Champions Hockey League opens in August 2014 [without KHL Teams]

Status
Not open for further replies.

quartus

May 11, 2011
Not directly comparable as one is a tournament and one is a league.

They both miss out on the premium feel. If you compare:

Football CL = 32 teams
Handball CL = 24 teams
Volleyball CL = 28 teams
Basketball EL = 24 teams

Why then should the hockey have 40 teams? That's not logical.

punchonico99

Jan 2, 2014
Quebec
Agreed. Teams like Spartak, Atlant, Vityaz, Neftekhimik, Yugra, Severstal and Novokuznetsk should be replaced by Western clubs, and then move all the Russian clubs East of "Central Moscow", or East of St. Petersburg to the Eastern Conference, to create a new Eastern and Western Conference!

Teams like SKA, CSKA, Dynamo (perhaps Sochi, I can't decide if they should be in the Western of Eastern Conference with "this system") would be attractive to watch in the Western countries.

I have a dream!!!

bordshockeypampen

Dec 11, 2013
They both miss out on the premium feel. If you compare:

Football CL = 32 teams
Handball CL = 24 teams
Volleyball CL = 28 teams
Basketball EL = 24 teams

Why then should the hockey have 40 teams? That's not logical.
Yes, CHL do miss out a bit on the premium feel, but instead the might get involvement and interest from fans of more clubs.

In the other sports there are more teams involved in European competitions, but they are split up in different levels. (UEFA Europa League, Challenge Cup...)

BlueBratislava

Nov 7, 2013
When I said that the travel expenses won't be covered by the start money in the CHL, some people were bashing me here. Today a news report came out that the Czech Champion- PSG Zlin are considering not playing, because they are far from an international airport and are not sure if they will be able to cover the time and money on travelling on top of their league budget. [Mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

quartus

May 11, 2011
Yes, CHL do miss out a bit on the premium feel, but instead the might get involvement and interest from fans of more clubs.

In the other sports there are more teams involved in European competitions, but they are split up in different levels. (UEFA Europa League, Challenge Cup...)
With football it works because it's such a big sport. With the handball for example many clubs have a hard time to get it to work financially in the smaller tournaments.

As BlueBratislava mentions, it might be the same here with the money part. And if that happens it certainly doesn't add to the premium feel.

Maybe they could solve it with a two-tier European system in hockey too, but I have no idea how you could make that work though.

marquinhos

Jul 1, 2012
Kazan
When I said that the travel expenses won't be covered by the start money in the CHL, some people we bashing me here. Today a news report came out that the Czech Champion- PSG Zlin are considering not playing, because they are far from an international airport and are not sure if they will be able to cover the time and money on travelling on top of their league budget. [Mod]

Do you have any link?

Last edited by a moderator:

alce*

Last post about it in this thread, heading too much OT

No, I ment replacing the Russian clubs I named, with more attractive Western clubs, and move the current Russian teams in the Western Conference (except for SKA, CSKA and Dynamo) to the Eastern Conference. The league will remain the same.

Good idea. I think that two simple steps could help to achieve it.

First, all foreign teams stop take money from Russian sponsors.
Second, European companies start paying sponsor money to SKA, Dynamo and CSKA.

And then we all will be happy. :laugh:

The idea that Russia will be paying for some European mini-league is just ridiculous. If you want such league, good, but in that case you should pay for it yourself. It isn't in Russia interest at all.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
When I said that the travel expenses won't be covered by the start money in the CHL, some people were bashing me here. Today a news report came out that the Czech Champion- PSG Zlin are considering not playing, because they are far from an international airport and are not sure if they will be able to cover the time and money on travelling on top of their league budget. Next time don't hastily react like if you're peaking puberty :laugh:
isn't there some kind of budget for that expenses? vtb league, for example, if my memory doesn't fail me, cover expenses of that kind. that's strange. i thought fasel and the priviliged clubs that are founding fathers of the tournament'd raise the money for that purpose

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
isn't there some kind of budget for that expenses? vtb league, for example, if my memory doesn't fail me, cover expenses of that kind. that's strange. i thought fasel and the priviliged clubs that are founding fathers of the tournament'd raise the money for that purpose

Or it's team budget related. E.g. JYP got their travel expenses for the ET covered for by that 50K they got for winning it.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
Or it's team budget related. E.g. JYP got their travel expenses for the ET covered for by that 50K they got for winning it.
well, not everyone'll win it but i hope there'll be some nice prize money for all participants:) though the first couple of years might be a bit bumpy

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
well, not everyone'll win it but i hope there'll be some nice prize money for all participants:) though the first couple of years might be a bit bumpy

1,5 million euros to be shared. Not known yet how it will be. I think the draw for the groups takes place during the Worlds.

quartus

May 11, 2011
According to hockey-news.info the CHL will expand theiry numbers of teams up to 44(!!!).

According to wikipedia they've added:
Code:
Denmark SønderjyskE Ishockey	   Vojens	   Metal Ligaen
France Diables Rouges de Briançon	   Briançon	   Ligue Magnus
United Kingdom Nottingham Panthers  Nottingham Elite Ice Hockey League	
Norway VÃ¥lerenga Ishockey	           Oslo 	   GET-ligaen
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014–15_Champions_Hockey_League

Why not add Spanish and Turkish teams too?

Actually I don't mind the additions, really. But they should remove some teams too...

pulverapa

Jul 22, 2011
Stockholm
Skellefteå - Nottingham 22-1 ? :laugh:

Well, I don't mind a road trip to Nottingham in August. Sounds like fun actually. I would like to see the reaction from Nottingham natives when they see a couple of fans to another team and wondering what the hell is going on...

"Excuse me, who are you guys?"
"We're here for ice hockey!"
"Is there ice hockey in Nottingham???"
"Yes."
"Forest 'til I die!"

Last edited:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Well, they should remove 12 teams and play with 32 Teams instead of 44.

CHL is feeling for me a little too much bloated for a premium-tournament

Former CHL had much more premium feel into it. This has more of the preseason tournament feel into it. It's basically another ET but with much more teams (which I'm not sure all raise the level of the tournament).

But, more hockey is never bad for the fans. I don't believe huge profit for the teams taking part though. At least KalPa advertised that if you buy season ticket, you get all CHL games for free, and it hansn't affected the season ticket price. Looks like the demand is not expected to be high.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
CHL is feeling for me a little too much bloated for a premium-tournament

UEFA Champions league actually has more than 60 teams participating, nobody seems to mind. It's just the question of how quickly you can get rid of the weak teams.

quartus

May 11, 2011
UEFA Champions league actually has more than 60 teams participating, nobody seems to mind. It's just the question of how quickly you can get rid of the weak teams.

You can't really include the qualification though. That would be like saying that 203 countries participate in the World Cup in Brazil. A tad misleading.

And as far as I know, they're not going to have qualification rounds in CHL.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Former CHL had much more premium feel into it. This has more of the preseason tournament feel into it. It's basically another ET but with much more teams (which I'm not sure all raise the level of the tournament).

But, more hockey is never bad for the fans. I don't believe huge profit for the teams taking part though. At least KalPa advertised that if you buy season ticket, you get all CHL games for free, and it hansn't affected the season ticket price. Looks like the demand is not expected to be high.

Except that games aren't played during pre-season, majority during the season.

The draw and the format will happen on the 19 in Minsk during the Worlds so more will be known then.

quartus

May 11, 2011
Skellefteå - Nottingham 22-1 ? :laugh:

Well, I don't mind a road trip to Nottingham in August. Sounds like fun actually. I would like to see the reaction from Nottingham natives when they see a couple of fans to another team and wondering what the hell is going on...

"Excuse me, who are you guys?"
"We're here for ice hockey!"
"Is there ice hockey in Nottingham???"
"Yes."
"Forest 'til I die!"

Apparently they have a huge fanbase and a SHL-sized arena:
The Nottingham Panthers have one of the largest fanbases in British ice hockey, averaging over 5,000 spectators per game during the 2012–13 season.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nottingham_Panthers
DSCN2051.jpg

pulverapa

Jul 22, 2011
Stockholm
I think this tournament has huge potential and I'd like to see 64 teams in 16 different groups with the winner advancing to Last 32.

16 teams from the KHL
8 teams from Sweden
8 teams from Finland
8 teams from Germany
8 teams from Switzerland
4 teams from Czech Republic
4 teams from Austria (EBEL)
2 teams from Norway
2 teams from Slovakia
1 team from Denmark
1 team from Great Britain
1 team from Italy
1 team from France

Automatically qualify for the CHL group stage:

6 teams from KHL
4 teams from Sweden
4 teams from Finland
4 teams from Germany
4 teams from Switzerland
1 team from Czech Republic
1 team from Austria

That leaves 8 more spots for 40 teams.

Seeded teams in CHL Qualifying (enter in the final [4th] round):

2 teams from KHL
2 teams from Sweden
2 teams from Finland
1 teams from Germany
1 teams from Switzerland

That leaves us with 32 teams fighting for 8 spots in the final qualifying round.

Following teams receive a bye in the 1st Qualifying round:

8 teams from KHL
2 teams from Sweden
2 teams from Finland
2 teams from Germany
2 teams from Switzerland

That leaves us with 16 teams in the 1st Qualifying round.

Following teams receive a bye in the 2nd qualifying round:

4 teams from KHL
1 team from Sweden
1 team from Finland
1 team from Germany
1 team from Switzerland

That leaves us with 16 teams in the 2nd qualifying round where 8 teams will be seeded (those who had a bye in the previous round).

3rd qualifying round:

16 teams play in an open draw to finally get to the 4th and final qualifying round.

Huge. :)

Last edited:

BlueBratislava

Nov 7, 2013
Apparently they have a huge fanbase and a SHL-sized arena:

DSCN2051.jpg

It annoys me to death how certain people picture their own version of reality about hockey in other countries in Europe. There are teams from non-traditional leagues/countries that can be interesting in the CHL, if they are given a chance to play for something more than their league. All they need is that one opportunity to at least test them out, maybe this could trigger future improvement of their status quo ;)

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It annoys me to death how certain people picture their own version of reality about hockey in other countries in Europe. There are teams from non-traditional leagues/countries that can be interesting in the CHL, if they are given a chance to play for something more than their league. All they need is that one opportunity to at least test them out, maybe this could trigger future improvement of their status quo ;)

Many Finns, especially HIFK fans, still remember the EHL match from the late 90's between HIFK and Manchester Storm. So much fighting. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->