GWT: Champions League Final: Real Madrid vs. Atletico Madrid

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
As much as I dislike Ronaldo and RM but I wouldn't say that Atleti deserved more. They controlled the game more because they had no choice. They've conceded early and they had to put some pressure.

Didn't enjoy the game entertainment wise though. Zidane got very lucky because we would have been talking about his stupid subs by now had they lost. I also think Ronaldo was clearly playing injured because he was horrible.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
You won via an offside goal and according to some of your supporters on this very site Ramos should have been sent off. So yeah, it's no surprise.

And the penalty awarded to AM wasn't a penalty.
Torres made the foul not Pepe

Not the refs fault if Grizz missed it

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
That reaction to Real Madrid winning is not surprising though is it? Especially given the source.

Anyway, congrats to Real Madrid.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
As much as I dislike Ronaldo and RM but I wouldn't say that Atleti deserved more. They controlled the game more because they had no choice. They've conceded early and they had to put some pressure.

Didn't enjoy the game entertainment wise though. Zidane got very lucky because we would have been talking about his stupid subs by now had they lost. I also think Ronaldo was clearly playing injured because he was horrible.

That makes no sense. It's not like you can control the game against them at will just because you have to.

And Atletico were also the better team in extra-time so that holds no water.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
That makes no sense. It's not like you can control the game against them at will just because you have to.

And Atletico were also the better team in extra-time so that holds no water.

When you talk about 2 top 5 teams in Europe facing each other yes this is what usually happens. Not like Atletli are an inept team. When you're playing a final and leading it's only natural that you want to protect your lead and vice versa.

Extra time looked even to me. Let's be fair here.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
And the penalty awarded to AM wasn't a penalty.
Torres made the foul not Pepe

Not the refs fault if Grizz missed it

I wouldn't know, I didn't see the penalty. Either way it didn't matter as Greizmann didn't convert it on top of the fact that a penalty that shouldn't be awarded isn't as significant as a goal that shouldn't stand being allowed to stand. One call affected the result the other did not. Madrid won as a result of a goal that shouldn't have stood. If the refs get that call right they don't win. If Atleti's penalty wasn't a penalty and Griezmann had converted it then I'd say the same applies to them. It doesn't though because they didn't win.

That reaction to Real Madrid winning is not surprising though is it? Especially given the source.

Anyway, congrats to Real Madrid.

Nor is it surprising that you can't get the facts right much less that you're wrong per usual. Anyway, it's hilarious commentary coming from someone who moaned about the ref multiple times during the Europa League Final. Consider the source indeed.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
When you talk about 2 top 5 teams in Europe facing each other yes this is what usually happens. Not like Atletli are an inept team. When you're playing a final and leading it's only natural that you want to protect your lead and vice versa.

Extra time looked even to me. Let's be fair here.

So you only get credit for controlling the game if you're tied or winning?

I don't think Atletico were robbed or anything, but it shouldn't really matter if they came out because they had to. They're primarily a counter-attacking team and to switch their gameplan like that and come out and dominate the half surely deserves some credit.

mmk786

Mar 3, 2004
Tight game. Ronaldo was terrible. That Vasquez kid did more in a few minutes than Ronaldo did all game apart from the pen ofcourse. Strange substitutions from both managers. Why is Juanfran taking a penalty ahead of someone like Torres or Carrasco?

Plato

Nov 12, 2005
New York
Well this thread was predictably cancer.
Classic CL final for me. Fell asleep after Ramos' goal, woke up to see the score level, passed out again and woke up just in time for the pens. Thrilling stuff.
Somebody wake me up when the Championship begins.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
just got to my hotel after a 15 hour journey and was able to check this out.....ouuuuch poor Atleti to lose in penalties damn. Did Simeone cry? sheesh this one has to hurt

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Nor is it surprising that you can't get the facts right much less that you're wrong per usual. Anyway, it's hilarious commentary coming from someone who moaned about the ref multiple times during the Europa League Final. Consider the source indeed.

:laugh:

What facts are those? That Real Madrid won and Barcelona/Bayern didn't? I don't think you are nearly as witty or informed as you think you come off as. I think that 90% of the time your response to things is just literally the reverse of what is said, and it rarely makes sense.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
:laugh:

What facts are those? That Real Madrid won and Barcelona/Bayern didn't? I don't think you are nearly as witty or informed as you think you come off as. I think that 90% of the time your response to things is just literally the reverse of what is said, and it rarely makes sense.

:laugh: This coming from the guy who follows me (and others quite frankly) around the forum because he's still ******** years after being shown he's wrong. Not to mention you're getting personal, again.

And what exactly am I not informed about? Pray tell. The only thing I've commented on is the Ramos goal being offside. That's a fact. Are you saying he wasn't offside?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
People keep saying that Ronaldo was terrible, but he shouldn't have played in the first place. He's playing through an injury, and he delivered the game winning goal.

He's a big game player, and an extraordinary talent. Deal with it.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
People keep saying that Ronaldo was terrible, but he shouldn't have played in the first place. He's playing through an injury, and he delivered the game winning goal.

He's a big game player, and an extraordinary talent. Deal with it.

Yes, it should be noted that Ronaldo likely wasn't 100% fit. How fit he was I don't know, but he didn't seem too troubled out there. Sounds like it was hot in Milan and a lot of players seemed to suffer. Still Ronaldo wasn't 100% fit from what I read leading up to the match. Not sure about a match-winning goal though. He scored the winning penalty kick in a penalty shoot-out (where the opposition missed one of theirs).

He is definitely a big match player, sometimes.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Yes, it should be noted that Ronaldo likely wasn't 100% fit. How fit he was I don't know, but he didn't seem too troubled out there. Sounds like it was hot in Milan and a lot of players seemed to suffer. Still Ronaldo wasn't 100% fit from what I read leading up to the match. Not sure about a match-winning goal though. He scored the winning penalty kick in a penalty shoot-out (where the opposition missed one of theirs).

He is definitely a big match player, sometimes.

He once again led the tournament in scoring by far, and his team would've lost against Wolfsburg if not for him bagging a hat trick in the second leg. I don't think it's reasonable to expect perfection from any player in every game. They have ups and downs.

Sure, he didn't score, but I thought he was doing everything he could to help his team win. He almost got one, slipped by the defender but pushed the ball too far ahead of him. Made a nice challenge defensively while RM was protecting a fragile 1-0 lead. Moved to the right side in an attempt to confuse the Atleti defense.

I think that RM, and Zidane in particular, deserve some praise for turning around what was going to be a disastrous campaign before Benitez got sacked.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
He once again led the tournament in scoring by far, and his team would've lost against Wolfsburg if not for him bagging a hat trick in the second leg. I don't think it's reasonable to expect perfection from any player in every game. They have ups and downs.

Sure, he didn't score, but I thought he was doing everything he could to help his team win. He almost got one, slipped by the defender but pushed the ball too far ahead of him. Made a nice challenge defensively while RM was protecting a fragile 1-0 lead. Moved to the right side in an attempt to confuse the Atleti defense.

I think that RM, and Zidane in particular, deserve some praise for turning around what was going to be a disastrous campaign before Benitez got sacked.

Zidane deserves little credit. The players respect him because he's an ex-player I suppose. His work as a coach though? Meh.

Wow, he scored some goals against Wolfsburg. Big game player. Confuse the Atletico defense? Christ.

By the way I was surprised Atleti didn't dominate us in the air.
They usually kill us on set plays

They were very weak defending set plays today. Highly unusual.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

I agree and I agreed with you that he's a big match player. However he isn't all the time and he's certainly nowhere near the best players in that regard. As I said somewhat recently though, Ronaldo came up big in 2013-14 as a match winner. I don't recall who all the matches were against, but he won Madrid a lot of matches.

Yes, he did have an amazing scoring record in the CL this season. However if you actually look who he scored against then it doesn't look so amazing. I mean more than 1/3 of those goals came against Malmo.

I didn't watch the whole match. I saw about half of it and the penalty shootout. However I did see him getting back to help defensively. Of course as defensive as Madrid were from what I saw that doesn't surprise me. Still he doesn't always do that when I see him play. Overall though from what I saw he was very average. Madrid weren't great in attack though and not all of his runs were picked up by his teammates.

It's interesting about Zidane as there have been articles (in the Barça papers at least) about Emery potentially replacing Zidane. No way that happens now. Anyway, he does deserve some credit. His fielding Casemiro has been a big help and Madrid are more balanced under Zidane than they were under Benitez. Still from what I've seen they haven't been that much better.

By the way I was surprised Atleti didn't dominate us in the air.
They usually kill us on set plays

They were very weak defending set plays today. Highly unusual.

Atleti simply didn't look that great overall from what I saw. Some easy giveaways and some poor decision quality. On top of that they did themselves no favors to win the match despite Ramos' goal.

Sykie

Feb 28, 2002
Geneva
snhl.free.fr
Well I can't be more neutral as I really don't give a **** about those two teams, but once more, this sport is really a disgrace. Besides the usual cheating/acting crap that happens pretty constantly, it is very clear once more referee decisions gave the cup to Real here.

Firstly, the goal was offside, and Real should not have scored in the first place. Secondly, the huge fault of Ramos at the end of the game when Atletico was going for a 3 on 1 to kill the game should have been a red card without any kind of discussion. And ironically, Ramos scored his penalty later.

Atletico fans have very legit reasons to feel stolen here. Anybody saying otherwise would not be honest here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->