Euro: Champions League Semifinals

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
I really don't know what to say. Congrats to Spurs and their fans. That was utterly gut wrenching. . I'm sure with the passage of time I'll be able to really appreciate this run, but right now I just want to forget about bothering with sports. It really hurts too much.

Reactions: robertmac43

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
After many years of Spanish total domination, funny to see the EPL roaring back with Arsenal and Chelsea tomorrow as well. Will it last though?

For me, the big story here is the quality of coaching (when Klopp came to Anfield I posted on this very site that Liverpool had achieved the then rare feat of bringing to the EPL an elite coach who might be good for a decade of his best years at the club). Consider that a few years ago, a Liverpool versus Spurs final would have meant the aging version of Kenny Dalglish versus Harry Redknapp (which is exactly why it never happened). Meanwhile, the English media were trying to tell themselves Mancini was the second coming of Mourinho.

The authentic Mourinho had at that point not yet suffered the indignity of the game passing his tactics by, and he was at the Bernabeu. Barca had Guardiola. Unai Emery and his glass ceiling were at Valencia.

Now we have Real Madrid coached by the same man who didn't want to be their coach last summer, and Barca has Valverde, who I wouldn't even place in the second rank of contemporary coaches.

What English football has now is the priceless combination of money and smart direction (as well as Unai Emery and his glass ceiling). The biggest danger is that the clubs fall for their own hype, and begin to think they can chuck anyone in the dugout without missing a step.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I mean he isn't wrong. Arsenal took a dump on 2nd place Napoli. Utd humiliated PSG, champions of France. 6 of the best 12 teams in the world are in England.
If the English depth is so much better than everyone else's depth, then why don't 5th and 6th place English sides regularly win Europa? There's been 3 English Europa League Champions this millennium. 9 from Spain. Porto has more Europa Leagues than any English side during that time.

The EPL is an outstanding league that's had an outstanding year, but it's not straight up better than every other league.

Reactions: DatsyukOwns

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Origi, Lucas Moura LOL mediocre players having the game of their lives at the right freaking time, on back to back nights no less.

Yeah, who would have thought that these two guys would be the heroes at this stage for their clubs.

An all-English final, seems that the reality is finally catching up to what has been the norm in the Football Manager.

Reactions: Evilo

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Pretending except me? I'm not disagreeing with you on the moves. The only windows in the past decade where they haven't spent significantly more than they took in was the past two windows. Every other time, they've been significantly higher in spend than they've returned. Liverpool has certainly spent. But the recent spending had followed multiple years of modest spending, followed by really only large spends without comparative sales this summer. I mean, Liverpool's net is something closer to 140/150 (20 of that can be offset by Ings going this summer on a side note) in the last 4-5 seasons, and Barcelona's spent much more (they spent like 200 in 17-18). Heck, Liverpool have more or less operated with a pretty close to balance transfer budget for a few windows. For a team their size, they've done well (that Coutinho money didn't hurt). As for Barca, the money they spent in replacing Neymar alone was more than most teams can dream of spending. I'm not wrong in saying that. If we're using transfermarkt as gospel (and maybe that's faulty?) have they not spent more than basically everyone but PSG, City and a few other massive clubs? Was that really an issue that was up for debate?

I don't know, I didn't think I was saying anything particularly controversial. I mean, maybe I'm losing the plot, but I don't really see the purpose. I'm sorry if what I said touched a nerve, but I don't really get it.

Arguing or listing on what youth players move on is also silly. It seems like there's a few each season who don't make the grade, and they get publicized and hyped more because their CV says Barcelona. Liverpool and other big clubs have kids wash out as well, and they go onto other sides. If I'm wrong in saying that, fine, you know better, and I am happy to be corrected. It just seems that way.

Are you trying to rewrite the Neymar transfer? Didn't a Barca president basically resign and end up in jail for shady business on that one? Didn't the next president end up paying a lump sum to try and make nice and avoid some fraud? I don't know the entire story, I'm really being honest, but you're arguing that it wasn't more than a little bit shady? Maybe not by the club, but at least by his dad and parties involved? I'm honestly curious, as from what I read it looked more than a bit crooked.

I don't really know how it got here, and I'm sorry if I touched a nerve and caused you to waste your time. I'm happy to not get into it, and you can feel free to ignore my posts if that's where it leads.

Wait, what? You're not disagreeing with me on the moves when you said in the first place that you see "consistently see clubs in China or the EPL overpay for 'Barca' players"? So now you've done a complete 180. Ridiculous.

You don't think you were saying anything particularly controversial when pretty much your entire premise and post were wrong and purposely derogatory and now you come up with that touched a nerve nonsense?

You don't really know how it got here and now you're happy not to get into it? Then you post more nonsense and irrelevance? Yeah, I'd try and walk away too, but next time you might want to just literally walk away instead of sheepishly flip-flopping while trying to get in the last word.

As for what you posted this go round, you're not even getting the figures right.
  • For starters, you're moving the goalposts all over the place. First it's two windows, then it's the past 4-5 seasons and then it's the last decade. Pick a lane. After the person who initially started this mentioned 2010, I've been largely working from there.
  • In the last five seasons Liverpool have spent approximately 210 million net. And LOL, no you don't offset that by Ings when that window isn't over... seriously. They spent another 126 million in the previous four seasons to that period.
  • In comparison, in the last five seasons Barça's net spend has been about 315 million. The spent another 139 million in the previous four seasons to that period, just 13 million more than Liverpool or just over 4 million more per season.
  • Overall net spend over the past nine seasons, again I didn't set the time frame, 454 million for Barça and 336 million for Liverpool. That's about 13 million more a season. And to put that into context that's with more prize money from the CL, a better kit deal, other better sponsorships and at least comparable TV revenue. Still somehow paupers Liverpool as you're trying to make them out to be weren't that far off in their spending.
  • You said that in every other window but that last two that Barça have spent significantly more than they took in from sales. Again, wrong. 2015/16 they only spent 13 million net. 2012/13 only 33 million net. 2011/12 only 13 million net. 2010/11 only 20 million net. And this is just from the time frame that someone else brought up.
  • Then you went on to say that "the Coutinho money didn't hurt" in how well they've spent but in the very next breath basically writing off the Neymar money chastising Barça for how much they spent on "replacing him".
Moving on, "arguing or listing on what youth players move on is also silly"? Then why did you bring it up? You made a point of it but now it's silly? You can say it but you can't provide examples? Then you immediately follow that up by saying it again without providing a single example.

Rewrite the Neymar transfer? I guess I have to say it again, I accounted for it per what Transfermarkt said it was, 88 million. Are you disputing that figure? What is the figure you'd say we spent? What is your source? The rest of it is irrelevant to the discussion. You said "cook the books" and I've only ever been using the 88 million figure that is posted on Transfermarkt.

You can walk away or continue, it's up to you. However I'd suggest the next time you make your remarks like "cook the books", "ridiculous buyouts", "overpay for 'Barça' players", etc, I'd suggest you do some homework before posting. I'd also suggest you stick to your argument or just walk away altogether because the flip-flopping is almost worse than the inaccuracies.

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
My first thought this morning was wondering what thoughts are going on in the head of Coutinho.

He couldn’t leave Liverpool fast enough to experience European glory with Barca (who have crapped the bed in Europe since particularly Xavi and Iniesta left (who would’ve guessed that?) ) while Liverpool has gone on to two consecutive European Cup finals as soon as he left.

I think you're unfair. Coutinho was a good and important part of Liverpool for many years. We finally let him go to his childhood dream team and got huge amount of money for him. I'm genuinely sorry that he hasn't found his place in Barca. Hope it will be better in next season.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Atalanta played Everton a few years ago and absolutely rinsed them.

Yeah, Atalanta was better than the Everton Reserves. I think that's the level of glory continentals can expect, although this year it's an English final in the Europa League as well.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
My first thought this morning was wondering what thoughts are going on in the head of Coutinho.

He couldn’t leave Liverpool fast enough to experience European glory with Barca (who have crapped the bed in Europe since particularly Xavi and Iniesta left (who would’ve guessed that?) ) while Liverpool has gone on to two consecutive European Cup finals as soon as he left.

I am very sure he's been thinking about it. He made his choice though, we bought some great players because he left. I would rather focus on them than him and I don't hold ill will. I think he knows that the boys would not have made these finals if they didn't sign the players his fee allowed them to sign.

spintheblackcircle

Incoming!
Mar 1, 2002
Between the two football games and the Blues game last night, I don't have any sports emotion left in me.

I have game 7 starting in 5 minutes......I hope the Sharks can pull it out. I can get to St Louis I think for a game.

....also..no way I can get to Madrid. I also have a work trip for a week starting 2 days after the game, I would be a mess.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Much like Catalans don't feel Spanish, Scousers don't feel English.

It's not the same really at all. Liverpool is a very left-wing city, and as a result opposed to representations of English patriotism; furthermore it has a strong local identity..but it's no less English than Sheffield, Manchester, Leeds or Huddersfield.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->