Champions League last 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I would’ve liked to have taken a goal lead going to Munich. Their away record has been pretty poor in Europe, though all things considered with the back line issues, and Firmino sick, I will take it.

I don’t know that the mid season training camps have had the impact they did last year.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Saying Barca is in pole position or that they're the favorites is significantly different than saying they should win easily.

They certain are the favorites, but Lyon is more than capable of an upset.

Reactions: Evilo

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
These games so far have been a bit bland, very cautious and slightly underwhelming.

I realize teams are having injury and suspension issues, but I can't say I didn't expect Lyon-Barca to result in 2-3 goals.

Now watch all of these goalless games and then Atleti-Juve go 3-3.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Yeah Lyon too mind you.
You seem to think Baca played poorly and Lyon played up to their best.
They didn't. Neither team did. Lyon defended well on the whole, they can't do much better. But they produced only 3-4 big chances. With Fekir and a healthy Ndombele, I bet they produce more. Just like against City and PSG.
I don't see Barca as any better than City and PSG. So if those teams not only didn't "win easily" but actually lost, I don't see how barca will have it easily if Lyon plays up to their standards.

Last 11 Barça CL games at home in elimination rounds:
Barcelona 4 - 1 Roma
Barcelona 3 -0 Chelsea
Barcelona 6 - 1 PSG
Barcelona 0 - 0 Juventus
Barcelona 3 - 1 Arsenal
Barcelona 2 - 1 Atletico
Barcelona 1 - 0 City
Barcelona 2 - 0 PSG
Barcelona 3 - 0 Bayern
Barcelona 2 -1 City
Barcelona 1 - 1 Atletico

Lyon played a good defensive game tonight and I agree they have room to improve offensively. Knowing our track record at home in big games and that we can play (much) better than today, well, I think we should win. It's just my opinion and maybe Lyon holds us to a 1-1 draw like Atletico did 5 years ago, or win at Camp Nou.

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
Good result for Bayern after the big question how good is their defense(In Bundesliga sometimes awful). At home is Bayern a beast! I hope that Schalke could reach a miracle tomorow. ;).

Reactions: Lambo

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Last 11 Barça CL games at home in elimination rounds:
Barcelona 4 - 1 Roma
Barcelona 3 -0 Chelsea
Barcelona 6 - 1 PSG
Barcelona 0 - 0 Juventus
Barcelona 3 - 1 Arsenal
Barcelona 2 - 1 Atletico
Barcelona 1 - 0 City
Barcelona 2 - 0 PSG
Barcelona 3 - 0 Bayern
Barcelona 2 -1 City
Barcelona 1 - 1 Atletico

Lyon played a good defensive game tonight and I agree they have room to improve offensively. Knowing our track record at home in big games and that we can play (much) better than today, well, I think we should win. It's just my opinion and maybe Lyon holds us to a 1-1 draw like Atletico did 5 years ago, or win at Camp Nou.
Barca is the favourite but to say it's going to be easy is off base IMO.
Lyon haven't lost an away game in CL this year with three tough games at Hoffenheim (3-3 should have won), Shaktar (1-1 should have won) and City (2-1 win).
In fact you'd have to go back to early CL 2016 to find Lyon losing away, at Sevilla (1-0).
They drew at Juventus 1-1 while easily being the better team.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Did Wijnaldum get MotM? Best player on the pitch today by a decent margin IMO.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
FiveThirtyEight's odds of making the next round for the three beloved teams that took the pitch today (excluded Bayern as no one around these parts seems to be a fan of them):

Barcelona: 77%
Liverpool: 50%
Lyon 23%

Too high? Too low?

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
FiveThirtyEight's odds of making the next round for the three beloved teams that took the pitch today (excluded Bayern as no one around these parts seems to be a fan of them):

Lyon 23%

Too high? Too low?
Hmm I wonder what Bayern would be. I think I'd go 55/45 Bayern/Liverpool split just because it's a home game. Honestly maybe 51/49

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

Lyon 23%

Too high? Too low?

Those seem fairly accurate to me.

Liverpool/Bayern being a tossup seems fair at this point.

Obviously that can all change based on form and injuries closer to the game.

I’d say PSG is probably like 90-95%

Madrid at maybe 85%

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Saw earlier that the last 10 times in the CL a first leg has ended 0-0, the team in Bayern's position (going home for the 2nd leg) won 7 of 10 times. 22 of the last 30 as well.

Interesting. Still think Liverpool wins, but it's one of those scenarios where the advantage appears not to be where people think it is.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

We really should have won. That's pretty close to Bayern getting dominated and Liverpool couldn't put the ball in.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Suarez can't score, but he's very useful.
How many players can get fouls out of being untouched? And cards too?

Here's an example from yesterday :

Yes, he got the call. There was actually a foul called here in favor of Suarez.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Best ref call of the evening though was when on a counter, Depay was hacked and tackled from behind in the center of the pitch while he was protecting a ball. I think it was Lenglet. He never touched the ball, only Depay's feet. Ball came to Dembele who was all alone to go towards the goal (to be fair, he had a while to run, but he's a decent runner, certainly better than Pique). Ref sees the breakaway, and whistles.... against Depay. For what, nobody knows.
I can't find the replay anywhere on Twitter, but boy did it make a lot of people laugh.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
That's pretty close to Bayern getting dominated and Liverpool couldn't put the ball in.
meh, that's why those charts provide a very limited analysis, it was a fairly even game with liverpool getting the better of the limited chances. Should be a gripping second leg.

Reactions: Pouchkine

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

We really should have won. That's pretty close to Bayern getting dominated and Liverpool couldn't put the ball in.

This is kind of how I felt in general about the game. Liverpool looked the much more dangerous team with Bayern putting in a tenacious and gutsy performance with last ditch scrambles (especially in the second half). I don't think the game was domination as Bayern could clearly play, but they didn't register a single shot on target (IIRC, only Matip looked like scoring for them) and despite looking dangerous in a few instances Liverpool's structure and players seemed a lot more comfortable in dealing with Bayern's attacks than the opposite.

The return leg is going to be good. Hopefully everyone stays healthy between now and then.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Refs just impact these European competitions so effin' much. The dive by Suarez was terrible, the call on Depay was terrible, and the red card on Lacazette was terrible.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Memphis Depay is getting WRECKED in the french media after his piss poor showing yesterday. He was likely Lyon's worst player again in a big game, and for someone who's targeting a big club, maybe he should first try to be worthy of Lyon.
When you run your mouth too much, you're going to get flamed if you don't show up. I said before the game it was his game if he wanted to prove anything.
Instead he slowed things down on counters, didn't make a single difference, didn't run once to defend. At least Traore worked defensively.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Lyon isn't a big club? Depay is way overrated. I hate this kind of young players who talk big but can't back it up. Once again the Champions League fails to deliver and referees are once again a disgrace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->