GWT: Champions League R16 Draw and Build-Up

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If/when Dominik Szoboszlai goes to RB Leipzig, would he be cup-tied to Salzburg for UCL ?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think they updated it a couple years back so that cup-ties reset for the knockout stages.

Pretty sure that Leipzig can add him to their CL squad for the knockouts.

Grrrrreeeeaaaaaatttttttttt. While they are making up stuff on the fly, how about they get rid of some other bad rules like dumping away goals.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
And not having away goals produces away team that try for 0-0 draws and gives an unfair advantage to return home teams.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
And not having away goals produces away team that try for 0-0 draws and gives an unfair advantage to return home teams.

On the other side it produces home teams who are much less likely to attack for fear of giving up a significant away goal.

If you go up 1-0 it’s far more advantageous to sit on it versus risking giving up an away goal.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I used to think that was the case, but after some more years of watching I really don’t think that’s the case. You can’t win a game 0-0, and either way the emphasis would be more so to having to attack both legs instead of just one.
On the other side it produces home teams who are much less likely to attack for fear of giving up a significant away goal.

If you go up 1-0 it’s far more advantageous to sit on it versus risking giving up an away goal.
This too. Away goals are too valuable a commodity.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I agree, it can result in great 2nd legs and drama

That Chelsea- PSG 2nd leg a few years ago was amazing lol
But not because of away goals. Because teams had to score. No away goals encourages more scoring. It’s just as likely to set up boring formality 2nd legs as it is to set up “drama”

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Away goals does lead to a lot more situations where a late goal turns a loss into a win as opposed to a loss into extra time or penalties, which can definitely be fun.

Reactions: cgf

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France

Which is still better than away teams bunkering down, italian 90s style.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
But not because of away goals. Because teams had to score. No away goals encourages more scoring. It’s just as likely to set up boring formality 2nd legs as it is to set up “drama”
It was totally because of away goals.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think they updated it a couple years back so that cup-ties reset for the knockout stages.

Yep. Should be really interesting to see how Szoboszlai gets used by Nagelsmann. Feels like he should be a monster driving into the spaces created by Forsberg & Olmo's movements...like Nkunku & Kluivert have been doing to great effect this season...but with his skillset there are so many ways he could slot into that lineup.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->