GWT: Champions League Round of 16 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
People need to stop with the "X deserved to win" nonsense. If a team deserves to win, then they'll do it without the help or hindrance of the ref.
Thank you.
Juve might have scored 2 minutes later on in ET and I'd have no problem with it since they were clearly the better team. But not on such a call.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Enough debating about the Juve pen. Did Atleti deserve one from the Chiellini tackle/dive at the end?

Not a pen IMO but Barca got two weaker pens against PSG two years ago. So why not?

Some of these penalty calls lately are just freaking ridiculous.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos

But only when they're against your teams or teams you're currently cheering for/against?
Perisic handball, for example, that was fine, right? To help decide the WC final?
Because (and I'm quoting you here) the ball was traveling towards the goal - even though 5 billion people watching it saw travel parallel to the goal with 3 Croatian guys behind the ball.

According to you:
Kimpembe handball? No pen, UEFA conspiracy against PSG.
Marcelo handball last year vs Bayern? Penalty, scandalous decision. (if anything, Kimpembe's hands were out more and the hand stopped a shot on goal)
Perisic? Pen. Because, I don't know, let's make stuff up, ball was going on goal and was dangerous, I dunno.

How do you not see the double standards you use when it comes to teams you cheer for and against?

And let's not forget how PSG is repeatedly getting knocked out because of UEFA conspiracy or how Juve won vs Monaco in 16/17 with the help of the refs.

I think you're just salty Cristiano got another CL KO hattrick and you wouldn't blink twice and call that a clear penalty if it was called for a French team.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
It's not a foul anywhere on the pitch, Chiellini just stop and braces for impact.

That said, I agree 100%, he went from a dude playing with blood flowing all over his face when they were behind, to a guy who flopped 3-4 times in ridiculous ways when they were ahead.

Did you watch the second angle? I have no problem with saying it's not a penalty but he clearly moves into Correa's path. In no way does he just stop and brace for impact.

No. Contact is nowhere near the ball, which is nearly in the keeper's hands.

That being said Chiellini should be banned for life.

Contact doesn't need to be near the ball to be a foul. If Correa had a legit chance to get the ball everyone would be screaming for a penalty, but it's just as much of a foul regardless of whether or not he can get there.

Just to be clear I'm not saying it should have been called. It would have felt undeserved and cheap if Juve went out on a play like that. I do think it's a penalty by the letter of the law, however that's why the refs call it by the spirit of the game.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
Not a pen IMO but Barca got two weaker pens against PSG two years ago. So why not?

Not to rehash but they only got one weaker one. The Neymar one was deserved IMO. The Suarez one was laughable.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Nah, dude. You're the champion here. Ask like... Anyone lol.

And yes, the Ajax goal was rightly called back in the first leg, it's not even debatable.
In fact, you're the first person I've seen question the call.

Wut? Everyone questioned the call here and in Spain, even Madrid newspapers.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Nah, dude. You're the champion here. Ask like... Anyone lol.

And yes, the Ajax goal was rightly called back in the first leg, it's not even debatable.
In fact, you're the first person I've seen question the call.
Where have I questionned that call?

Lol you're one champion too.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
But only when they're against your teams or teams you're currently cheering for/against?
Perisic handball, for example, that was fine, right? To help decide the WC final?
Because (and I'm quoting you here) the ball was traveling towards the goal - even though 5 billion people watching it saw travel parallel to the goal with 3 Croatian guys behind the ball.

According to you:
Kimpembe handball? No pen, UEFA conspiracy against PSG.
Marcelo handball last year vs Bayern? Penalty, scandalous decision. (if anything, Kimpembe's hands were out more and the hand stopped a shot on goal)
Perisic? Pen. Because, I don't know, let's make stuff up, ball was going on goal and was dangerous, I dunno.

How do you not see the double standards you use when it comes to teams you cheer for and against?

And let's not forget how PSG is repeatedly getting knocked out because of UEFA conspiracy or how Juve won vs Monaco in 16/17 with the help of the refs.

I think you're just salty Cristiano got another CL KO hattrick and you wouldn't blink twice and call that a clear penalty if it was called for a French team.

Will you stop trolling and throwing nonsense?
Since WHEN am I an Atletico fan?
So stop it. You're AlWAYS trying to diss other people by lying about who they support.
You always do.
I said Perisic was a 50/50 call.
Again you lie.

You lie all the time. It's like you can't help but doing it.
The fact you compare Perisic's hand to Kimpembe EXACTLY shows who's biased. Nonsense really.

Again YES PSG has been knocked out by refs 3 years running. Videos were given. Only you can deny it.
Again YES Juve knocked out Monaco because of putrid reffing. Can you deny it?

And Cristiano? What? Have I made a si gme comment about Ronaldo in this thread? Seriously?

Again lies all around.
Probably an uninformed internet même.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Wut? Everyone questioned the call here and in Spain, even Madrid newspapers.

On the disallowed Ajax goal?
It was a correct call, 100%. Not sure what's supposed to be controversial about it.

As the ball is headed towards the goal, dude is standing there and obviously interfering with play (Curtouis can't come out to meet/punch the ball).

wqr3it.jpg

2ivjx4j.jpg

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
You sound upset, Evilo.

I don't doubt you don't give two s*its about Atletico, but I think a Ronaldo team going through and Ronaldo scoring a hattrick triggers you as a self-confessed Ronaldo hater.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Well you think wrong.
I don't care.
I care about the fairness of the game but of course the Real fan you are doesn't.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
On the disallowed Ajax goal?
It was a correct call, 100%. Not sure what's supposed to be controversial about it.

As the ball is headed towards the goal, dude is standing there and obviously interfering with play (Curtouis can't come out to meet/punch the ball).

wqr3it.jpg

2ivjx4j.jpg

Courtouis had 0 chance of getting to the ball regardless of that Ajax player?
It's as bad as the call on Perisic handball.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Courtouis had 0 chance of getting to the ball regardless of that Ajax player?

Not even getting into that - we don't know. Dude was offside and interfering with the play, directly in front of Curtois and contact was made when Curtois went for the ball.
If you're in the way of the goalkeeper and offside when the ball is played towards you - yes, it's a 100% correct decision.

People are quick to jump all over VAR (sometimes rightly so), but this was the right call.

VAR has some issues - mostly with handballs tbh.
But offsides and stuff like this - right call.

To be clear, I'm not calling the Perisic handball a travesty or conspiracy or the worst call never made.
I don't think it's a pen, loads and loads of experts and pundits don't think it's a pen - but you can see why the ref gave it watching it in slowmotion for 3 mins (this was where the ref messed up).

At the same time, I don't think the Kimpembe handball should be a pen.
I don't think the Marcelo handball last season is a travesty of a call either.

My problem is with people who's jumping on the VAR for one call calling it a conspiracy and whatever, but when the call for a similar situation suits them then they make excuses for it and it's a 50-50 (or a clear call the way they prefered it etc.)

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
How often do shoves in the box from behind not get called? I don't get the uproar here over the call, even the Atletico players didn't really complain.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Huh, surprised at all the debate here over the penalty call. Highlights I saw nobody questioned it for a second. I agree it's a bit weak, but I've seen some of the people saying its BS defending calls in here before just because once the guy puts a hand on the attacker it's free game.

At least it's overshadowed the opinion that Ronaldo was some kind of one-man-show out there. Not to disparage his performance and sure he put them in, but it was the team's work to get him those balls, the hero-worship in this sport makes me ill sometimes

Last edited:
Reactions: YNWA14

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
At least it's overshadowed the opinion that Ronaldo was some kind of one-man-show out there. Not to disparage his performance and sure he put them in, but it was the team's work to get him those balls, the hero-worship in this support makes me ill sometimes

Eh. Yes and no.
Juve played so much better than, well, all season (though Atletico and their tactics were awful) and everyone did their part, Can was great, Matuidi covered miles and miles, Berna was great etc... But in the end, it's not that Ronaldo popped up and decided the game - it's that he's been doing that so often for so long.

I mean, think about it.
Messi, the greatest player of all time, breaker of so many scoring records, playing on high quality Barca teams... has 40 goals in the CL in the knockout stages.
Ronaldo has, I dunno what the number was... 64?

It's absolutely ridiculous.
His numbers, his accomplishments, the number of trophies - individual and team - are only equaled (or surpassed) by Messi.
Noone else come close. Yet he's still hated on by so many people in football (including this board) where people will grudgingly put him even in a top-10 list when talking about best players of all time.

So, while I agree with you it's a Juve win and not a solo performance by Cristiano, Allegri changed the approach, and they played aggressive and looked hungry...
It's logical that the media will feast over Ronaldo's achievements.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Eh. Yes and no.
But in the end, it's not that Ronaldo popped up and decided the game - it's that he's been doing that so often for so long.

I mean, think about it.
Messi, the greatest player of all time, breaker of so many scoring records, playing on high quality Barca teams... has 40 goals in the CL in the knockout stages.
Ronaldo has, I dunno what the number was... 64?

It's absolutely ridiculous.
His numbers, his accomplishments, the number of trophies - individual and team - are only equaled (or surpassed) by Messi.
Noone else come close. Yet he's still hated on by so many people in football (including this board) where people will grudgingly put him even in a top-10 list when talking about best players of all time.

So, while I agree with you it's a Juve win and not a solo performance by Cristiano, Allegri changed the approach, and they played aggressive and looked hungry...
It's logical that the media will feast over Ronaldo's achievements.

It's always hard to compare the two (and I certainly do not want to head down that path) because in many ways their roles are quite different. It is not that often you see CR creating a goal, making an impressive run, etc., but certainly he can be a great finisher. The point is more how much of a glory-hog he is. When there's glory to be had, he claims it all for himself (and the media are more than happy to serve that purpose as well), whereas Messi puts more emphasis on the team. Yes, he works hard and yes his accomplishments are impressive, but strong egos can also colour people's impressions, and I have to admit they have the exact opposite impact on me. If I see someone successful with an overinflated ego, their success ends up striking me as worthless. It's bias and I admit it, but in a way I justify it by the fact that many more people are affected the other way round - a confident ego inflates their opinion of someone. So it's almost impossible to be objective. For me I look at it more as - whatever this person has accomplished, is it someone I think should be a role model for my kids, or really anyone? When I look and see a smarmy rapist he could score a million goals and I would still consider him trash. Then when I see an amazing team effort and headlines saying CR7 does it again... well... it... peeves me.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Oh, I don't disagree at all. Ronaldo loves the spotlight, loves the attention, feeds off of it.
He can be petulant and immature (though less than in the past), and has an ego the size of a truck.

Doesn't make him any less brilliant than he is though.
I loathed the guy for a long while and then I realized if I stopped myself from focusing on hating him, I might enjoy watching him play.
And I do. And he'll be retired in a few years, as will Messi, and I very much doubt we'll get anyone near their level for a long, long time.

(the rapist thing I'm not judging on... maybe he's guilty, maybe not... we don't know atm so I see no reason to label him a "rapist".
The woman who's making the charges shouldn't be taken lightly, but labeling someone a "rapist" without actually waiting for the results of any potential investigation doesn't sit well with me)

Reactions: Troubadour
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad