Euro: Champions League Semifinals

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
For me, the big story here is the quality of coaching (when Klopp came to Anfield I posted on this very site that Liverpool had achieved the then rare feat of bringing to the EPL an elite coach who might be good for a decade of his best years at the club). Consider that a few years ago, a Liverpool versus Spurs final would have meant the aging version of Kenny Dalglish versus Harry Redknapp (which is exactly why it never happened). Meanwhile, the English media were trying to tell themselves Mancini was the second coming of Mourinho.

The authentic Mourinho had at that point not yet suffered the indignity of the game passing his tactics by, and he was at the Bernabeu. Barca had Guardiola. Unai Emery and his glass ceiling were at Valencia.

Now we have Real Madrid coached by the same man who didn't want to be their coach last summer, and Barca has Valverde, who I wouldn't even place in the second rank of contemporary coaches.

What English football has now is the priceless combination of money and smart direction (as well as Unai Emery and his glass ceiling). The biggest danger is that the clubs fall for their own hype, and begin to think they can chuck anyone in the dugout without missing a step.

Some very good points. While I think next year could be back to "normal", with Madrid, Bayern, Juve and PSG refreshing their squads and back to playing at "superclub" level, and while La Liga with Barca and Real will always attract the best players and have the best chance of winning the CL... The manager elite is now definitely in the EPL,

It's not just how they coach and manage, it's that they're an active lure for top players as well. Klopp has made Liverpool into one of the most desirable destinations for elite footballers, all in 4 years.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Funny he cites Getafe who never in my time made the CL. ( could this year but we'll see) Yet, year after year the likes of Sevilla/Valencia win Europa. Sure, EPL don't care about it yet, I see tears when handball gate happened so which is it? Spare me this dick measuring contest. When was the last time an EPL team actually made noise in Europe this year notwithstanding. Spurs/Arsenal were canon fodder for big teams much like minnows such as Getafe. Hell Malaga were a goal from the semis some odd years ago and they are a mid table side.

Most British cheer for their own due to insecurity. Rio cheering for Spurs is the funniest shit ever imagine Sevilla cheering for Valencia like that. I doubt i'd ever see the day.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Three finals in the last four years for one of them. The rest have some work to do to catch up.

I agree with the last part about insecurity. It's totally ridiculous.

I meant to say CL. Even then it applies to Europa to a lesser degree obviously. Just basing it off winners though. Past 10 years in the CL one Italian, one German( all German final), one English. While there's been six Spanish winners. 2 All Spanish finals.

I'll go even further and say the past decade we have only seen 5 English teams in the Semis.

in Europa 6 Spanish winners the last decade. 2 english, A Portuguese and a Ukrainian.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Yeah. Spurs are not playing that final without Llorente. One thing is the random goal against City, but he did exceptionally well against Ajax (even if he obviously should have scored the second goal before Lucas did).

Won't work against Liverpool though. van Dijk and partly Matip are not the same as Blind in those kind of situations.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Yeah. Spurs are not playing that final without Llorente. One thing is the random goal against City, but he did exceptionally well against Ajax (even if he obviously should have scored the second goal before Lucas did).

Won't work against Liverpool though. van Dijk and partly Matip are not the same as Blind in those kind of situations.

It's not just Blind, he ragdolled De Ligt for large parts of that second half as well.
He changed the whole game, literally. Spurs no longer had to build by trying to beat the press, they just needed 3 seconds to get a quality ball to Llorente, and he won the ball, chested it down, 9 times out of 10. It was amazing to watch.

I think he can do the same vs Matip and Gomez, though maybe not vs VVD and Lovren, who are both more aggressive.
(though VVD and Matip will play)
If he can get a match-up vs Matip, he should be fine. Vs Virgil... I wouldn't bet on anyone vs Virgil.

It reminded of of our (Croatia's) game in the WC vs Denmark. Out press was excellent, Perisic/Rebic/Mandzukic would run themselves into the ground and cause turnovers - except vs Denmark.
They never tried to build, they never tried to pass, they just punted the ball to Poulsen on the right wing and he would win it every single time in a mismatch vs Strinic. It was frustrating, but you can't really move a CB to the touchline to challenge him and leave the middle open.
Just smart tactics.
Well played by the Danes back then, well played by Poch yesterday.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

5762459eb3520d9e04a152bb55f7518d.jpg

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
It's not just Blind, he ragdolled De Ligt for large parts of that second half as well.
He changed the whole game, literally. Spurs no longer had to build by trying to beat the press, they just needed 3 seconds to get a quality ball to Llorente, and he won the ball, chested it down, 9 times out of 10. It was amazing to watch.

I think he can do the same vs Matip and Gomez, though maybe not vs VVD and Lovren, who are both more aggressive.
(though VVD and Matip will play)
If he can get a match-up vs Matip, he should be fine. Vs Virgil... I wouldn't bet on anyone vs Virgil.

It reminded of of our (Croatia's) game in the WC vs Denmark. Out press was excellent, Perisic/Rebic/Mandzukic would run themselves into the ground and cause turnovers - except vs Denmark.
They never tried to build, they never tried to pass, they just punted the ball to Poulsen on the right wing and he would win it every single time in a mismatch vs Strinic. It was frustrating, but you can't really move a CB to the touchline to challenge him and leave the middle open.
Just smart tactics.
Well played by the Danes back then, well played by Poch yesterday.

He did well against de Ligt as well. Agree.

I have watched Llorente for two years now playing for Spurs. It would be an exaggeration to say he has been completely useless all the time, but I have never seen him being close to as effective over a full 45 mins as he was last night (he did well over 45 mins away against Real last year in the CL).

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Kane is not Llorente :)

And to be honest Kane is not Kane this year either. Not that he has been poor, but certainly not unplayable as he has at times earlier.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
He did well against de Ligt as well. Agree.

I have watched Llorente for two years now playing for Spurs. It would be an exaggeration to say he has been completely useless all the time, but I have never seen him being close to as effective over a full 45 mins as he was last night (he did well over 45 mins away against Real last year in the CL).

Dembele looked like a poor signing for a long while as well - then all of a sudden he's their best player for large chunks of the season.
Moura didn't seem like a glorious acquisition either, didn't play a lot, when he did he wasn't exactly stellar - then this season he started off much better, had some good games (despite getting buried on the bench at times due to Kane/Son), and it all peaked last night.

Credit where credit's due, Poch made the signings, stuck with them, and all 3 ended up being solid transfers/signings.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I think some of that also stems from what you're seeing with Liverpool and a number of their signings. Being asked to play how they're being asked to play with Poch and Klopp takes a while, largely due to the physicality needed and the press expectations. You saw it with Robertson, Fabinho, Ox and Keita. All four took a bit of time to 'adapt' to what Klopp wanted, and he's mentioned repeatedly that he likes to have a training camp to bed in players.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Dembele looked like a poor signing for a long while as well - then all of a sudden he's their best player for large chunks of the season.
Moura didn't seem like a glorious acquisition either, didn't play a lot, when he did he wasn't exactly stellar - then this season he started off much better, had some good games (despite getting buried on the bench at times due to Kane/Son), and it all peaked last night.

Credit where credit's due, Poch made the signings, stuck with them, and all 3 ended up being solid transfers/signings.

Wouldn't compare any of those to Llorente - who isn't exactly young.

And shouldn't forget Sissoko. He was human last night, but been our best player for quite some time (maybe alongside Vertonghen).

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
He also has to be fit first.

For the final yes, but he hasn't been close this year even when fit. And because of his injuries one can't blame fatigue the same way as earlier when he has had slow periods.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Seems a bit pointless sitting at the stadium watching the game on a TV?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad