Championship side Coventry has a chance getting to the Europa League next season

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
They reached to the FA Cup semi-finals for the first time in their history
If they beat Man Utd at Wembley they'll reach the final and if and when Man City beats Chelsea
Coventry gets automatic pass to Europa League, win or loss.

If this happens, i'm not sure how many times a non first division team in England has played in European competitions.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
If they beat Man Utd at Wembley they'll reach the final and if and when Man City beats Chelsea

If this happens, i'm not sure how many times a non first division team in England has played in European competitions.
The loser of the FA Cup no longer gets automatic Europa qualification if the winner is eligible for a higher competition. They changed that rule about a decade ago.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't think the DFB pokal still sends the losing finalist to the EL if the winner has qualified for Europe via league play, but if it did, Germany would be sending a team from outside of the first division as well.

The semifinal matchups are Leverkusen vs BuLi2 Dusseldorf, and BuLi2 Kaiserslautern vs 3rd division Saarbrücken. It's been a really crazy season in the cup.

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I don't think the DFB pokal still sends the losing finalist to the EL if the winner has qualified for Europe via league play, but if it did, Germany would be sending a team from outside of the first division as well.

The semifinal matchups are Leverkusen vs BuLi2 Dusseldorf, and BuLi2 Kaiserslautern vs 3rd division Saarbrücken. It's been a really crazy season in the cup.
It was a UEFA change, not an England change. If the winner of the cup is already qualified through league position, then there is an additional spot given based on league position.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Yea, the "replacement" spots are only eligible via league position now.

Granted Coventry still has a chance, although that's a pretty low chance given they'd have to beat United and then City/Chelsea.

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
With regards to the question of if a non-first division English side has played in Europe, the answer is yes. Wigan Athletic won the FA Cup the same year they were relegated (2012-13) and so played in the Europa League from the Championship in 2013-14. They did not fare well in Europe in what was likely the weakest group in the competition, taking 5 points against Rubin Kazan, Maribor, and Zulte Waregem.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Coventry won the FA cup in 1986-87, remember some moments of that match quite well.

Back then I called the match The Mabbutt show (in reference to Muppet show), it was one of those Spursy matches and moments.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Wrong.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Man City cant play in the Europa League and Champions League
Fa Cup winner qualifies to the Europa League, so if a winner can't
the runner up will automatically get the position

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad