Euro: Champions League Semifinals

Discussion in 'Soccer' started by Halladay, May 7, 2019.

1. JaymzB

JaymzB Registered User

I really don't know what to say. Congrats to Spurs and their fans. That was utterly gut wrenching. . I'm sure with the passage of time I'll be able to really appreciate this run, but right now I just want to forget about bothering with sports. It really hurts too much.

robertmac43 likes this.
  2. Vasilevskiy

Vasilevskiy I've many surnames

:popcorn:

Gambar, Peen, Arizonan God and 2 others like this.
  3. Stray Wasp

Stray Wasp Registered User

For me, the big story here is the quality of coaching (when Klopp came to Anfield I posted on this very site that Liverpool had achieved the then rare feat of bringing to the EPL an elite coach who might be good for a decade of his best years at the club). Consider that a few years ago, a Liverpool versus Spurs final would have meant the aging version of Kenny Dalglish versus Harry Redknapp (which is exactly why it never happened). Meanwhile, the English media were trying to tell themselves Mancini was the second coming of Mourinho.

The authentic Mourinho had at that point not yet suffered the indignity of the game passing his tactics by, and he was at the Bernabeu. Barca had Guardiola. Unai Emery and his glass ceiling were at Valencia.

Now we have Real Madrid coached by the same man who didn't want to be their coach last summer, and Barca has Valverde, who I wouldn't even place in the second rank of contemporary coaches.

What English football has now is the priceless combination of money and smart direction (as well as Unai Emery and his glass ceiling). The biggest danger is that the clubs fall for their own hype, and begin to think they can chuck anyone in the dugout without missing a step.

4. robertmac43

robertmac43 Forever 43!

University Student
    What would the face value have been on one of those?

5. Creed Bratton

Creed Bratton Registered User

Biznus
    Reminder that Unai Emery not playing Lucas is why he is at Spurs :naughty:

6. Machinehead

Machinehead Kakko's Modern Life

Professor
    If the English depth is so much better than everyone else's depth, then why don't 5th and 6th place English sides regularly win Europa? There's been 3 English Europa League Champions this millennium. 9 from Spain. Porto has more Europa Leagues than any English side during that time.

The EPL is an outstanding league that's had an outstanding year, but it's not straight up better than every other league.

DatsyukOwns likes this.
  7. gary69

gary69 Registered User

CEO, real estate
    Yeah, who would have thought that these two guys would be the heroes at this stage for their clubs.

An all-English final, seems that the reality is finally catching up to what has been the norm in the Football Manager.

Evilo likes this.
  8. les Habs

les Habs Registered User

Wait, what? You're not disagreeing with me on the moves when you said in the first place that you see "consistently see clubs in China or the EPL overpay for 'Barca' players"? So now you've done a complete 180. Ridiculous.

You don't think you were saying anything particularly controversial when pretty much your entire premise and post were wrong and purposely derogatory and now you come up with that touched a nerve nonsense?

You don't really know how it got here and now you're happy not to get into it? Then you post more nonsense and irrelevance? Yeah, I'd try and walk away too, but next time you might want to just literally walk away instead of sheepishly flip-flopping while trying to get in the last word.

As for what you posted this go round, you're not even getting the figures right.
    • For starters, you're moving the goalposts all over the place. First it's two windows, then it's the past 4-5 seasons and then it's the last decade. Pick a lane. After the person who initially started this mentioned 2010, I've been largely working from there.
    • In the last five seasons Liverpool have spent approximately 210 million net. And LOL, no you don't offset that by Ings when that window isn't over... seriously. They spent another 126 million in the previous four seasons to that period.
    • In comparison, in the last five seasons Barça's net spend has been about 315 million. The spent another 139 million in the previous four seasons to that period, just 13 million more than Liverpool or just over 4 million more per season.
    • Overall net spend over the past nine seasons, again I didn't set the time frame, 454 million for Barça and 336 million for Liverpool. That's about 13 million more a season. And to put that into context that's with more prize money from the CL, a better kit deal, other better sponsorships and at least comparable TV revenue. Still somehow paupers Liverpool as you're trying to make them out to be weren't that far off in their spending.
    • You said that in every other window but that last two that Barça have spent significantly more than they took in from sales. Again, wrong. 2015/16 they only spent 13 million net. 2012/13 only 33 million net. 2011/12 only 13 million net. 2010/11 only 20 million net. And this is just from the time frame that someone else brought up.
    • Then you went on to say that "the Coutinho money didn't hurt" in how well they've spent but in the very next breath basically writing off the Neymar money chastising Barça for how much they spent on "replacing him".
    Moving on, "arguing or listing on what youth players move on is also silly"? Then why did you bring it up? You made a point of it but now it's silly? You can say it but you can't provide examples? Then you immediately follow that up by saying it again without providing a single example.

Rewrite the Neymar transfer? I guess I have to say it again, I accounted for it per what Transfermarkt said it was, 88 million. Are you disputing that figure? What is the figure you'd say we spent? What is your source? The rest of it is irrelevant to the discussion. You said "cook the books" and I've only ever been using the 88 million figure that is posted on Transfermarkt.

You can walk away or continue, it's up to you. However I'd suggest the next time you make your remarks like "cook the books", "ridiculous buyouts", "overpay for 'Barça' players", etc, I'd suggest you do some homework before posting. I'd also suggest you stick to your argument or just walk away altogether because the flip-flopping is almost worse than the inaccuracies.

9. New Jersey

New Jersey yung saint of newark

databases
    Home Page:
    lol

See you in Madrid.

10. kyle evs48

kyle evs48 Devilish Boy Grin

We were doing so well as a community until like two days ago

Stray Wasp, maclean and koyvoo like this.
  11. ZDH

ZDH Registered User

Wouldve been sweet to see on TV.

**** you UEFA.

12. Merya

Merya Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist

Psychosocialstudies
    I think you're unfair. Coutinho was a good and important part of Liverpool for many years. We finally let him go to his childhood dream team and got huge amount of money for him. I'm genuinely sorry that he hasn't found his place in Barca. Hope it will be better in next season.

13. Albatros

Albatros Registered User

Yeah, Atalanta was better than the Everton Reserves. I think that's the level of glory continentals can expect, although this year it's an English final in the Europa League as well.

14. JeffreyLFC

JeffreyLFC Registered User

it was $500 CAD per ticket... not cheap.. but it was the best available seats.

15. bluesfan94

bluesfan94 #PetroforNorris

Don’t you ****ing jinx us now

maclean likes this.
  16. Live in the Now

Live in the Now Registered User

Awards:
    I am very sure he's been thinking about it. He made his choice though, we bought some great players because he left. I would rather focus on them than him and I don't hold ill will. I think he knows that the boys would not have made these finals if they didn't sign the players his fee allowed them to sign.

17. spintheblackcircle

spintheblackcircle ...so that happened.

Home Page:
    I have game 7 starting in 5 minutes......I hope the Sharks can pull it out. I can get to St Louis I think for a game.

....also..no way I can get to Madrid. I also have a work trip for a week starting 2 days after the game, I would be a mess.

18. Live in the Now

Awards:
    This is now very literally the funniest thing I have ever read on this forum.

19. kyle evs48

kyle evs48 Devilish Boy Grin

20. Vamos Rafa

Vamos Rafa Registered User

Owning Federer & Djokovic
    Much like Catalans don't feel Spanish, Scousers don't feel English.

21. Duchene2MacKinnon

Duchene2MacKinnon Dybalascibar

Should be a fun final. Like both coaches and fond of many players on both sides.

22. robertmac43

robertmac43 Forever 43!

University Student
    Not as outrageous as I thought they would be. I'm sure the after market will be even crazier

23. Live in the Now

Awards:
    Despite the allocation, there will be 5,000-10,000 neutrals there. At most. Locals always sell those tickets with how high the price is going to be. Thousands I bet.

robertmac43 likes this.
  24. bluesfan94

bluesfan94 #PetroforNorris

If you do come to St. Louis, let me know and we can grab a beer or something

spintheblackcircle likes this.
  25. TheMoreYouKnow

TheMoreYouKnow Registered User

It's not the same really at all. Liverpool is a very left-wing city, and as a result opposed to representations of English patriotism; furthermore it has a strong local identity..but it's no less English than Sheffield, Manchester, Leeds or Huddersfield.