Champagne Wishes and Caviar Dreams: Future Line Combos

drgregg

SLAP CHOP
Jun 7, 2012
as seen on TV
First ever thread! Better late than never.

All Coyote fans are excited about the potential future of this team. I have been playing around with future line combos and would love to hear what everyone thinks about the potential look of this team a few years down the road.
I know that many prospects never turn out but this thread is for the dreamers. When you envision the future line up of the team what do you see?
Where do Hanzal, Reider, Keller, Perlini fit in? Who are Strome's line mates? Who centres Domi/Duclair?

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Domi - Dvorak - Duclair
Perlini - Strome - Samuelsson
Crouse - Keller - Fischer
Martinook - MacInnis - Merkley

Above assumes Dauphin and Looke don't quite make the cut. Also assumes the rest of the guys all make it, which is unlikely. I really hope Samuelsson steps up this season.

drgregg

SLAP CHOP
Jun 7, 2012
as seen on TV
Domi - Dvorak - Duclair
Perlini - Strome - Samuelsson
Crouse - Keller - Fischer
Martinook - MacInnis - Merkley

Above assumes Dauphin and Looke don't quite make the cut. Also assumes the rest of the guys all make it, which is unlikely. I really hope Samuelsson steps up this season.

That pretty much mirrors what I had been thinking too. Samuelsson's development path has been so odd to this point, I hope everything settles down for him and he can take that next step. He seemed to have some chemistry with Dvorak 2 years ago.

drgregg

SLAP CHOP
Jun 7, 2012
as seen on TV
Domi - Strome - Duclair
Perlini - Keller - Fischer
Crouse - Dvorak - Merkley
Martinook - MacInnis - Samuelsson

I like this too, but do Strome and the D's playing styles look like they would mesh? Also, is that elusive right shot centre needed to round things out, does it look good as is?

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I like this too, but do Strome and the D's playing styles look like they would mesh? Also, is that elusive right shot centre needed to round things out, does it look good as is?

Can only make future prospect lineups on what we have currently. We definitely could use a rightie to take draws - maybe that allows Keller to shift to wing where his size won't be as big of an issue. But who and how that position gets filled is anyone's guess.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Domi - Strome - DuClair
Crouse - Dvorak - Garland
Rieder - Keller - Fisher
Nook - MacInnis - Samuelsson

I say Garland because I think he will become our version of Eberle. 1 deminsional scoring winger, who will be paired well with Crouse and Dvorak. Both could have very strong 2 way ability in the NHL. I also believe Dvorak's passing is a bit overlooked and could end up a 20-40 center for us. With the addition of Crouse I think that is an ideal 2nd line (assuming everyone pans out).

I worry that Perlini or Merkley won't pan out to be more than bottom 6 players and likely will fall victim to better defensively players taking their spots.. Or we trade them for assets.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Hmmm

Domi - Strome - Duclair
Dvorak - Keller - Fischer
Crouse - MacInnis - McGinn
Martinook - Gaudet - Merkley/Samuelsson

I am confident Strome, Dvorak, Keller, Fischer and Crouse can all make it as top 9 guys. Iffy on Merkley and Samuelsson and doubtful Perlini, Garland, Dauphin become regular NHLers.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Domi - Strome - Duclair

This lineup has a very clear talent progression from bottom to top. The one I posted has three equal lines. I think guys that thrive with the puck on their stick (Domi, Strome, Keller, Merkley) should all be split up. Who knows though, maybe they'll mesh well and dominate together. We haven't had the chance to find out.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
This lineup has a very clear talent progression from bottom to top. The one I posted has three equal lines. I think guys that thrive with the puck on their stick (Domi, Strome, Keller, Merkley) should all be split up. Who knows though, maybe they'll mesh well and dominate together. We haven't had the chance to find out.

This is my philosophy, too. Lines will be dictated more by chemistry and style than talent. I also don't know of a single coach in this league capable of keeping his line combos set for more than a few games at a time. The value of this much depth is the flexibility it affords.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

I've got playmakers on the first 3 lines as well as size on each - only Domi and Strome are on the same line. 4th line is a bit of a Rorschach test of how what role do you see it playing - frankly I think Merkley has Top 6 upside despite his injury and although he has jam to his game I don't see him as a 4th line type. I think he can mesh well being the primary driver on offense with Dvorak and Crouse.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I like this too. I've lost a lot of confidence in HankSam though.

Don't forget HS was hurt last year, and like Murphy and Dvorak, lost some valuable development time, but those two are doing fine so let's keep our fingers crossed.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
Domi - Strome - Duclair
There are so many ways to line them up but this is as good as any. I could see Merkley being a bit higher up but he doesn't bring the size so maybe this is right. I think Keller will be an awesome 2C. I hope Samuelsson can do it but I'm starting to have doubts. I wonder if one day Karlsson will be able to fill that spot. I love the style he plays.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Crouse - Strome - Keller
Domi - Dvorak - Duclair
Rieder - MacInnis - Fischer
Nook - Dauphin - White

I could be wrong but I don't think that Keller will be playing C and the NHL level...it seems pretty likely that he transitions to wing. Keller and Crouse could also switch sides because I think Crouse can probably play either side...

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I could be wrong but I don't think that Keller will be playing C and the NHL level...it seems pretty likely that he transitions to wing. Keller and Crouse could also switch sides because I think Crouse can probably play either side...

I believe the general rule with wingers is that you keep the playmakers on their strong-side wing and then play the shooters/snipers on the off-wing. Of course there are exceptions to this (Kane and St. Louis were very effective on their off-wing while Perlini has had difficulty playing as an RW), and players can develop a preference over time. But I do think Keller would be an LW if he can't hack it as a C.

Domi - Strome - Duclair
Keller - Dvorak - Fischer
Perlini - MacInnis - Merkley
Nook - Dauphin - Samuelsson

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I believe the general rule with wingers is that you keep the playmakers on their strong-side wing and then play the shooters/snipers on the off-wing. Of course there are exceptions to this (Kane and St. Louis were very effective on their off-wing while Perlini has had difficulty playing as an RW), and players can develop a preference over time. But I do think Keller would be an LW if he can't hack it as a C.

Domi - Strome - Duclair
Keller - Dvorak - Fischer
Perlini - MacInnis - Merkley
Nook - Dauphin - Samuelsson

Yeah I don't mind the look of that... I might like Rieder on that 3rd line more than Perlini but I've yet to see what he's really capable of yet....and there's no Crouse there. I would probably keep it like I had it before and just switch Crouse and Keller to different wings. I'm really hoping that we'll soon see the Triple D line...Domi - Dvorak - Duclair :popcorn: Who knows though...it's fun to speculate but there are soooo many different potential options and that's without even adding anyone else to the group. Should be an interesting process to watch unfold

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Crap I knew I forgot someone - it was Crouse! At this point having a lot of LW depth is fine to have, but eventually we'll need to address the logjam to shore up other organizational weaknesses.

I like the Triple D line on paper too but despite the chemistry I think that line is a little too small.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
2 years from now: assuming McGinn gets taken in expansion draft and Perlini is still on the farm

Domi/Dvorak/Duclair
Keller/Strome/Fischer
Crouse/Hanzal/Doan
Martinook/Richardson/Samuelsson

or even assuming again that McGinn is taken in expansion, we don't resign Richardson and Martinook can move to center (MacInnis I believe is 3 years away)
Domi/Dvorak/Duclair
Keller/Strome/Fischer
Crouse/Hanzal/Doan
Perlini/Martinook/Samuelsson

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
2 years from now: assuming McGinn gets taken in expansion draft and Perlini is still on the farm

Domi/Dvorak/Duclair
Keller/Strome/Fischer
Crouse/Hanzal/Doan
Martinook/Richardson/Samuelsson

or even assuming again that McGinn is taken in expansion, we don't resign Richardson and Martinook can move to center (MacInnis I believe is 3 years away)
Domi/Dvorak/Duclair
Keller/Strome/Fischer
Crouse/Hanzal/Doan
Perlini/Martinook/Samuelsson

I don't think Doan will be around in two years.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I don't think Doan will be around in two years.

Yeah those lines actually look pretty good with either Merkley or Rieder substituted for Doan...I would love to keep Hanzal around and have him in a 3rd line role a year or two from now, I just don't see it happening though unless he takes a pretty sizable pay-cut on his next deal...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00