Confirmed with Link: Chandler Stephenson from the Caps for 5th Round Pick (2021)

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Pacioretty-Stastny-Stone
Marchessault-Karlsson-Smith
Carrier-Glass-Tuch
Nosek-Stephenson-Reaves
Roy, Pirri, Eakin

Besides wanting more offensive upside from Carrier on the third line, I think that is good lines and good depth. You could argue you need an offensively elite player in that top six but that's something that won't change for now.

Now, on to the defense!

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
This could be the precursor to another move. We have a glut of forwards, our D needs an upgrade, so maybe, just maybe there's something brewing for some blueline help.

Who among the forward group can we afford to trade without causing a big issue though?

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Who among the forward group can we afford to trade without causing a big issue though?

Stasny or Eakin come to mind. Obviously trading Eakin is contingent upon his health.

I hate to say it, but I think the dark horse could be Marchy. As much as I like the guy, currently he's not producing. He's so streaky, plus he misses the net far too much, & when he's not scoring, he's not bringing much to the ice. He doesn't kill penalties & his exit opens a spot in the top 6 for Tuch. With that said, I feel like he could be an attractive option to a team who might need some offensive infusion.

Last edited:

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
The worst... the absolute worst part of this trade.... it's not Leipsic :puppy::puppy::puppy::shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:whine::whine::whine::whine::whine:

Caps fan here. Stephenson is all about speed and unfortunately nothing else. He can PK decently and thats its. Once he's with the puck in the offensive zone, he has no f****n idea what to do. 95% of plays dies on his stick. Has weak shot. Very, very frustrating player. You better find a better option to your bottom six if you want any contribution from your depth guys. I would take a bag of pucks for him so 5th round is welcome. Good luck to him though, wish him all the best.

And speaking of Leipsic, idk if it's irony, but he has been awesome for us :thumbu:

Cheers!

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
The most likely thing to take away from this trade is that they're standing pat with their D for the next month or they've found a taker for Holden. The only significant change I see with the forward group is Glass gets sent to the AHL until the TDL if they add another Dman with a significant cap hit.

Or they plan on trading for a Dman with less than 2m daily cap hit remaining and waiving Holden & putting Eakin on LTIR.

Caps fan here. Stephenson is all about speed and unfortunately nothing else. He can PK decently and thats its. Once he's with the puck in the offensive zone, he has no f****n idea what to do. 95% of plays dies on his stick. Has weak shot. Very, very frustrating player. You better find a better option to your bottom six if you want any contribution from your depth guys. I would take a bag of pucks for him so 5th round is welcome. Good luck to him though, wish him all the best.

And speaking of Leipsic, idk if it's irony, but he has been awesome for us :thumbu:

Cheers!

Speed, you say?

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
So, Roy is down, which means Glass sticks at 3C (good) and Stephenson maybe provides healthy scratch depth? IMO, Eakin is getting traded for D and what we see in our forward lines is what it will be for the remainder of the season. But I thought they tried moving Eaks during the off season? If they didn't get any good offers for a healthy Eakin coming off a career year with only one year remaining on his contract, what are they getting for him now? Conversely, if GMKM is going to move one of the current top 6 to make room for Tuch, how does that improve bottom 6 scoring? Or Glass' development?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
So, Roy is down, which means Glass sticks at 3C (good) and Stephenson maybe provides healthy scratch depth? IMO, Eakin is getting traded for D and what we see in our forward lines is what it will be for the remainder of the season. But I thought they tried moving Eaks during the off season? If they didn't get any good offers for a healthy Eakin coming off a career year with only one year remaining on his contract, what are they getting for him now? Conversely, if GMKM is going to move one of the current top 6 to make room for Tuch, how does that improve bottom 6 scoring? Or Glass' development?

I believe it was Reaves and Holden they tried to move during the summer.
Eakin just got his 2nd concussion of the season. Who knows if he'll even be healthy be Christmas.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017

Judging from their sending Roy down, it's looking like he's the healthy scratch depth.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
31 Thoughts: Who's next on the NHL rental market? - Sportsnet.ca

Friedman quips
Chandler Stephenson has points in four straight games after scoring his sixth of the year in Vegas’s 3–2 win over Minnesota on Tuesday night. Word is that when it became clear Stephenson could be the odd man out in Washington, Capitals GM Brian MacLellan made it clear he’d do his best to make sure the forward went to a good situation. Players talk about this stuff.

More good press for McCrimmon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->