GWT: Champions League Matchday 6: 12/8-12/9

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I don't buy that, really. When you're down as many points as Arsenal was, you can't afford to not care about any of the remaining points on the line, while giving yourself away even more into others' hands. From what I heard back then, Bellerin/Koscielny just weren't realistically available to play, the mere lack of options just had Koscielny still on the bench.

Exactly, there is no way a manager sits their best defender on the bench if it was a match they took with high regard.

As Edonator wisely point out - there was no way Olympiakos was going to beat Bayern at Allianz. So basically all Arsenal needed to do was beat Zagreb at home and Olympiakos by a scoreline greater 1-0, which they both completed without breaking a sweat.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
How would people rank the 16 teams?

Barcelona, PSG, BM, RM, Atletico, Arsenal, City, Juventus, Roma, Chelsea, Zenit, Wolfsburg, Benfica, PSV, Kiev, Gent.

Barcelona, Bayern, PSG, RM, Juventus, Atletico, City, Zenit, Arsenal, Chelsea, Wolfsburg, Kyiv, Benfica, PSV, Gent, Roma

Lots of good teams left.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Barcelona, Bayern, PSG, RM, Juventus, Atletico, City, Zenit, Arsenal, Chelsea, Wolfsburg, Kyiv, Benfica, PSV, Gent, Roma

Lots of good teams left.

I have the same ranking except I would swap City with Juventus. This is the year they make the semis IMO.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Exactly, there is no way a manager sits their best defender on the bench if it was a match they took with high regard.
I'd see it the other way. He was not realistically fit to play, but as it was a big game, they at least kept him on the bench as a potential option. The way the game was over at half time, it was an option that wasn't needed.

As Edonator wisely point out
I see, you're deliberately kidding. :)

there was no way Olympiakos was going to beat Bayern at Allianz. So basically all Arsenal needed to do was beat Zagreb at home and Olympiakos by a scoreline greater 1-0, which they both completed without breaking a sweat.
Olympiakos only needed a point at Bayern, and with Munich having nothing to play for, it would not have required a miracle for that to happen. If Arsenal really wrote off the game at Munich, they got even more lucky than they already did by Bayern not putting a nail in their coffin in the first leg.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris

Lots of good teams left.

I would swap Juve and Atleti with Zenit right behind Chelsea. They've played well but qualified in a relatively weak group.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Last 16 Draw:

Gent vs. Wolfsburg
Roma vs. Real
PSG vs. Chelsea
Arsenal vs. Barca
Juventus vs. Bayern
PSV vs. Atletico
Benfica vs. Zenit
Kiev vs. Man City

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Arsenal-Barca
Chelsea-PSG
Benfica-Zenit

Seems like these matches are played every season. Great opportunity for one of Gent/Wolfsburg and a match like this should silence people who think UEFA fix their draws :D

Dynamo Kiev a few years ago eliminated Man City in the EL knockout stage, the night when Balotelli had an allergic reaction. However this time Kiev play in empty stadium

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Wow, what a crazy draw. PSG-Chelsea and Arsenal-Barca is pretty insane when you look at Gent-Wolsfburg or Zenit-Benfica. Juve Bayern is straight-up semidinalists from last year. Man City and Real really lucked out, Atletico too.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
At least Arsenal can fully focus on the league now. Might as well start youth team vs. Barca.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Nooooo!!! Wtf Juve! You only need 1pt against Sevilla to top the group and you **** the bed! You deserve to draw Bayern Munich, good luck!!

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
with both CL and EL draws completed, Italy's take to reach England in the coefficients took a massive hit. Firstly both CL clubs are likely out, the good news is probably 2 of 3 English clubs are out. In the EL the English sides got relatively easy draws with Spurs-Fiorentina being the exception, and Fiorentina really have to win that one

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Feel like we all say the Arsenal Barcelona // Chelsea PSG draw coming lol

We are so ****ed. We're only stronger in two positions in form right now - GK and LB.

And Matic is suspended for the first leg in Paris. Guess we play Zouma in midfield?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
So if Citeh pull a Citeh, the EPL will have no teams past the round of 16 this year; and Serie A is likely going out completely before the QFs as well? Nice. Now lets hope FC VW actually takes advantage of this favorable draw.

with both CL and EL draws completed, Italy's take to reach England in the coefficients took a massive hit. Firstly both CL clubs are likely out, the good news is probably 2 of 3 English clubs are out. In the EL the English sides got relatively easy draws with Spurs-Fiorentina being the exception, and Fiorentina really have to win that one

I won't be surprised at all if Liverpool are knocked off by FC Korea despite Augsburg's own issues. Klopp got figured out tactically within the BuLi and augsburg will have a good chance to take advantage of that knowledge like they did against S04 yesterday.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Arsenal-Barca
Chelsea-PSG
Benfica-Zenit

Seems like these matches are played every season. Great opportunity for one of Gent/Wolfsburg and a match like this should silence people who think UEFA fix their draws :D

Dynamo Kiev a few years ago eliminated Man City in the EL knockout stage, the night when Balotelli had an allergic reaction. However this time Kiev play in empty stadium

I'm so sick of PSG-Chelsea. At least we haven't had Arsenal-Barca in a few years.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
troll_football_image_08e04608f9beeaeca979c56f7989a137.jpg

Always a joy posting this. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->