Champions League last 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Not sure if the CL game was "ever" on the table. So that is hardly "new" news. Apparently the police (and maybe also the club) do not like the idea of Arsenal being the first game. My guess would be Brighton or Huddersfield in April. Hardly matters much at this point. The season will be more or less over by the time it happens (if it happens at all this year).

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Not sure if the CL game was "ever" on the table. So that is hardly "new" news. Apparently the police (and maybe also the club) do not like the idea of Arsenal being the first game. My guess would be Brighton or Huddersfield in April. Hardly matters much at this point. The season will be more or less over by the time it happens (if it happens at all this year).

Well they hadn’t even officially moved the location for the United game as of like 4 weeks ago.

The entire thing has been hilariously mismanaged to this point and I think they’d be better to just say they’ll be in Wembley for the rest of this season and move into the new stadium next year.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Really excited to not be able to watch another round of Champions League action.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
PSG is hitting its worst form in months and United is in the best form in months.
This could be closer than I expected.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
PSG is hitting its worst form in months and United is in the best form in months.
This could be closer than I expected.

I think PSG will be too much to handle for ManU. Mbappe alone will have their defense on the back foot for the entirety of the two legs.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Not sure where to put this, but they're considering getting rid of the away goals rule, supposed to be deciding on it today. I assume they'll stick with the status quo but hey who knows

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Not sure where to put this, but they're considering getting rid of the away goals rule, supposed to be deciding on it today. I assume they'll stick with the status quo but hey who knows

At worst, they need to get rid of the away goals rules in extra time.

But I'm not against getting rid of it entirely, even though it will be weird at first.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
At worst, they need to get rid of the away goals rules in extra time.

But I'm not against getting rid of it entirely, even though it will be weird at first.

I think it's useful having a tiebreaker condition before extra time. Certainly without it there would be a lot more games going to extra time and penalties and I'm not sure how fondly teams (injury risk) and broadcasters (scheduling) would look at that. From the influence of those two players along I would expect it not to go through. From a fan's perspective there is the worry that the away team in the first game would have no reason not to bunker down and just wait to decide it in the home leg. On the other side... I can't really think of many positives to doing away with it. Don't particularly care one way or the other myself, it just seems like there are more arguments for keeping it than getting rid of it, other than perhaps a philosophical one.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Reus won't play against Spurs. He's out for ten days with a muscle injury.

Its hard to tell how we'll line up.

Piszczek is questionable due to ongoing ankle problems. He's been really good this season, and having him out injured would be another big injury. They are easing Zagadou back in after he missed almost two months, but the backline has been terrible recently, so they might scrap that plan and throw him back in. Akanji returned to training yesterday, but won't be fit for tomorrow's game.

My preferred back line would be Piszczek-Toprak-Zagadou-Hakimi, but we could just as easily see Weigl-Diallo in central defense. If Piszczek can't play, Hakimi will play RB, and Schmelzer or Diallo will come in at LB.

The Reus injury should be a very easy situation to sort out, but Favre has been stubborn with where he uses Goetze. It should be Goetze takes Reus spot, and Alcacer plays from the start. Favre doesn't like using Goetze in his best position, so it might be one of Alcacer/Goetze as the striker. He's been using Philipp in the Reus role, but Philipp does nothing in that position, and it would be dumb to try it again. Guerreiro could play that role better, if he insists on not using Goetze there. We could then bring Pulisic or Philipp in at Guerreiro's LW position.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I´m never happy to see injuries, but Reus being out does balance things out a bit. And hopefully both Reus and Kane are back for the return game.

I don´t know what to think about this game. Spurs without Kane playing some terrible football (even if they have been winning) would normally be slaughtered by BVB. But BVB not having won over the last three games, conceding a lot of goals and playing without Reus might be a different story. I haven´t watched BVB after Christmas, maybe the team is like Spurs? Playing badly?

I was quite certain Spurs would lose this as soon as Kane and Alli got injured, but now we might have a chance. Still think BVB will go through, but Spurs have been poor before for then suddenly to play proper football again. Can only hope. I almost can´t remember when Spurs played a really good game. Everton at the end of December I guess.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
So Reus, Paco, Weigl and Piszczek out.

If Spurs had just been 80% of what they can be at the moment I would have said clear win coming up. That is some important players missing and with three fairly questionable results on the trot BVB should be up for taking. However, the way Spurs are playing themselves these days I still don´t feel any certainty of even drawing the game.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Liverpool will likely have to play Matip and Fabinho at CB against Bayern, that's a huge downgrade compared to VVD and Gomez. And that is if Matip can manage to stay healthy..

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Liverpool will likely have to play Matip and Fabinho at CB against Bayern, that's a huge downgrade compared to VVD and Gomez. And that is if Matip can manage to stay healthy..
It is a sin they didn't add anyone in January. Would be a terrible thing to have cost them the league(s)

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
At least, in a sense, Matip has a good amount of experience against Bayern (and that team hasn't changed much). But yes...missing van Dijk in the opening game is going to be a big miss (as it always would be when he is out). I can't believe there's nobody else to play CB but here we are.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Injury issues look worse than initially thought.

Hakimi will have to play on the right, and then either Schmelzer or Diallo will be on the left. CB will be two of Diallo, Toprak and Zagadou. That only leaves one defender for the bench, so we are short on defenders. I guess Wolf can fill in at RB and Guerreiro at LB, but we don't want to have to use either at those positions. Alcacer out might force Favre to use Goetze as the CAM, unless he once again insists on Philipp as CAM and Goetze as CF, but those should be the two who play centrally in attack, unless somehow Guerreiro plays CAM, and then someone else comes in at LW.

Spurs also has a lot of injuries and I think we are the better team, so I don't think we'll do that poorly, but this'll likely be a 2-1 or 2-2 game. I don't think we'll be winning.

Edit: Balerdi traveled with the team, so he could make the squad for the first time as a Dortmund player. It would be insanity to play him, but he could sit on the bench.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I gotta admit, those CL matchups might be some of the best in years. I think there is so much unpredictability before these matches even if all the big dogs win in the end.

I got...

Roma vs Porto
Man United vs PSG (barely)
Spurs vs BVB
Ajax vs Real Madrid (will be super close)
Lyon vs Barcelona
Liverpool vs Bayern (hoping for Munich, but just can't see it)
Atletico vs Juventus (will also be super close)
Schalke vs Man City

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Hmmm...I could see United pulling something off with Neymar and Cavani out.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
When the draw came out, my feeling was 'not in the face' for United against PSG.

But fast forward a couple months, and with form and injuries, I could see it competitive. They really have to win at OT though. On the road, with PSG getting guys back isn't the place to try to make up goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad