GWT: Champions League Round of 16 Part III

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
No idea where to put this, so here:

Thought this was pretty neat. Messi is really incredible. Mbappé may overtake him as a goal scorer but definitely doesn't have the same overall impact (playmaking, control).

Higuain certainly enjoyed a mid-late career resurgence to not look embarrassing on that list as well, and Rooney well...haha.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I know you have a very low IQ, but please link me to ANY POST I made about french clubs being targeted. ONE.

Just off the top of my head, you said (multiple times) that Monaco was (somehow) robbed in the CL semis vs Juve.

And why exactly would UEFA be conspiring against PSG and not vs City, for example?

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Thought this was pretty neat. Messi is really incredible. Mbappé may overtake him as a goal scorer but definitely doesn't have the same overall impact (playmaking, control).

I doubt it. He's a superb talent (and already a superb player) but Ronaldo and Messi have been doing something that seemed borderline incredible in football.
60+ goal season are not meant to be a thing. Yet for these two, it happened several times. 50+ goals over and over, for both of them.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You feel good about beating Bayern regardless of the state they're in. They're Bayern.

And worse teams than 2018-19 Bayern have won it all.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
You feel good about beating Bayern regardless of the state they're in. They're Bayern.

And worse teams than 2018-19 Bayern have won it all.

You feel good about advancing no matter who you face. Just don't make it sound like it was some sort of David vs Goliath scenario.

You don't see Ajax fans acting like that and they have more reason to with their victory over Real.

Reactions: Pouchkine

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You feel good about advancing no matter who you face. Just don't make it sound like it was some sort of David vs Goliath scenario.

You don't see Ajax fans acting like that and they have more reason to with their victory over Real.
That's true, I wouldn't care if we beat some college team. A win is a win.

Still, beating Bayern in Bayern has an extra flavor to it, can't deny that.

It's not necessarily about David vs Goliath. Nobody would ever classify Liverpool as a David, they never have been. They're a top 10 club on the planet right now.

And I don't see any Liverpool fans acting like we've won the thing.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

Yes, Liverpool were the better team to that extent. Still nice to wreck them, but I think most thought Liverpool would win. Liverpool is a top team now, the expectations need to be increased.

There’s no worse than a 50-50 of Liverpool advancing from each given tie at this moment. Of course if they lose they lose, but I don’t see much point in blindly hoping for a weaker opponent anymore. The heroic achievements were last season.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Amazing comments about the win against Bayern:

• It's not a big scalp.
  • Bayern are not a "big 4 club" right now in terms of competitive play.
  • Bayern's form since the winter break, in the Bundesliga it should be noted, doesn't say that much.

They're not pushovers and it's not an easy draw, but Liverpool should have won that tie. It wasn't 50-50 and this wasn't an upset.

Only team I wouldn't want to play until the final is City. It's the only team that has an edge (IMO) over us in a 2-leg series

I actually would prefer them now. Same goes for Liverpool. They're both in a title fight and the sooner we get one/both of them the better.

Which was a response to a post. "Context".

Context that is irrelevant considering what you said when you said "even he". It was not a compliment whatsoever. If you intended it as such, and I don't think you did all things considered, it would have been written differently.

Reactions: Gecklund

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Yes, pressure has always existed. I'll remind everyone Tapie's words after his C1 final defeat : "now I know how to win" and it wasn't on the pitch.

Thing is now, refs don't just make mistakes. Their mistakes can be either confirmed by VAR, even if it defies logic or can be induced by VAR officials, who I remind are not good enough to be on the pitch for realy reffing.
I just don’t get how you don’t understand that judgment calls aren’t overturned by VAR.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Hoping Ajax avoids Barca, City, Juventus or Liverpool tomorrow. I think their run will end if they meet any of them. I give them fair chances vs Tottenham(comparable strengths), Porto (I think Ajax has a better roster, but Dutch teams rarely do well vs Portuguese sides, so I am a bit hesitant. They're also seen as an even bigger underdog than Ajax and that Ajax usually plays best when they have nothing to lose) and United (not a believer just yet and I also like Ajax' as a team much better).

Hoping:
Ajax - Manchester United
Juventus - Barcelona
Manchester City - Liverpool
Tottenham - Porto

Will be:
Ajax - Manchester City
Juventus - Liverpool
Manchester United - Barcelona
Porto - Tottenham

Last edited:

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
As far as the draw, I'm a little ambivalent.

I don't think United have what it takes to win, so on one hand I'd love to draw Porto to make it a bit easier to advance but on the other hand I wouldn't mind drawing Barca, City, or Liverpool and just being eliminated now so we can focus on making the top 4.

Reactions: Gecklund

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
One time my hometown team got through to the semifinal (IIRC) because the captain started jumping up and down before the ref could see on which side the coin has landed. That was back when the team going through was decided by a coin toss after a draw. There have been plenty of dubious reffing decisions through the years, they just weren't as visible due to the lack of social media.
I remember Caen being eliminated by Zaragoza in UEFA Cup (I was in the stadium for the home game). The linesman was either completely drunk or a total Zaragoza fan. He even waved offside a Caen player who was in his own camp.

Caen-Saragosse, la belle cicatrice

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Just off the top of my head, you said (multiple times) that Monaco was (somehow) robbed in the CL semis vs Juve.

And why exactly would UEFA be conspiring against PSG and not vs City, for example?
And, yes that one time Monaco was robbed.
Does it somehow in your head equal to hat you wrote? Nah you wrote that for the sake of trolling and lying, as always.

City has UEFA rights. And wasn't eliminated three straight years with hilarious ref decisions.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Context that is irrelevant considering what you said when you said "even he". It was not a compliment whatsoever. If you intended it as such, and I don't think you did all things considered, it would have been written differently.
Even he as in the diehard Barca fan of the board. And I said you wouldn't diss it away.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
So now UEFA denies the "technical incident" that was talked about to explain the Suarez penalty.
They are now saying VAR confirmed the ref decision.

I'm not sure which is worse.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Even he as in the diehard Barca fan of the board. And I said you wouldn't diss it away.

If that's how you meant it, then fair enough. My apologies, but as it's written and all things considered I think it's fair I would interpret it differently.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
As far as the draw, I'm a little ambivalent.

I don't think United have what it takes to win, so on one hand I'd love to draw Porto to make it a bit easier to advance but on the other hand I wouldn't mind drawing Barca, City, or Liverpool and just being eliminated now so we can focus on making the top 4.

This is kind of how i see it.

We're not really a favorite in this. No matter what, in order to win it, we'd have to upset a good team or two. I guess you can root for delaying meeting a favorite, but idk. playing with house money anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad