously have this wicked hatred of smoking but that doesn't make drinking "better" than smoking...
A single drink won't impact anyone, slim or not, to the point of a public disturbance.

Not unless you have starved them for weeks.

We don't have to deal in absolutes for my point to make sense. There is absolutely ZERO positive outcome to smoking. It is a losing deal all across the board.

corksens

Jul 19, 2005
And my wicked hatred of smoking, even after I've admitted I don't feel the government needs to get involved, stems from two facts...

1. It stinks like hot garbage.
2. It is a huge drain on the economy.

In the context of Sens games, I'm glad they addressed the issue.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
And my wicked hatred of smoking, even after I've admitted I don't feel the government needs to get involved, stems from two facts...

Huh? Huge drain on the economy? Why do you think they even sell the things? Do you know how much money is raked in from cigarettes?

I get that it comes with health costs, but your fooling yourself if you don't think alcohol has the same if not more health costs associated with it...

and your right in the context of Sens games it is the right move, as long as it's done properly..

FlapjackSilver

Dec 15, 2010
Calgary
Whether you can believe it or not, there are reasons other than to 'cause a public disturbance' that people smoke.

So you don't like the smell? What if I don't like the smell of your new cologne? Is it now banned, because I think it smells like 'hot garbage'?

Accidents caused by drinking - injuries, D&D etc. aren't a drain on the economy? resources?

Please.

JonnyMacSen

2nd round Chlapik!
Nov 4, 2009
Ottawa, ON
What causes more of a disturbance at SBP when the Leafs are in town, alcohol or tobacco? Perhaps they should ban alcohol from those games?

For the record, I'm ok with the change...Trying to quit anyway

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
It's 2013, why does anyone smoke cigarettes anymore?

I've never taken a drag I'm my life. If it looks like ****, smells like **** and kills you while draining your bank account then why would you even try it in the first place?

dpw

Jul 29, 2004
# 1 killer drug Cigs
# 2 killer drug Alchohol
# 3 killer drug Perscription medication

All taxed

The plot thickens.

Legend Killer

Nov 15, 2007
# 1 killer drug Cigs
# 2 killer drug Alchohol
# 3 killer drug Perscription medication

All taxed

The plot thickens.

If somebody wants to drink beside me at a restaurant, I dont care.

If somebody wants to pop pills beside me at work, I dont care.

If somebody wants to smoke beside me, I care...

WebNewfie

Nov 5, 2008
In other Ottawa smoking news, Bluesfest is going to be 100% smoke free this year.

I wonder if they'll try policing it in a 20,000-30,000 crowd on a night with a big headliner.

Where did you hear this? I haven't heard anything from the organisers yet this year on it... Good luck on policing that though! They can't even moderate the pot smoking at that venue.

EDIT - nevermind - found the link. Should be interesting at Bluesfest this year for sure!

Last edited:

dpw

Jul 29, 2004
Where did you hear this? I haven't heard anything from the organisers yet this year on it... Good luck on policing that though! They can't even moderate the pot smoking at that venue.

EDIT - nevermind - found the link. Should be interesting at Bluesfest this year for sure!

Should be pretty empty.

Max Power

Nov 15, 2005
Breathing in second hand smoke is obviously not like skipping through daisies and I don't blame people for avoiding it. But I have to laugh at people who make such a massive fuss about it. Some people spent way too much time on the nipple and being coddled by complaining overbearing parents. Our spoiled western society has created the biggest bunch of whiners to the point of embarrassment. Try living in complete poverty, like 80% of the world does. Then come back and cry about your second hand smoke you smelled for a few min :sarcasm:

dpw

Jul 29, 2004
Breathing in second hand smoke is obviously not like skipping through daisies and I don't blame people for avoiding it. But I have to laugh at people who make such a massive fuss about it. Some people spent way too much time on the nipple and being coddled by complaining overbearing parents. Our spoiled western society has created the biggest bunch of whiners to the point of embarrassment. Try living in complete poverty, like 80% of the world does. Then come back and cry about your second hand smoke you smelled for a few min :sarcasm:

Great point.

It boggles my mind that second hand smoke is a hardship for people. The processed food these whiners eat is is full of toxins and harmfull, not second hand smoke.

FlapjackSilver

Dec 15, 2010
Calgary
If somebody wants to drink beside me at a restaurant, I dont care.

If somebody wants to pop pills beside me at work, I dont care.

If somebody wants to smoke beside me, I care...

This isn't even really possible anymore. With new smoking laws and regulations, the only real way you can be exposed to second hand smoke, is if you're freely in a place that allows smoking (smoking area).

People who have legitimate breathing, or lung problems have every right to complain.

If you don't, suck it up, and move on. There are plenty of behaviours you indulge in that I find offensive as well.

(I'm looking at you Crocs wearers and Nickleback listeners:sarcasm:)

sauce11

Apr 8, 2010
the way i see it, a stroll to gate 1 will either:

A. stop the phony smokers from even trying, or
B. joe smoker gets some more exercise

all while keeping complainers quiet. good move Ottawa Senators management:thumbu:

WilderPegasus*

Why is it that the smokers in this thread have such lame arguments? It is all ridiculous comparisons and blame shifting.

It's good that Scotiabank Place is finally doing something to combat the scourge that are smokers. There is nothing worse than having a gross smelling smoker sitting next to you at a game. At least now they'll have to walk a little farther to get the stink off of them. If only they'd enforce the laws for concerts.

FlapjackSilver

Dec 15, 2010
Calgary
Why is it that the smokers in this thread have such lame arguments? It is all ridiculous comparisons and blame shifting.

It's good that Scotiabank Place is finally doing something to combat the scourge that are smokers. There is nothing worse than having a gross smelling smoker sitting next to you at a game. At least now they'll have to walk a little farther to get the stink off of them. If only they'd enforce the laws for concerts.

Same could be said for your argument.

I've never seen the word 'stink' thrown around so much (aside from the numerous B. Lee threads).

WilderPegasus*

Same could be said for your argument.

Only if said person doesn't know the definition of the word argument.

I've never seen the word 'stink' thrown around so much (aside from the numerous B. Lee threads).

I used that word once. ONCE. But nice try at hyperbole.

It is true though. Smokers stink really bad. If I had to choose between sitting next to a smoker or someone who just soiled themselves.... I'd have a hard decision on my hands!

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

There is a reason a pack of cigarettes costs 2 to 3 times as much up here as it does in the states. The price difference is all tax which is pumped directly into healthcare.

Same reason alcohol and certain foods are taxed much more heavily up here.

As for the stink . . . there are plenty of people walking around that stink worse then any smoker. We should ban them too!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad