Euro: Champions League Semifinals

Status
Not open for further replies.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I understand Kane and Son are out, but Poch needs to do something about the CF position.

Llorente ain't it.

Breh, I had a player on FIFA who played a spell with Tottenham and they had for some reason acquired De Gea (while keeping Lloris) and yet they were still regularly playing Llorente (Kane had been sold). It was brutal

Reactions: Il Mediano

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Can’t fault Spurs for their second half, but if it isn’t Sanchez it is Alderweireld.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Eriksen held onto Maz for like like 10 yards there leading to that post.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Symptoms sometimes do take time to appear, but in this case he clearly to a heavy blow to the head and was visibly dazed on the field.

There's a reason the NHL has the quiet room and the NFL has the concussion tent, it's to give those symptoms time to appear.

I'm not really sure what the solution is since you can't just change the player out for a couple minutes/plays to do a longer review, but something does need to be done because there's currently too much pressure for players to hide small symptoms and stay on the pitch.
I think there needs to be a concussion sub that does not count towards the three allowed. Basically, if play is halted because of a head injury, both the team physio and an independent doctor should go out to examine. If either doctor or the referee believes there to be a concussion or concussion symptoms, that player can be taken off and substituted. This substitution can be rescinded (within a reasonable period of time) if the player is found to not be concussed, but if it isn't, then it does not count toward the overall 3.

Maybe just the independent doctor to keep the physio from gaming the system.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
It's most likely people don't even realize they have a concussion. When I had my first one I didn't realize I had one until someone pointed it out the next day telling me to go to the hospital. I had a headache immediately but didn't think much of it, took an advil and tried to sleep it off. All 3 concussions had massive headaches.

No matter what, a professional team should never take chances with their players. I know all too well the problems concussions can cause. This third one I am recovering from is taking forever to heal. It'.s horrible and my memory is ****ed.

When I had mine, I thought I was fine until I couldn't tie my shoes because my fingers kept fumbling after the game. Since it was just beer league floor hockey, the level of play wasn't exactly high enough for me to notice the small differences until it got back to doing something I should have been able to easily do.

I think there needs to be a concussion sub that does not count towards the three allowed. Basically, if play is halted because of a head injury, both the team physio and an independent doctor should go out to examine. If either doctor or the referee believes there to be a concussion or concussion symptoms, that player can be taken off and substituted. This substitution can be rescinded (within a reasonable period of time) if the player is found to not be concussed, but if it isn't, then it does not count toward the overall 3

Yea I think that's a fair option. A 5 minute review in a quiet room during which you can temporarily replace the player. Once the review is complete you can either make a full sub (maybe the same you just did) or swap back. Not sure what to do if you're out of subs entirely, maybe you just have to go down a man like you would any other injury.

Sure there's the potential for abuse, but having an independent doc involved would limit that.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Aside from the first 20 minutes, this was not the way Ajax usually wins. Glad to see they can win these ugly battles as well. Blind, de Ligt and van de Beek were pretty much the only ones who reached their usual level of play. I thought Veltman and Schöne were weak links and I think Ten Hag will act on that in the return leg.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Aside from the first 20 minutes, this was not the way Ajax usually wins. Glad to see they can win these ugly battles as well. Blind, de Ligt and van de Beek were pretty much the only ones who reached their usual level of play. I thought Veltman and Schöne were weak links and I think Ten Hag will act on that in the return leg.
I agree, though I thought Donny had some poor touches at times when they really could have turned into dangerous chances. Otherwise Schone can't keep up with this level, IMO. Bring in Sinkgraven!

Still a huge win for Ajax. :)

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
I agree, though I thought Donny had some poor touches at times when they really could have turned into dangerous chances. Otherwise Schone can't keep up with this level, IMO. Bring in Sinkgraven!

Still a huge win for Ajax. :)

Yeah Schöne wasn't particularly good. Ziyech, de Jong, Tadic weren't either. Especially the second half. Probably the worst half I've seen them play this season. I think it's all connected. Schöne will remain in the starting 11, though. He's a valuable member when Ajax is in possession.

Ajax should've taken much more advantage today considering the fact the Spurs will field a better roster in Amsterdam. It's still entirely open who goes through.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Poch adjusted and made it ugly. They simply just don't have the quality to take advantage of their opportunities.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
They are a big club. It's the people who rigged football to leave clubs like Ajax at a huge financial disadvantage who are small.

Without the big spending billionaires of modern football, it's Ajax who would be in these semi's on a consistent base. I think only Barca rivals their academy and scouting, you know.. the proper way of trying to reach success.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Without the big spending billionaires of modern football, it's Ajax who would be in these semi's on a consistent base. I think only Barca rivals their academy and scouting, you know.. the proper way of trying to reach success.
Southampton lol

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean, they do develop and scout, but it’s not like they don’t spend. They don’t have the outlay that City or PSG or even Spurs (though Spurs have spent nothing this year basically), but to act like they don’t leverage being a big club over other smaller clubs to attract and get players is selling it a touch short.

There are a number of players they scoop up from smaller clubs or attract to their youth setup, partially because of track record, but also because they can afford to pay more for them or potentially pay them more.

They operate within their means, and they cycle much of what they’re going to get selling their young talents, but they’re not a complete minnow. It’s all relative and the gap between Ajax and their closest rival is surely closer than Ajax to City, but they’re certainly out performing their expectation. I think more of the surprise is based on how young some of their better players are and how many of them maybe had the potential to be great players, but probably in a bit. It seems they’re playing as a pretty good team right now.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Yea I think that's a fair option. A 5 minute review in a quiet room during which you can temporarily replace the player. Once the review is complete you can either make a full sub (maybe the same you just did) or swap back. Not sure what to do if you're out of subs entirely, maybe you just have to go down a man like you would any other injury.
I think concussions are an important enough issue to make it acceptable for an additional sub for that purpose only

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
That part that's the most shit about that was that when the club was less successful in Europe, none of these whoppers were coming to the game. Now that they're successful again you have pieces of f***ing garbage who latched back on.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
The guy was selling beer in the fountain, which is banned to start with, not that I think what the idiot did is fine but at least it was not some random person walking by

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
They operate within their means, and they cycle much of what they’re going to get selling their young talents, but they’re not a complete minnow. It’s all relative and the gap between Ajax and their closest rival is surely closer than Ajax to City, but they’re certainly out performing their expectation. I think more of the surprise is based on how young some of their better players are and how many of them maybe had the potential to be great players, but probably in a bit. It seems they’re playing as a pretty good team right now.

Regarding the difference between Ajax and City, this season alone Ajax has already won three away games in the knockout phase of the Champions League. City has won three in their entire history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->