Champions Hockey League planned for 08-09

Petey21

Dec 19, 2003
Sweden
www.geocities.com
Just heard about a new Champions Hockey League planned to launch in 08-09, featuring the best club teams in Europe. Similar to soccer's UEFA Champions League with qualification rounds for the smaller hockey countries (countries ranked 7-24 in Europe), and then another qualification round for the runner-ups from the top-6 countries. There's also talk about a matchup against an NHL challenger for a world trophy in late September. What do you all think of this?

http://live82.ihwc.net/english/article/news/index.ihwc?&artId=2477

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
Don't care for the initials...

...we already have a couple CHL-s.

I like the idea of a bigger continental tournament. The worlds come and go pretty fast and the groups are rather small. More exposure will help to promote hockey more in Europe. I do think 24 leagues may be a bit much though. I can see some very lopsided games featuring teams from the lowest ranked leagues, which could actually turn off fans from developing hockey countries.

Guillemin

Mar 10, 2006
Vancouver
I think some of the later round matchups would provide the kind of excitement that UEFA gets over their Champion's League matchups. I dunno about the huge travel expenses teams would have to incur to play in another team's building, if that's what's planned.

Great idea, hope it works.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
There needs to be a large amount of money to be made, else most of the teams won't care one bit.

From Germany's perspective:
Teams already use the German cup-tournament (similar to those in soccer) to rest their players. Pretty much every game that is not a league-match is unimportant to them.
Plans are made to reduce the number of regular season games to have more time for the national team, I don't see how European competition fits in there. Especially if it's only one or two teams which are involved in such games. No one wants to play way more games than the rest of the league.

Besides, I doubt that fan interest wil be all that big. There is no ongoing tradition for such a tournament, like there is in football.

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
There is no ongoing tradition for such a tournament, like there is in football.

European Hockey League, European Champions Cup?

Gotta start somewhere anyway. Hopefully all teams will take it seriously. If not, atleast it will allow for more upsets by lower ranked teams and will help spread popularity.

I'm sure if the IIHF does a good job getting it on TV across Europe (and hopefully in North America too, I want to watch!) the prize money will reach large proportions and teams will have a reason to play well.

(Though they should already have enough incentive. It's kind of sad and reflects badly on the sport when teams don't care to be crowned champions of Europe and have a chance to play the Stanley Cup champion. Is money really that important? NHL players don't get paid in the playoffs. They play to get their name engraved on a trophy which is far more important than any paycheck. European teams need to learn to play for the game and not their wallets.)

Petey21

Dec 19, 2003
Sweden
www.geocities.com
There needs to be a large amount of money to be made, else most of the teams won't care one bit.

As for the money, here's what the article I linked to says:

“The competition will not only contribute to the sportive development of club hockey in Europe, but it will also be financially very rewarding for the clubs, especially the ones that reach the CHL group stage,” said René Fasel who informed that a guaranteed sum of 16.9 million Swiss francs (CHF) will be distributed among the clubs with one million CHF bonus going to the winner. “This is by far the largest sum ever involved in a European club competition, added Fasel.”

The winner receives one million CHF, which roughly equals to some 610,000 euros or 825,000 American dollars. And there will be a total amount of 16.9 million CHF to be split by the participating clubs (which roughly equals to some 10.3 million euros or 14 million American dollars).

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
anyway, it won't be so interesting league, because Russian teams will be dominating and I am not sure if any team other than NHL can make competition for them. The last ECC has proved that.

Hawkhead

Jun 5, 2004
Canada
www.kiekko.tk
Russian teams dominating?

I would definitely rank the Finnish league as the best league outside of the NHL

Sweden could also be better htne the russian league

They already have one of these in Europe Karpat won didnt they?

German and Swiss teams are also very good

edmonton_ice

Jul 3, 2006
Edmonton
www.mulletsgalore.com
Great Idea

I think is a great way of bring more attention to hockey in Europe and increasing the talent overall. It's a great way to promote the game. It would be interesting to see the best club teams in Europe battle for the title.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area

I would definitely rank the Finnish league as the best league outside of the NHL

The last ECC

Final game: HPK Hämeenlinna(FIN) - Ak Bars Kazan(RUS) - 0:6 (0:3, 0:0, 0:3)

RR game: Ak Bars Kazan - Färjestads BK(SWE) - 6:4 (2:2; 2:1; 2:1)

RR game: HC Lugano(SWI) - Ak Bars Kazan - 0:3 (0:1; 0:1; 0:1)

the last 3 ECC champions

Ak Bars Kazan(RUS)
HC Dynamo Moscow(RUS)
Avangard Omsk(RUS)

questions?

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006

Finnish league? Actually considering how good their national team is, their domestic league is actually pretty bad.

I'd rank them like this:

- Russia
- Sweden
- Switzerland
- Germany
- Finland
- Czech Republic
- Slovakia

Austrian, Norwegian, Danish, Belorussian, French and British leagues would probably come after that.

scud9

Jun 2, 2006
Finnish league? Actually considering how good their national team is, their domestic league is actually pretty bad.

I'd rank them like this:

- Russia
- Sweden
- Switzerland
- Germany
- Finland
- Czech Republic
- Slovakia

Austrian, Norwegian, Danish, Belorussian, French and British leagues would probably come after that.

Otherwise you are quite right but I would put Finland ahead of Switzerland simply because of average finnish leagueplayer is far better than swiss one. Foreigners (= top players) are better in Switzerland but because of legislation there is only too few of them.

hdw

Jul 9, 2006
Stockholm
I think that it can be really good.

But it requires that there's enough money (and TV) involved.
Which also requires that two stage approach that they have proposed.

The lesser (sorry, developing) hockey nations starting out with some form of qualifications and the established ones added later.

Otherwise it'll be too many unintresting games.
(Danish champions vs Norwegians champions can be a good game, Danish champions vs Swedish champions is very unlikely to be good).

If it's done right it will be good for hockey.

Let's hope they don't mess up.

Jokerit Wasp

Mar 8, 2004

I'd rank them like this:

- Russia
- Sweden
- Switzerland
- Germany
- Finland
- Czech Republic
- Slovakia

haha, how much SM-Liiga have you seen? and you would honestly put DEL ahead of it??!! :biglaugh: And Swiss league ahead of SM-Liiga? Players from Finnish league score say 45pts in 50games, then go to Switzerland score 70 in 50 games. :biglaugh:
Its hard to compare leagues as it is, so the Super Six can give us some indication, of which Russia always wins, Finland always second.

IMO:
1)Russia 2) Sweden 3) Finland 4) Czech 5) Switzerland 6) Germany 7) Slovakia

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
Otherwise you are quite right but I would put Finland ahead of Switzerland simply because of average finnish leagueplayer is far better than swiss one. Foreigners (= top players) are better in Switzerland but because of legislation there is only too few of them.

And the Foreigners are why I would put the Swiss league ahead. The best foreigners tend to gravitate towards the Swiss and German leagues - not the Finnish league.

Jokerit Wasp: You think SM-Liiga teams are better based on ECC results? Hardly. Kazan players were quoted as saying that the Swiss champion was their hardest match of the tournament. Just because they had to face Kazan in an earlier round does not mean they should be overlooked by a team (SM-Liiga champion) who had an easier group stage. Also, it's hard for German teams to compete with your Finnish teams when they don't even get the chance.

But all in all, this is what will be great about this tournament. National pride! (Granted all the teams take it seriously *cough*Sweden*cough*)

Jokerit Wasp

Mar 8, 2004
Jokerit Wasp: You think SM-Liiga teams are better based on ECC results? Hardly.

No, it wasnt based solely on that, it was just something i considered. Ive seen Swiss hockey live (mainly in Geneva) and obviously tonns of Finnish and Swedish hockey. I like Finnish hockey more, but as stated in my last thread i think the Swedish Elitserien is better, so i didnt use any 'national pride' there.
Ive also seen many players move from SM-Liiga to Switzerland and rip up the scoring charts... jesus, wasnt Luganos line up a few season back basically all Finnish.. Peltonen, Hentunen, Nummelin and Metropolit (yep i know he isnt finnish)

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Regarding the NLA vs Sm-Liiga issue, Glen Metropolit said that the top teams were as good in both leagues, but the bottom teams are better in Finland.

hdw

Jul 9, 2006
Stockholm
But all in all, this is what will be great about this tournament. National pride! (Granted all the teams take it seriously *cough*Sweden*cough*)

With enough money on the line even Swedish teams will find some national pride :)

ELab2

Apr 9, 2007
Atlantic City
Now we're talking. Forget NHL teams in Europe thats absurd, but this is a GREAT IDEA especially if the NHL participates. Even an extension on this would be a Champions League for lower league teams (AHL from the NHL) and the countries junior leagues (NCAA from the U.S.).

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
September is training time and preseason match-ups against HIGH QUALITY opponents is in EVERY team's interests heading into regular league play.

market the hell out of such a champions league, with first rate coverage, especially camera angles and interviews and play by play skill, and marketing support and even have a charity sponsor... make it an EVENT...

hockey is so big in europe it is a hige advantage of any of the american-played sports (except perhaps for basketball, but even then, hockey is huge in more and bigger countries)

if one of the russian leagues gets on board than all the better!

hdw

Jul 9, 2006
Stockholm
September is training time and preseason match-ups against HIGH QUALITY opponents is in EVERY team's interests heading into regular league play.

market the hell out of such a champions league, with first rate coverage, especially camera angles and interviews and play by play skill, and marketing support and even have a charity sponsor... make it an EVENT...

Well a matchup between the NHL Champion and the C(hampions)HL Chamion would at least be as marketable as j.random NHL team vs some j.random Euro team (like the planned London event).

But there's lots of problem at the same time, different ice, different rules and continous sniping between IIHF and NHL.

But they should be able to get the european side rolling at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad