GWT: Champions League Semi-Finals

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Real Madrid wouldn't be 'chopped up' in the final under any circumstances and Bayern weren't that impressive in the knockout round themselves. You're being quite delusional.
I think Atletico will crush Madrid as well. I'm not a Bayern fanboy, they weren't too impressive but I can respect and acknowledge when it was their own failures or when it was due to injuries or crocked players, like against Juve.

I don't think Madrid have been too impressive. Do you?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Apparently none of the teams that made it to the knockout stages of the CL were impressive, and somehow we've got a very unimpressive Madrid derby. Two very unimpressive teams somehow made the final and it's all just been in general underwhelming.

Too bad those really impressive teams like Bayern and Barca didn't use their impressiveness and great coaching to make the final (over two legs, no less).

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
I think Atletico will crush Madrid as well. I'm not a Bayern fanboy, they weren't too impressive but I can respect and acknowledge when it was their own failures or when it was due to injuries or crocked players, like against Juve.

I don't think Madrid have been too impressive. Do you?

No, but that's not the point. How often does any team get destroyed in the CL final? Nevermind a team like Real. If Atletico win they certainly won't win emphatically, it will be a close game.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Bayern, Barca, and Juve imo all played better football in the knockout rounds than Real. Just the way the draw works out sometimes.

Apparently none of the teams that made it to the knockout stages of the CL were impressive, and somehow we've got a very unimpressive Madrid derby. Two very unimpressive teams somehow made the final and it's all just been in general underwhelming.

Too bad those really impressive teams like Bayern and Barca didn't use their impressiveness and great coaching to make the final (over two legs, no less).

Who said Atletico isn't impressive? Keep knocking down those straw men tho.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
No, but that's not the point. How often does any team get destroyed in the CL final? Nevermind a team like Real. If Atletico win they certainly won't win emphatically, it will be a close game.
Atletico being a counter-attacking, tightly wound team likely won't score much but that doesn't mean they won't CRUSH and/or DESTROY Madrid's gameplan. That's what I mean by saying destroy, just like Atletico did against Barcelona and Bayern's game plans, Madrid will have a real tough time imposing their game (whatever it is, under Zidane they don't look too tactically sound) while Atletico have LONG surpassed Chelsea and Inter's taught counter-attacking acumen. Every single one of their players, bar maybe an over-the-hill Torres, is perfect for his role - that's a team that cannot be pushed around.

While Zidane's Madrid look disjointed and start games off really timidly.

Who are you shadow-boxing?

I'm a Bayern fan who is often more critical of the team than even most rival fans. And I certainly hate Barcelona and so much about their arrogant style. I thought Atletico pummeled Bayern in the first leg, just an utter domination against Bayern's intended style and approach. I also think they're the most impressive team left overall, followed by Bayern who despite getting crushed in the first leg played an excellent match in the second. Madrid and City were a long 3rd and 4th in my book but might as well have lost to Wolfsburg and PSG because neither looked like worthy semi-finalists.

Atletico were fantastic and I hope to see them raise the trophy. Koke is quickly becoming a favourite of mine.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Atletico being a counter-attacking, tightly wound team likely won't score much but that doesn't mean they won't CRUSH and/or DESTROY Madrid's gameplan. That's what I mean by saying destroy, just like Atletico did against Barcelona and Bayern's game plans, Madrid will have a real tough time imposing their game (whatever it is, under Zidane they don't look too tactically sound) while Atletico have LONG surpassed Chelsea and Inter's taught counter-attacking acumen. Every single one of their players, bar maybe an over-the-hill Torres, is perfect for his role - that's a team that cannot be pushed around.

I agree with all of this. This year's Atletico is the best defensive team in a while as well. They won't run up the score, but I don't think Real is capable of playing as thoroughly or precisely with their possession as Bayern did and as they're going to have to to crack Atletico. They're also far more likely to concede on the counter because unlike Bayern they are really bad at counterpressing.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Bayern, Barca, and Juve imo all played better football in the knockout rounds than Real. Just the way the draw works out sometimes.

They all played different opponents and required different approaches. It's easy to point to a team and say they played better (even though they lost) without any relativity.

Who said Atletico isn't impressive? Keep knocking down those straw men tho.

I don't think you know what a straw man is, and you obviously haven't been paying attention to the narrative of this CL campaign (despite being a party to weaving it). But yes, Bayern, Barca, Juve and co. are all so very impressive...and I'm sure they will continue to be so watching from home. They can join Dortmund and their impressive campaign in that respect.

Bayern were also extremely impressive against an "unimpressive" RM the last time they met.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
They all played different opponents and required different approaches. It's easy to point to a team and say they played better (even though they lost) without any relativity.

I don't think you know what a straw man is, and you obviously haven't been paying attention to the narrative of this CL campaign. But yes, Bayern, Barca, Juve and co. are all so very impressive...and I'm sure they will continue to be so watching from home. They can join Dortmund and their impressive campaign in that respect.

Bayern were also extremely impressive against a "unimpressive" RM the last time they met.

What's the narrative of this CL campaign? Please tell me. Everyone said Atletico was one of the best 5 teams all along. Especially in this thread. Always cute to see you throw in a barb at Dortmund for no reason because you hate me.

The whole other side of the bracket was filled with bad teams. Of course you can't see it.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I agree with all of this. This year's Atletico is the best defensive team in a while as well. They won't run up the score, but I don't think Real is capable of playing as thoroughly or precisely with their possession as Bayern did and as they're going to have to to crack Atletico. They're also far more likely to concede on the counter because unlike Bayern they are really bad at counterpressing.
Real have this weird tendency to hold-and-pass onto a nearby runner but one at a time, it's hard to explain but unmistakeable. It's like they want to attack but have no idea where everybody else is suppose to be so they only look to play one-twos and such until an obvious opening appears.

Against Atletico I doubt there will be such openings. They came out like vicious, hungry lions in the first leg versus Bayern and all the while kept everything taught and controlled. Maybe seeing my arrogant team get rocked so hard has made me overplay my excitement about Atletico's approach but they've taken this kinda football to another level.

Bayern were also extremely impressive against an "unimpressive" RM the last time they met.
No one is saying your favourite club is bad. They aren't in good form. Much like United don't look all that impressive or Chelsea or (last month) Barcelona.

Bayern got throttled by Real a few years back, Madrid were definitely impressive then. Stop playing the victim dude - you support the world's richest team with (arguably) one of the most talented rosters ever yet they couldn't string together 5 meaningful passes. They looked unimpressive.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Real have this weird tendency to hold-and-pass onto a nearby runner but one at a time, it's hard to explain but unmistakeable. It's like they want to attack but have no idea where everybody else is suppose to be so they only look to play one-twos and such until an obvious opening appears.

I thought Real had some good ball circulation at times today, but they also had a lot of space and time due to City's lacking intensity that they absolutely won't get vs Atletico. They often have pretty severe structural problems too.

No one is saying your favourite club is bad. They aren't in good form. Much like United don't look all that impressive or Chelsea or (last month) Barcelona.

Bayern got throttled by Real a few years back, Madrid were definitely impressive then. Stop playing the victim dude - you support the world's richest team with (arguably) one of the most talented rosters ever yet they couldn't string together 5 meaningful passes. They looked unimpressive.

He's not even a Real fan. He just likes all things that are overrated in football and badly underrates the tactical disparity between European teams and coaches and the role tactics plays in this sport. See his comments a couple pages back how "it's kind of pointless to say one coach is the best in the world. They're not comparable like players are."

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Well Real finally face a team that's not in shambles... it just happens to be in the final. I'd be shocked to see them win.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
PSG players watching that semi must be mad again... :laugh:
I still don't know how they could drop the ball like that against City. This Real team was soooo beatable. They would have lost agaisnt Atletico in the final though.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
French media trying to glorify Zidane as a great coach because he reached the CL final :laugh:

Some thing never change... :shakehead

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
It is for sure his biggest challenge yet, he needs to re-vamp that team almost from the ground up.

He has a lot of talent at his disposal there though if he can make them gel better. Plus the chequebook should be his for any spots he wants to shore up.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
You are such a hater :laugh:

Zidane should get little to no credit.

His substitutions have been bad.

Why would you take off Isco for Hamez to defend a lead? Especially in the cold form the latter is in.

Why would you sub on an inexperienced Kovacic period - let alone over Modric who was the engine to their midfield all night.

At that point you should've subbed off Ronaldo who wasn't creating anything all night and a hindrance defensively.

Zidane got very lucky - he IMO is a very flawed tactician and Madrid can do better. Heck, I'd take Rafa over him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad