GWT: Champions League Round of 16

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Totally disagree, watching Juve slice Bayern in the first half was thrilling.

But aside from those two scenes the first half of this was bad.

Sure. But bigger than embarassing one-footed Coman who assisted the tying goal and scored a beauty of a final goal?

He was trying too hard to get the cross in when Juve were cheating so hard over to that side. You can call him MOTM if you want, I don't care.

Bayern subbing in Coman and Juve subbing out Morata changed the game.

Conversely, subbing OUT Alonso...

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Well Bayern will struggle without healthy central defenders. Bernat has been pretty mediocre this season but he'll have to play since Alaba-Kimmich is by far their best CB pairing. Alonso should be nowhere near the starting lineup in future big matches.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Heartbroken.

I fully expected a loss. Bayern is the best team in the world in my opinion and not having Chiellini, Marchisio, and Dybala is a huge hole in the lineup.... but to have a two goal lead, have several missed chances, and then lose like that is heartbreaking...

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I never give coach Allegri crap... but he really screwed up the substitutions.

Morata was beating the Bayern back line with his speed.... so he subs Morata our for Mandzukic who was playing with an injury and is slow as hell anyway. If Morata had to come out, Zaza should have played to keep up the pace.

Taking Khedira out was a mistake too... he was rock solid in the midfield. Hernanes should have been taken out because he's utterly useless.

Just Win

Nov 3, 2008
Stuttgart
Conversely, subbing OUT Alonso...

One team added quality with one of their subs (and also got a lot faster/dynamic), the other team made the opposite. In fact, Juve lost quality/got worse with every of their 3 subs. Not sure why Allegri didn't bring someone like Rugani instead of Pereyra late in the game. At least Rugani might have been able to win a header.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
One team added quality with on of their subs (and also got a lot faster/dynamic), the other team made the opposite. In fact, Juve lost quality/got worse with every of their 3 subs. Not sure why Allegri didn't bring someone like Rugani instead of Pereyra late in the game. At least Rugani might have been able to win a header.

It's hard to sub a defender. Especially since Barzagli and Bonucci were fine. Rugani is a CB. Rugani can't play wingback.

Zaza > Morata
Sturaro > Hernanes
Pereyra > Sandro

Those would have been my subs.

Just Win

Nov 3, 2008
Stuttgart
It's hard to sub a defender. Especially since Barzagli and Bonucci were fine. Rugani is a CB. Rugani can't play wingback.

I know. But the Cuadrado for Pereyra sub was in the 89th minute and if you sub in a more defensive player at that point, you might as well add another CB.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Gah I hate Bayern

This feels like that Real v Atletico final all over again

The late swing of the match and into extra time was reminiscent of Real vs. Atletico but Pep's subpar planning (susceptibility to counters, too many crosses, switch to 4-2-3-1) was reminiscent more of when Real blew Bayern out at the Allianz.

Fortunately for Bayern they were playing a weaker opponent tonight.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Totally expected, but with 8 clubs still in the running my favourite team remaining in the CL is now Atletico Madrid. :laugh:

That said if push came to shove I don't mind Bayern

I fully expected a loss. Bayern is the best team in the world in my opinion

Since Barca are from another planet I agree. ;)

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think that all of Atletico, PSG, Barcelona and Real Madrid have a good shot at beating Bayern this year if they play anything like they did against Juve.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The things bayern can do with the ball just aren't fair, even at the CL level. Thank god Pep has been so conservative with them in europe (outside of that Barca tie last year when he was outgunned), and so enamored with Xabi Alonso's corpse. Otherwise they'd be right there with Barca, even with a natural 6 (Kimmich) and 8 (Alaba) playing CB for them.

If Pep would just roll into the big matches with Thiago in the middle, Vidal & Alaba pushing past him on each side, Xabi & Benatia stapled to the bench or not even on the team-sheet, and Boateng/Kimmich/Javi sitting behind everything keeping Neuer company; Bayern would be so much harder to press or catch on the counter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad