Euro: Champions League Semifinals

Status
Not open for further replies.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I love how you tell me what Pochettino said without having seen the press conference. That is flat out lovely.

Anyway. Not important. It is a non story.
I actually quoted it above (what I assume ten Hag was responding to):
"The reality is they are going to have more time to prepare and avoid risk. When you play Saturday and Tuesday, and the game on Saturday is a derby, playing for big things, the concentration and effort is massive. You can have some problems.
"The fact is I think it's not fair.
If this isn't what was said and the sky article is wrong then I take it back.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I actually quoted it above (what I assume ten Hag was responding to):

If this isn't what was said and the sky article is wrong then I take it back.

There is a context and for some reason, even after I have told you what he said, you choose to go with half of the reflection.

Yes. He said it was "unfair" (which I also think is partly down to his average English) that Ajax got more rest, but he also said, it would have been equally unfair if Spurs had gotten more rest. It really is a non statement. To take that as it is unfair towards Spurs is either stupid or dishonest (from the journalist) - might be a combination. It means nothing as even Ajax wouldn´t disagree with that. For all I know Pochettino would agree that Spurs and Ajax should have access to the same resources. I have watched enough of these press conferences (and I did watch this one also) to know Pochettino likes these kind of digressions of often fairly meaningless ramble.

I am not blaming ten Hag for his reply. And the journalist(s) got the headlines the wanted. Not that it matters, but fake news at its best (thankfully fairly harmless in this case).

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
There is a context and for some reason, even after I have told you what he said, you choose to go with half of the reflection.
Look, I'm not looking to argue. You keep saying it's a non-story and so on but you're hellbent on trying to say he doesn't think it's unfair, or that's not really what he said. I thought ten Hag had a good response, and so did a lot of people. At the end of the day saying that he would believe it's unfair if it was the reverse doesn't mean that he doesn't think it's unfair (oh the negatives) because Spurs are in that position, not Ajax. So yes he thinks it's unfair for his team; saying he would think it would be unfair to Ajax if it were reversed doesn't change that.

Though I agree about it not really being a story, which is why I only posted ten Hag's quote and thought it was fun. I didn't expect it to become a full page of back and forth defending what Poch said. So I'll bow out.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Spurs playing with 3 CB's and 5 defenders in total. I know Son and Kane are not available, but this is a rather cautious approach for a team playing in front of their home crowd.

Fun to see the 4 former Ajacieden again, though. All were very well liked in Amsterdam.

Also, Veltman will play in favor of Mazraoui, which I like. Veltman is better defensively.

Reactions: YNWA14

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
It is not cautious. Spurs often play their most attacking football with a back three. This time there were no alternatives though due to injuries.

If Sissoko or Winks have been fit then Alli or Eriksen would have played in a more advanced role. If Son, Lamela or Kane had been fit it also could have looked differently (Kane would just have replaced Llorente like for like though). Different. Not necessarily any more “attacking” on paper.

And playing Trippier and Sanchez is anything but cautious. That is 0.5 goal given away already.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Sanchez hasn't been good in London? I rarely see him play these days, but he was a beast with Ajax during their domestic seasonand UEFA Cup final run.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Sanchez hasn't been good in London? I rarely see him play these days, but he was a beast with Ajax during their domestic seasonand UEFA Cup final run.
Sanchez having a bit of a sophomore slump, but I would not throw him in the bin yet

Reactions: Ajacied

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Sanchez having a bit of a sophomore slump, but I would not throw him in the bin yet

Fun to look back. Here was my scouting report when he left Ajax.

Davinson Sanchez scouting report

Strenghts
- Strong in aerial battle's.
- Determined. Comes up as winner in most physical battle's.
- Pretty fast once he gets going.
- Not as big as he looks (1.87) but uses it extremely well.
- A spirited and vocal leader. Captain potential.
- His long ball is underrated, but was rarely on display in the Ajax system.
- Hard nosed, but on the edge. Was a loose cannon at first. Like an over enthusiastic Materazzi.
- Lots of power in his right foot.
- Sound positionally. Actually, he is always in the right position.

Weaknesses
- Can't do much with his left foot.
- Looks very nervous and uncomfortable once he has the ball.
- No offensive game whatsoever. Can't build up.
- While strong in the air, he isn't much of a set piece threat.
- Acceleration and mobility is poor. Though I think the latter is improving.
- Not very versatile. He's a man to man CB and shouldn't play anywhere else.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I believe Sanchez had more minutes/game time last season, but I would defer to Spurs fan to back that up

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Sanchez has two issues. His marking (or in some cases more defensive awareness - good example the goal conceded against West Ham) and brain farts.

Those two things aside he is sensational. But quite important for a CD to mark and avoid brain farts (ask Titus Bramble).

I haven’t given up on him, but he has a long way to go before he is good enough to play more for Spurs. Foyth is in my opinion already better. Not that one excludes the other. If Sanchez goes Rio Ferdinand and cleans up his game with age Spurs got to excellent young defenders on their hands.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Last year Alderweireld was injured. Not sure if Sanchez is worse this year. On the ball he is definitely better this year.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
First mistake from Sanchez. Not a big one, but the kind of mistakes he tends to make just too often.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I'd be interested to see if there's some kind of scientific data on the effects of having say a couple weeks break between intense training/games and continuous play. As much as the gametime ends up being about the same I'm inclined to believe giving your body that rest period is better for the player to reset and recharge.

Just for sake of clarity, I think it's important to point out that players don't get those two weeks off. At least not in the Czech Republic, they go somewhere a bit warmer to train and play a slate of friendlies against other teams training there. Of course it's not necessarily the same intensity, but in terms of actual time off they get at most a few days.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I just don't think that Sanchez has the tactical intelligence or composure to be a top CB. I've said this since he was signed by Spurs when comparing him to Gomez. His aggressiveness and athleticism made up for a lot in the Eredivisie, IMO, and his lack of ability on the ball only makes it worse. He's not a terrible player, but I never saw the upside of an elite defender there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->