Euro: Champions League Semifinals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
I just really don't want to see Sturridge up front again. I know it's an off the wall idea, and it won't happen, but I wouldn't mind seeing Klopp try Wijnaldum in the Firmino role. He can play there, and would be a better fit between Mane/Salah than any of our other strikers, or playing one of those two up front.

Mane - Gini - Salah
Keita - Henderson
Fabinho
Robertson - van Dijk - Gomez* - TAA
Alisson

*obviously more liked Matip/Lovren​

Gini was a very talented AM during his youth days, but I like him much better in the neutral role at midfield. He doesn't have the pace or quick thinking to disturb Barca's experienced backline.

Reactions: YNWA14

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Gini was a very talented AM during his youth days, but I like him much better in the neutral role at midfield. He doesn't have the pace or quick thinking to disturb Barca's experienced backline.
It is very likely we are getting Wijnaldum at the 6

Reactions: Ajacied

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Gini is faster than Firmino, and he makes some very quick decisions at times in transition; I think he's one of the best midfielders at facilitating counter-attacks once the space opens up. I was just thinking more to his engine, intelligence and strength on the ball as well as unselfishness would be a better fit for that role if Firmino is indeed out, since Keita does a good job moving the ball forward from the midfield and I think is better in the middle than on the wing by a lot. Origi and Sturridge are just not smart players, and Sturridge especially seems to get in the way of the wide forwards too much.

Though I agree that Wijnaldum at the 6 is his best position, and it shows. Liverpool's record with him there, and their defensive stats are pretty awesome.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I'm saying if I was Valverde, tactically I would want to blow them out in Leg 1, but also Liverpool have only lost one game by more goal this season. Barca's best route to advance is to win by two or more goals at Camp Nou, but that may be easier said than done based on the evidence.
Nah Barca's best route is winning both games. Or at least drawing at Anfield, which isn't a miracle of any sort.
And even if they lose by 1, they can still win (see PSG).
Based on the evidence, is Barca weaker than that PSG that was not even prepared in the first game?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Nah Barca's best route is winning both games. Or at least drawing at Anfield, which isn't a miracle of any sort.
Based on the evidence, is Barca weaker than that PSG that was not even prepared in the first game?
They're definitely not weaker than the PSG that went out to United, based on the evidence. So they'll probably roll Liverpool.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Besides, don't forget they'll get the reffing United got, Liverpool being the weaker team name wise.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Obviously winning both games would be ideal, but for Leg 1 if I am Barca, I am going for the kill.

Of course they can lose by one and go out, but what I mean to say is Liverpool have only lost by 2 or more goals once this season. They are a very good defensive side. This is going to be tight. I don't think Barca rolls them, and I think a closer tie benefits the team with leg 2 at home

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
They're definitely not weaker than the PSG that went out to United, based on the evidence. So they'll probably roll Liverpool.
And since Pool couldn't beat an injured United because of injuries (or was it wind?), I hope they don't suffer too much from tons of Barca injuries or that wicked wind in Barcelona.
That'd be unfair.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
I haven't watched enough Barca this season to really get a good feel on how this one will play out.

Messi's obviously still playing at Goat level, but I'll need to see some of the 1st leg first.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
And since Pool couldn't beat an injured United because of injuries (or was it wind?), I hope they don't suffer too much from tons of Barca injuries or that wicked wind in Barcelona.
That'd be unfair.
Liverpool beat Tottenham twice this season, and Barcelona only beat Tottenham once we should be in the clear....come on man

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Anyone want to jump on the bandwagon?

Stoked, though somehow not all that optimistic. I feel the underdog roll and underestimating is done with.

Ajax will likely play with Mazraoui and are pretty healthy aside from two long term injuries in Eiting and Bandé.

----------------- Tadic -----------------
- Neres ------------------ Ziyech -----
--------------- vd Beek ----------------
--------- De Jong - Schöne -----------
Tagliafico ------------------ Mazraoui
------------ Blind - De Ligt -----------
--------------- Onana -----------------

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Get 'em Erik.

When did Pochettino say this?

If it is taken from the press conference only a journalist can interpret Pochettino's answer in that way. He said he wanted teams to have the same amount of days since the last game, but he emphasized that was a general point and would be equally true if Spurs had more days of rest. He never complained.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Firmino is in the squad for Leg 1. Probably healthy enough to start.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
When did Pochettino say this?

If it is taken from the press conference only a journalist can interpret Pochettino's answer in that way. He said he wanted teams to have the same amount of days since the last game, but he emphasized that was a general point and would be equally true if Spurs had more days of rest. He never complained.
I don't know; I was quoting ten Hag. I didn't see what Poch said.

A little digging brings up this:

"I know the Premier League and FA have tried to help," said Pochettino. "But it's true, the Premier League is completely different to the Dutch league. Football in Europe is completely different to England.
"The reality is they are going to have more time to prepare and avoid risk. When you play Saturday and Tuesday, and the game on Saturday is a derby, playing for big things, the concentration and effort is massive. You can have some problems.
"The fact is I think it's not fair. If it was the opposite where we had one week to prepare for the semi-final and Ajax play Saturday, I would think the same, that it's not fair for them.

"I don't want to create a debate. The fact is, playing a Champions League semi-final, both teams must have the same time to prepare."

I think Erik ten Hag's response about the financial gap is perfectly fine.

Last edited:

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Champions League semis
Blue Jackets game live
Sharks game

....this may be the highest stakes day in my 50 years of fandom given that multiple teams are involved.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
So he says he wants, ideally, both teams to have the same amount of days of rest before the game. How could anyone disagree with that? It was a typical Pochettino sequence where he rambled along a bit in his quasi philosophical way. He wasn’t complaining. Which I guess ten Hag is assuming he did the way he responded (which also might not be as “harsh” as it seems reading the quotes).

I’m 99% certain if ten Hag had seen how Pochettino said it he wouldn’t have responded that way.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
So he says he wants, ideally, both teams to have the same amount of days of rest before the game. How could anyone disagree with that?.
I mean, ten Hag's response is basically saying ideally they'd have the same amount of money to spend also. I see where Erik is coming from, because Poch did flat out say that he thinks it's unfair that his team is in the situation where they have less rest. I don't think there was much malice or whining on either side.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I mean, ten Hag's response is basically saying ideally they'd have the same amount of money to spend also. I see where Erik is coming from, because Poch did flat out say that he thinks it's unfair that his team is in the situation where they have less rest. I don't think there was much malice or whining on either side.

I love how you tell me what Pochettino said without having seen the press conference. That is flat out lovely.

Anyway. Not important. It is a non story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad