GWT: Champions League Round of 16 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
Even as a Juve fan I wouldn't have called the penalty. There was a small push on Berna, not enough to make him go down. Smart from Berna.

I really wasn't expecting to win. I am proud of their performance. It was one of the most entertaining games from Juve in a long, long while. I was drinking ahead the game fully expecting a loss.

The most shocking part is Atletico didn't show up to play. You can expect to win when you don't attack and have 0 shots on net. The penalty was harsh but too bad for them for not getting the memo they had a game to play.

Reactions: Pouchkine

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
So I went back and watched it like 50 times.

Correa's left leg clips Bernardeshi's right heel as he's running which pushes it over to his left calf and causes him to fall.

It's a clear pen when you see that contact.

Well, then. Fancy pants with your PVR.

I guess that stops the conspiracy talk for the night , does it?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
The hand was not glued to the body, we can't know if it's intentional or not, so yeah 50/50. Presnel played with fire, why would you take that risk ?
Embarrassing man. I won't get into all of this again, but that's pretty bad.
Then again, if you're a Real fan, you're used to stuff like that. Except for Real it's 100/0 in their favor.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Just watched the reply of the penalty. That was an incredibly stupid play by Correa to push him from behind. Definitely a soft penalty but not as awful as some posters here are making it sound. Correa is a moron.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Kuijpers literally mimicked the push Correa gave Berna there.
We can debate whether it was or wasn't a penalty (for me a softish one, but a "yes" - you're asking for trouble pushing people in the back, and if the attacker makes a meal out of it, you're in trouble), but it was not for a foot clip or whatever - it was for the push.

But do go on, tell us against how Monaco was robbed by the refs against Juve in 16/17.

Atletico showed absolutely nothing, I'm glad they're out. They're quality players, but Simeone's made s*ithouse behaviour his brand.
Almost the entire team is appalling in their behavior and that's only in addition to play the most negative football this side of Pecos.

Juve deserved, they went after it, and I'm glad they're through.

Oh, Dybala was class when he came on. He seemed more mobile than usual, glided past players more than he usually does.
He can mimick all he wants, there was no push.
Sure, I can talk about refs giving Juve a free round against Monaco, but that's not tonight's point.

Mar 1, 2002
It wasn't a penalty, but the goal they took away from Ronaldo in the first half shouldnt been taken away there was no foul there.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Nope. But just like Aletico, they weren't "virtually through" when the mistake happenned. But no, I never defended the handball. France was awful that game (and year).
Lol. I’m just playing. I had to get that one in though :DD

Reactions: Evilo

hellvetet

Oct 2, 2015
The penalty sure does fall into the grey area, but imo it was the right call. When you're cutting inside in the box, a clear push from behind pretty much negates any chance you will be getting a legitimate scoring chance from a straight shot.

If the ref felt that the Juve player was in a prime position to shoot and score, it's a justified call. A pretty similar infraction to a slight upper arm hook to a player in a breakaway in hockey.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
That was such a dumb penalty to give. Just let the player shoot instead of taking chance with Ronaldo pen.
Bernardeschi was covered by two other Atletico defenders as well. 0 reason to take the penalty, much like the one Florenzi conceded against Porto.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Someone needs to find a gif of Chiellini flopping around at the end there.

Damn, what a clown.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I'm just thinking again, I can't believe how poor Atletico were.
Juanfran was constantly in trouble, Lemar was completely invisible, no Costa, no Thomas, no Lucas, no Felipe Luis.
But they just came there to defend for 90 minutes.
Absolutely baffling.

Reactions: Pouchkine

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Yeah Rule 12. Which says it's not a penalty.

Just because you're a complete football noob doesn't mean everyone is.

What ? Are you trolling ? The Kimpembe foul was 50/50, go learn your rules. Otamendi got punished for the almost the same thing against Schalke.

The rule is if the defender is making the body bigger in order to block the ball, you can call it.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
lol , I just checked the score of the other game.

Please give City a challenge in the next round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->