GWT: Champions League Final: Real Madrid vs. Atletico Madrid

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Horrible advertisement for La Liga. Poor Final where Atleti and more so the ref gave it to Madrid. Hilarious lack of commentary on the ref amongst other things.

The hate is strong against RM. Yet there they are holding the Champion's League trophy once again.

I wonder if Pep will ever make another final.

:huh: Are you high? What a laughable post.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Worst site to win the Champions League I've seen so far. And sorry, Club Atlético de Madrid, but if you can't beat THAT Real ... you're never going to win the CL.

And Zidane – has any coach ever won the CL while being less deserving? :laugh:

Roberto di Matteo?

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Yea I'm not sure what you'd really have against Clattenburg.

Took the tone of the match really well early. Could have handed out several yellows in the first half, but in the end did what was needed to calm the game down.

I'd love to have seen a yellow for Pepe being a joke, but that card is never going to be given in a tight final by any ref, so I can hardly fault him.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Not an inspiring performance from either team. Atletico were on cruise mode in the 1st half, and Zidane was lucky the substitutions didn't cost him this game in the 2nd and ET. Danilo was getting skinned and Ronaldo didn't seem quite match fit for this one. Real fans will gladly take this though, it's been an up and down year.

On to the Euros.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
You won via an offside goal and according to some of your supporters on this very site Ramos should have been sent off. So yeah, it's no surprise.

Clattenburg got the Ramos call 100% right and offsides happen. It sucks, but it's not like it was a horrendous call, it's a tough one to make on a deflection like that.

Ultimately Atletico scored a single goal against a poor Real side that had multiple players cramping up by the end...that's not on the ref.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
You won via an offside goal and according to some of your supporters on this very site Ramos should have been sent off. So yeah, it's no surprise.

The offside was incredibly tight in real time, it's easy to look at screenshots and say "clear offside" but it was a tough call for any linesman. The Ramos booking was said by many here (including myself) to be worthy of red, but again that was an up-in-the-air one. Definitely coulda gone both ways.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010

He was slightly offside but the linesman doesn't have the benefit of video replay like we do, especially given how quickly the play transpired.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I'm not disappointed. I simply pointed out facts putting the result into context. Like I said before the match, I expected Madrid to win (without the refs). On top of that we just won a Double on top of a Treble and did so with an amazing season.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Forgiving the linesman is one thing, but that doesn't change the fact that he was offside and the goal shouldn't have stood and therefore Madrid don't win.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Gutted to see Atletico come up short, but in PKs the 'looser' team usually wins and Real looked like they were less overwhelmed by the moment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad