GWT: Champions League Semifinals.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Only bothering with the first half. Thrilled for Dani. I personally have always loved him and never really understood the dislike for him from a lot of neutrals and even Barça supporters. Again though, very happy for him and his first half performance was pretty incredible.

Monaco's lineup was a bit puzzling. Fabinho not starting was surprising. Lemar as well depending on how you'd line up with Fabinho in there. Anyway, while they had some moments in the first half I felt as though they were really susceptible to the counter and Juve had a ton of space to operate in.

Monaco really had a helluva run and an incredible season. If they can keep this team together I can see them being a threat again next season. They'll have more experience and will likely bolster the squad.

Dani Alves crosses have been ridiculous.

Yet the narrative from so many Barça supporters over the years was that he couldn't cross. I always said it was nonsense and there was even one season where he statistically was if not the best one of the best in La Liga.

So, Alves. He's pretty good.

Maybe, but Lahm is much better.

Dani Alves having a ridiculous game

wow

He's even crossing and defending, something he never did for us. Amazing. :facepalm:

That one's on the goalie. He got punished big time for that poor clearance.

No, it wasn't.

Don't think I've ever seen a right back have a better game than this.

It's funny because that whole discussion about Alves prior to this match had me thinking about the Final against Boro all those years ago. He had an excellent match in that one as well.

Again, too much Real...

:laugh:

But would Lahm have scored that? :sarcasm:

Yeah, but it would have been a bicycle kick.

I have no idea what "too much Real" means.

What in high hell was Barca thinking letting him go on a free...

Obviously.

My guess is "he wants to leave and it's in his contract so there's nothing we can do."

Thank you Barca so much. Dani Alves at 34 is still an elite RB.

No need to thank Barça.

He wanted to go

Exactly.

According to Dani Alves here's the reason he left Barca

So someone at the club would always say that huh? Right. Amazing that people can't figure things out. If you actually followed the saga for as long as it went on you'd know that it was a 50-50 situation. You'd also realize that Dani didn't like what he was reading in the papers and that he had a somewhat volatile relationship with them as his comment suggests. That's between the press and Dani. Hell, go back and look at his return this season and what he said.

And yes Barca constantly treated Alves like **** with numerous transfer rumors stating they wanted to bring in a new Right back. Alves had enough and came to the bianconeri. He's been incredible. And to think he broke his leg in November and came back even better.

So Barça started numerous transfer rumors about Dani? OK. :help:

I hope the refs will help us tbh

:facepalm:

Barca treated him like spare parts. He had enough and left.

For all the Dani nonsense in this thread, at least from this guy it's expected.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Yeah...right.:rolleyes:

According to one Dani Alves, that's what it felt like to him:

Dani Alves said:
"Things changed at a club level, and as time went on, I always seemed to be the one in the firing line. 'Dani’s the one who has to go,' they’d say. I just got tired of it. I decided to head off in a new direction and find happiness somewhere else."

But I'm sure Les Habs will find a way to spin that one.

I mean, I don't blame Barca, to be fair.

He's 34, and it was time for Barca to find a long-term replacement.
I don't think a lot of people thought he had these kinds of dominating performances still in him.
But then again, ageism is strong in football... Once you're past 30, people are already putting players on shelves.

One thing to remember... Alves had an injury in the earlier part of the season, then was a sub most of the time as Lichtsteiner started, and they shared duties there according to whether Allegri wanted a more offensive or defensive approach.
His "big" moment came in the Porto match, and it's like he's been a different player since then.
But at his age, him having played 35 matches as opposed to everyone else on Juve 55+, it can't hurt that he's that little bit fresher at this point.

Either way, for the last 2 months, he has been absolutely fantastic

Last edited:

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
As much as I would've loved to see Monaco go to the Finals, you have to give Juve the better chance against (presumably) Real. Though a Monaco-Atleti final, that would've been a good match!

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Dani Alves said a lot of things:

"They were false and ungrateful. They didn't have respect for me. They only offered to renew my contract when the FIFA ban came into effect. So that's when I decided I would play and I signed a renovation with a free clause."

So the board was false and ungrateful and didn't respect him while only offering to renew his contract when the FIFA ban came into effect yet he signed the deal anyway?

He also said this:

“I think people need to leave their comfort zone,†Alves said after Brazil’s Copa America opener against Ecuador.

“That’s why now I am leaving a comfortable position.

“Barca is an incredible club, but there I was in too comfortable a position.

“I’m a person that when they feel comfortable, it means that something is going wrong.

“What moves me are challenges and the battle to make history somewhere else.

“I hope things can continue in the same way, just in a different place.â€

He also said this regarding the media:

"The press are f----ing rubbish,"

"Imagine what I'd have achieved if I was any good,"

Like I said, I personally love Dani and always have. I think he has horrible taste, but he always struck me as genuine and unique person. However I also think he came off as a bit sensitive. He let the press get to him too much at times even though I'm fine with him standing up for himself. Barça surely could have done better on their end too, but Dani could have as well and at the end of the day he wanted to leave.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Players are incredibly bipolar when it comes to talking to the press. It's hilarious in some ways. Sometimes I think they just go on autopilot and with the good ones, you'll get exactly what they think about something at that moment.

If you put reporters from three different countries in front of a player and ask questions in three languages you will get three contradictory sets of comments.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I think with Dani it was both sets of papers, but he really hated the Madrid press. While I get where he was coming from, I just don't think he should have been as vocal as he was at the time because it only fed them.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
It's going to be amazing final between Real Madrid vs Juventus. Man of the big games aka man of 52 goals in UCL quarter finals aka Cristiano Ronaldo doesn't have issues to score for Buffon like Messi always does.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Real Madrid defend just as well as they do though.

Is that why Real have conceded 15 goals in 11 CL games this season while Juventus have conceded just 3 goals in 12 games? Or why Real have conceded 4 goals in 2 games against Barcelona this season and Juventus have conceded 0 goals in 2 games against the same team?

The way the referees don't give out cards now...

It's infuriating to see so many referees hesitate to do their job.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Wasn't even a legal penalty here tbh. Griezmann touched it twice (not on purpose obviously), so that shouldn't have counted.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Problem is, Real will score at some point. Which would mean 5 goals to score for Atleti. Doubtful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad