Champions League: Round of 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
At the end of the day it really doesn't matter if they're branded official champions or not. Their historic season won't disappear, and everyone will recognize that they are the title holders of the PL 'official' or not. That said I highly, highly doubt with the money involved that the season will go unfinished or without closure in some capacity, so yeah I don't know why a lot of fans keep wishing for this as though it would change what's happened this year (hint, it wouldn't).

Actually it does matter. If the season is canceled and no one crowned champion, which is as it should be if the season isn't fully completed, then they won't be recognized as the title holders. And if they are recognized as the title holders by the league in a shortened season many people still won't recognize them. Same for Barça or anyone else leading their league at the moment. Of course there will be the context that Liverpool assuredly would have won the league anyway, but that doesn't mean they'd be recognized.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It doesn’t matter either way, as I said, and I really don’t care if other people try to heckle or talk about it like it weren’t somehow legit. Everyone knows Liverpool have won this title and what their team has done over the last two seasons and should take pride in it (or continue to grasp for ways to try and devalue it if that’s what they want to do, doesn’t bother me).

Though, like I said before, there’s too much money for them not to come to some kind of conclusion. It’ll be settled.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
If it was a 5 point, or even 10 point, lead at the top then you could understand being skeptical of claiming a title in a shortened season, but they're like 5 points of clinching it with 10 games to go.

Not only would it take a historic collapse, it would also require City going near perfect the rest of the year.

In no remotely reasonable scenario is Liverpool not winning the title this year so even if they cut the games out entirely (they won't), it's far more than appropriate to award them the title anyway.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I can see a situation where they say, drop a few matches and try and finish it. But the trouble is the relegation and CL spots. Those could be worth millions of dollars that could dramatically impact a clubs ability to survive.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I'd actually like that

You could do it in a 10-day span as well

That would be a lot of fun. As terrible as all of this has been, I have found interesting reading all of the creative season/playoff/tournament formats that have been put out across all of sports.

gnr25

May 22, 2008
Ottawa
Unless Real Madrid entered the UK last night, they would have to quarantine for 14 days when they enter the UK. Unless they get an exemption.

And if international matches are played in early September, players returning to their UK clubs would have quarantine depending on which country they had been in. They would miss two weeks of matches in September.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
Unless Real Madrid entered the UK last night, they would have to quarantine for 14 days when they enter the UK. Unless they get an exemption.

And if international matches are played in early September, players returning to their UK clubs would have quarantine depending on which country they had been in. They would miss two weeks of matches in September.

I might be out of the loop, but weren't they doing the tournament in Portugal?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
PSG luck strikes again.
MBappe otu 3 weeks after that assasin tackle. He's going to miss Atalanta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad