Player Discussion Chabot's realistic potential in 2018-2019

Calvin123

Sep 18, 2006
EK was the most individually skilled player the Senators have had in their history, and at his peak was in the top 3 most skilled players in the NHL. However he was not necessarily the best at using his team mates to best advantage, and I think this was reflected on the power play. I think having Chabot on the point on the PP, and using EK lower down (in a role more typically filled by a forward) to make the PP more dynamic could have been an incredibly effective PP.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I think Spezza was the most individually skilled , by a huge margin. Chabot has a different skillset than Karlsson, notably the ability to be a true all around defenceman.

Reactions: hockey20000

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
EK was the most individually skilled player the Senators have had in their history, and at his peak was in the top 3 most skilled players in the NHL. However he was not necessarily the best at using his team mates to best advantage, and I think this was reflected on the power play. I think having Chabot on the point on the PP, and using EK lower down (in a role more typically filled by a forward) to make the PP more dynamic could have been an incredibly effective PP.

I think Karlsson was just better suited to even strength. It was his dominance at ES that made his power play abilities look bland.

I don't agree with Karlsson not being able to maximize his teammates. He was arguably the best passer in the league and facilitates the break out like no other.

And besides what Senator has ever done more with less? He was taking basement teams into the playoffs and almost won a cup with it.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I seem to recall us having a great PP back when Karlsson was paired with Gonchar. Having Alfie and Spezza on the PP didn't hurt either, of course. But it was nice having another stick-handling D on the point that Karlsson could pass to. I don't think he had one ever since Gonchar left.

Imagine Karlsson and Chabot playing together on the PP... *sigh*

Reactions: stempniaksen

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I seem to recall us having a great PP back when Karlsson was paired with Gonchar. Having Alfie and Spezza on the PP didn't hurt either, of course. But it was nice having another stick-handling D on the point that Karlsson could pass to. I don't think he had one ever since Gonchar left.

Imagine Karlsson and Chabot playing together on the PP... *sigh*

Just being able to throw out Chabot right after Karlsson would have been so incredible.

Together they would have easily been the best 1-2 defensive punch in the league. :'(

Two absolute minute munching superstars.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Karlsson is an excellent player who made every single player around him better

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
Werenski just signed, 3 yrs at $5 million per. May have set the price for Chabot for no UFA years.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Werenski just signed, 3 yrs at $5 million per. May have set the price for Chabot for no UFA years.
If Chabot wants to sign a bridge, and doesn't have a down year, it will be more than Werenski's if only by a million or two.

If he want's longer term, it will be significantly higher.

I would imagine that Werenski's QO will be 8-9ish, which he will have the ability at the end of the contract to sign a 1 year arbitration deal at 8-9 million minimum, straight to free agency like Stone if he so pleases.

Edit: 7 million QO, not bad

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Chabot is gonna have a killer year.

Tell you one thing for sure, he will not have Karlsson's crappy +-
EK is a career -25 (5 seasons as a plus, 4 seasons as a minus. +6 last year. -30 in his 19 year old rookie season)

Chabot thus far, on 2 terrible Sens teams, is a -26. (-12 last year)

I'm not sure Chabot will finish in the plus column this year

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Are we gong to welcome this kind of bridge with Chabot?

I'd say yes if they want to push the pebble down the road on the big buck contract.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I'd have Spezza as the 2nd most skilled player we have had behind Karlsson, not to be confused with 2nd best.

Shot, stick handling, vision and passing were off the charts.

Heatley had a cannon and could score goals.

Hossa had sublime skill, skating and size

Havlat had stick handling and speed to go with it

Alfie had everything above average, with the mentality and work ethic of a dog which made all his attributes more than the sum of their parts

I was too young to watch Yashin and be able to appreciate his game

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
As far as skill goes I'd have EK first.

EK
Kovalev
Hossa
Spezza
Havlat
Yashin

That's nothing to do with performance just pure skills.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think Chabot could win a Norris Trophy at some point in his career.

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
65 points and I would be happy. and hopfully he signs a 5 year extension by end of season. can't see him signing for 7 or 8 .. most star players just won't do it anymore.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Lol.

Isn't even second.

Karlsson

Havlat
Yashin
Spezza/Hossa

Lol?

Gee, the post below you wasn't far off. Havlat was nice, but overrated on your board. No one had Spezza vision, not even Karlsson. In fairness, it is a heck of a lot easier to make plays from the back than it is as a center as well.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Yashin isn't getting enough love for his skill, imo. He' (still) the only Hart nominee in team history, you don't get to that level without being supremely talented.

1. Erik Karlsson
2a. Alexei Yashin
2b. Jason Spezza
---- (Big gap) ----
3a. Martin Havlat
3b. Marian Hossa

Alfie was unbelievable, but I'm not sure I ever even saw him as the most talented player on the team at any given time. Guy just had an unbelievable drive that took his (great not elite) talents to another level.

Kovalev was also insanely talented in his prime, but I have a hard time ranking him since that's not the version we got to see in Ottawa.

I'm too young to have really seen them in their prime, but guys like Straka and Demitra went on to unbelievable careers outside of Ottawa. I wonder what they showed in a Sens uniform (obviously nowhere near as much since they were both shipped off).

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yashin isn't getting enough love for his skill, imo. He' (still) the only Hart nominee in team history, you don't get to that level without being supremely talented.

1. Erik Karlsson
2a. Alexei Yashin
2b. Jason Spezza
---- (Big gap) ----
3a. Martin Havlat
3b. Marian Hossa

Alfie was unbelievable, but I'm not sure I ever even saw him as the most talented player on the team at any given time. Guy just had an unbelievable drive that took his (great not elite) talents to another level.

Kovalev was also insanely talented in his prime, but I have a hard time ranking him since that's not the version we got to see in Ottawa.

I'm too young to have really seen them in their prime, but guys like Straka and Demitra went on to unbelievable careers outside of Ottawa. I wonder what they showed in a Sens uniform (obviously nowhere near as much since they were both shipped off).
I agree Spezza and Yashin were pretty close .. I might give Spezza the nod because I think he could be more of a points machine.. Yashin could drive and could shoot and score and had more power to his game. He did seem like a bit of a wuss in the playoffs vs Corson though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad