GWT: Champions League Semifinals.

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
With Madrid that doesn't really matter though. They won so many games this season that they didn't deserve to

Both sides deserve to win it IMO. I like both sides. I just feel Juventus will lock it down and pull out a 1-0 or 2-0/2-1 victory. Only way I see Real Madrid winning is if Ronaldo is plays at his absolute best which is ALWAYS possible.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
This is one of the "elbows", I'm guessing?

https://www.clippituser.tv/c/wgbnz
Here's also a reddit thread on it with comments on it from fans from 30 different teams, most of them being confused why Mandzukic got a yellow there and not Roberto.
Some comments are from Barca and Juve fans (and Real, who obviously are baised), but most are from neutrals.
https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/64tcys/mandžukić_yellow_card_vs_barcelona/
(no yellow for anyone would've been the right decision... it was a simple "guarding" arm, with no extension to Roberto, after which Roberto lost his footing and made the scissor tackle)

But please, link the elbow plays.

I'm always trying to link videos in these sort of posts, but people tend to just ignore it if it doesn't suit their original viewpoint.
I mean, whatareyougonnado eh...

:facepalm:

Seriously? For starters, such a hypocritical post coming from you. You refuse to cite sources for stats, which is something entirely different and easier, and then tell me to provide video from a specific moment in a match? Don't get me wrong, I'm not surprised, but that doesn't make it any less ridiculous. I mean, whatareyougonnado eh?

:laugh: Reddit? Seriously? As much as you try to clean up the comments with the "neutral" and number of club supporters commentary, try actually reading the comments. The only sensible one, at least as far as I was bothered to read which most definitely was a big waste of my time as replying to you is, was from a Juventus supporter.

As for the "guarding arm", he clearly extends it.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
:facepalm:

Seriously? For starters, such a hypocritical post coming from you. You refuse to cite sources for stats, which is something entirely different and easier, and then tell me to provide video from a specific moment in a match? Don't get me wrong, I'm not surprised, but that doesn't make it any less ridiculous. I mean, whatareyougonnado eh?

As for the "guarding arm", he clearly extends it.

What on earth are you talking about?
I use whoscored and sofascore, as I said. But there's tons of sites you can pull stats from at this point.

I'll leave the video link for the "Mandukic elbow to Roberto's face" one more time if anyone wants to comment.
https://www.clippituser.tv/c/wgbnz

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I hate Real as much as the next guy (maybe not les habs level, but close), but why couldn't the refs help them win a UCL during that 12 year drought?

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
What on earth are you talking about?
I use whoscored and sofascore, as I said. But there's tons of sites you can pull stats from at this point.

Well no, you didn't say that as you didn't specify.

I hate Real as much as the next guy (maybe not les habs level, but close), but why couldn't the refs help them win a UCL during that 12 year drought?

Don't be so sure about that. I would do a table if I could, but it'd look something like this:

delusional: McSorely and Balestalker
l
l
l
big fan: corto
l
l
l
casual fan: Vasilevskiy
l
l
l
neutral
l
l
l
hate
l
-----DrRecchi
l
can't really tell anymore
l
l
l
off the chart
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
-----me

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Heres hoping Buffon wins it, really cheering for him, other than a champions league trophy he's got nothing else to lose.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Felix Brych, a Bundesliga ref, is doing the CL final, for those that were curious.

He officiated an important match between Hoffenheim and Dortmund just a week ago and did his best to make Dortmund win, for those who believe the CL is rigged for the biggest club to win.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
He officiated an important match between Hoffenheim and Dortmund just a week ago and did his best to make Dortmund win, for those who believe the CL is rigged for the biggest club to win.

I generally try to maintain the naive attitude that refs do their best and just have an unenviable job, but it does become hard when not a year goes by that there isn't a match-influencing or other football-related corruption scandal going on somewhere in Europe.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I generally try to maintain the naive attitude that refs do their best and just have an unenviable job, but it does become hard when not a year goes by that there isn't a match-influencing or other football-related corruption scandal going on somewhere in Europe.

My general outlook is that referees favor the bigger clubs subconsciously even if they aren't trying to.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
My general outlook is that referees favor the bigger clubs subconsciously even if they aren't trying to.
Yeah, me too.
Maybe some games are rigged, but at the highest level, that probably happenned 20-30 year ago, as Tapie immediately pointed out after his first CL final.
These days, I think they make mistakes, and tend to favor big teams or home teams, not consciously however.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos

I think the truth is somewhere in between.

PSG getting screwed over vs Barca, Real vs Bayern in Munich, Bayern vs Real in Madrid, Juve vs Bayern last year in Munich, etc.
Those are all big clubs.
In most cases though, the home side somehow gets the most calls.

That said, the general atmosphere in stadiums, fans foaming at the mouth and jeering and booing a call going the other way no matter how obvious - and more importantly, players diving, cheating, whining, faking injuries, crowding the ref, etc.
The football culture is in such a bad place, it's pretty disgusting to watch at times.
Last week Atleti vs Real, every single decision the ref made he had 3-4, or more players in his face, crowding him. No matter how obvious the call was, no matter how benign - both teams did their best to squeeze out any possible advantage they could get with the ref... And basically pressure him into making mistakes for their side.

I said a lot of times, video replays and retroactive bans for diving and faking injuries are a start; but the the whole can only be fully dealt with when crowding a ref, swearing at them, etc... Results in cards and, in case of swearing, etc.... Subsequent bans.

If they want football to return to at least some form of a sport where respect is a thing, something like this has to be done.

I do think first year with video refs will be hilarious at times, as I'm sure you'll have a lot of cases when players will be protesting and crowding the ref even AFTER video replays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->