GWT: Champions League Round of 16

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Sucks to concede a fluky goal in the first half but it was a fair result. With the support at the Parc, Paris was always going to impose themselves and the nerves were apparent from the first minute. Really good reply by Chelsea even after the goal. Pity Trapp decided to actually show up for this one. I'd like to see people criticising Chelsea's tactics and style in this one btw. Stood toe to toe with one of Europe's best while they were sleepwalking their own league.

PSG were the better team in the second half and a defensive/goalkeeping mistake allowed them to come back. But the fact it was 2-1 is quite the achievement.

Courtois was solid except for the goal conceded, which is unfortunate, he'll be judged on that only.

Iva and Cahill were excellent. Cahill especially after being played out by JT and Zouma really showed up. Iva was always best as a CB. Azpi and Baba were good and happy to see Baba confident at this level.

Mikel should've done better in the wall. If he stays square to the ball it probably deflects away to safety. But he scored so I can't complain.

Cesc did well in a deeper role, glad to have him back on form. Willian and Hazard were difference makers. And were are the Pedro haters at?

Diego was good at times but made some silly mistakes with the ball. Should've scored.

All to play for. I was expecting worse after this dumpster fire of a season but they showed they belong.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Were you at the Parc PP?

No, I couldn't get tickets (I was on a business trip when the email went out) :banghead:

But I know what the atmosphere is like on CL night and it's night and day to any regular match. Only Boulogne and Auteuil sing and makes noise during regular matches. And it was quite clear that Parc was going nuts during this one.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
wasn't a fan of hazard after the first half

that was a really well reffed match

2-1 probably most accurate reflection of how the game was played

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
The result makes for a really interesting 2nd leg, that's for sure. Chelsea still have a good enough team to make noise in the CL despite the league being pretty much over for them.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
. I'd like to see people criticising Chelsea's tactics and style in this one btw. Stood toe to toe with one of Europe's best while they were sleepwalking their own league.

I'll indulge you. Chelsea weren't good offensively at all, especially to start the match. Not good on the counter and not good in settled possession. Chelsea's two biggest chances were the Mikel goal off the corner which made its way through three PSG players - and which Marquinhos really could have cleared - and Diego Costa's header off a cross that narrowly sailed over Luiz' head. Neither of those came from systematic (i.e. tactical) advantages.

Chelsea's defensive performance was overrated by some, too. PSG's midfield was walking over them for much of the match (especially the beginning) and was reliably working the ball into positions where their wingers or fullbacks had space right around the box, but the timing of the runs and/or the passes was just slightly off each time. I don't think PSG were great, but you could still see a little of how collectively strong they are offensively in their passing, even if the execution was a little off in the final third. They definitely missed Aurier too. I rate Marquinhos highly, but there were two or three times where he just didn't make the run another player expected of him where Aurier could have easily created a good chance. Their collective defensive work was a bit flawed though, despite the high individual defensive ability of many of their players, especially Thiago Silva.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Worst thing from Mikel on that free kick was the stupid foul to give PSG the free kick.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
They definitely missed Aurier too. I rate Marquinhos highly, but there were two or three times where he just didn't make the run another player expected of him where Aurier could have easily created a good chance.

The crosses... Marquinhos didn't deliver many decent crosses while Aurier might just be the best at it.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
I'll indulge you. Chelsea weren't good offensively at all, especially to start the match. Not good on the counter and not good in settled possession. Chelsea's two biggest chances were the Mikel goal off the corner which made its way through three PSG players - and which Marquinhos really could have cleared - and Diego Costa's header off a cross that narrowly sailed over Luiz' head. Neither of those came from systematic (i.e. tactical) advantages.

Chelsea's defensive performance was overrated by some, too. PSG's midfield was walking over them for much of the match (especially the beginning) and was reliably working the ball into positions where their wingers or fullbacks had space right around the box, but the timing of the runs and/or the passes was just slightly off each time. I don't think PSG were great, but you could still see a little of how collectively strong they are offensively in their passing, even if the execution was a little off in the final third. They definitely missed Aurier too. I rate Marquinhos highly, but there were two or three times where he just didn't make the run another player expected of him where Aurier could have easily created a good chance. Their collective defensive work was a bit flawed though, despite the high individual defensive ability of many of their players, especially Thiago Silva.

I never said they put in a offensive or defensive clinic and yes, they were absolutely out of it for the first 15 minutes. I admitted that. But instead of sitting back and hoping for a lucky goal on the counter they took over the game and by HT they were all over PSG who were relying on counters to create chances.

There weren't a lot of chances for both teams and compared to previous years PSG weren't all over Chelsea for long periods of time. And there were more chances for Chelsea than Mikel's goal and Costa header saved off the bar. Willian was Chelsea's strongest player offensively and the difference between last season and this season showed.

Defensively they weren't flawless, but considering they didn't have their best two CBs and a young LB who hasn't had much playing time, they exceeded expectations. This is probably the strongest lineup PSG could name on top of that.

And it was mentioned before, not a lot of controversy going on in this one. The ref was good for the most part. Btw, Ibra and Pedro's fouls were not the same thing.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
This is probably the strongest lineup PSG could name on top of that.

And it was mentioned before, not a lot of controversy going on in this one. The ref was good for the most part. Btw, Ibra and Pedro's fouls were not the same thing.

Except for Aurier.

No, they weren't the same thing, but Pedro should have been booked.
Not that it changes, as I previously said, that the ref did great in that game.
Didn't fall for many dives and yellows were warranted every time.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
wasn't a fan of hazard after the first half

that was a really well reffed match

2-1 probably most accurate reflection of how the game was played

He played 25 minutes during which PSG were controlling most of the play. Not a lot of offensive players were doing that great during that period of play. He made two good plays to create offensive chances for Costa and Willian. Stats aren't showing it but he is contributing to a more free flowing offense lately. But he'll be judged on direct assists and goals only of course.

Except for Aurier.

No, they weren't the same thing, but Pedro should have been booked.
Not that it changes, as I previously said, that the ref did great in that game.
Didn't fall for many dives and yellows were warranted every time.

Sure Aurier would've maybe contributed more offensively but Marquinhos is stronger defensively. When you're missing two vital players in defense that's a bigger deal.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Sure Aurier would've maybe contributed more offensively but Marquinhos is stronger defensively. When you're missing two vital players in defense that's a bigger deal.

No question Chelsea missed more players.
I was refering to your comment about PSG fielding its best lineup.
Aurier has been dominant both sides of the field this year. He's no doubt a better RB than Marquinhos.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Hazrad was extremely good yesterday.
No idea how anyone could think differently if one saw the game and not just the scoreboard.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Hazrad was extremely good yesterday.
No idea how anyone could think differently if one saw the game and not just the scoreboard.

I didn't see him in the second half. We didn't have the ball, yes, but he's got to be that guy who drops deep and drives forward like he was doing

Both of you insisting that I'm judging him not scoring, I'm not. He just needed to be a presence and draw attention, but he didn't for his time in the second half.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad