Player Discussion Chabot's realistic potential in 2018-2019

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
With all the negativity, I think most of us can agree that Thomas Chabot should be a real bright spot for the Sens going forward. His QB play on the PP last year was encouraging too.

Regardless of what happens with Karl (even though that can determine a lot for TC's ice time etc), what's his realistic potential and impact next year?

I'll go with similar to Werenski's rookie season while having good zone exit stats and a few dzone lapses. Boucher will learn to trust Hotsam Batcho (and other rookies) more and praise his Tomahawk Steak eating capabilities.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neiler

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Yes.

35 points playing 18-20 mins a night. Gets scratched 2 or 3 times.

Watching that highlight vid, it seems like Brassard had a hand in so much of it. Just thought that was interesting.

Last edited:

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Assuming Karlsson is gone, there will be a lot of pressure on Chabot as we don’t have much else back there. Getting a Sergachev or Theodore in a Karlsson trade would help him and take some pressure off him.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
With all the negativity, I think most of us can agree that Thomas Chabot should be a real bright spot for the Sens going forward. His QB play on the PP last year was encouraging too.

Regardless of what happens with Karl (even though that can determine a lot for TC's ice time etc), what's his realistic potential and impact next year?

I'll go with similar to Werenski's rookie season while having good zone exit stats and a few dzone lapses. Boucher will learn to trust Hotsam Batcho (and other rookies) more and praise his Tomahawk Steak eating capabilities.

I think the defence side might hold him at a number 3 rather than a 1 or 2
Which would be totally fine with Karl staying as I’m guessing(hoping) will happen.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Young defenseman + (likely) loss of our top defenseman + (likely) sophomore slump.

I wouldn't be surprised if he has a rough time of it next season. That's not to say he isn't a blue chipper or anything, but we all know that development isn't linear. It's already insanely difficult to be a defenseman in the NHL the way things are played today. Not having some veteran help and insulation on the team is going to hurt badly. I do believe he will work his way through it, but it's going to be a bumpy ride.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
If Karlsson is gone, I think it's going to really stunt Chabot's development. That trade will not only hurt the franchise now, but it'll expose players to responsibilities they aren't ready for, so it's hard to gauge players like Chabot's potential going forward imo.

I don't think so tbh. We saw what he can do with an underwhelming Team Canada at the WJHC when he was "the go to guy". Might take him another 1-2 seasons but I think at some point he can be a 25+ mins a night guy, puck moving D with 45-55 point potential. Obviously it would be better if Karlsson is around and Chabot has the 2nd PP unit all to himself but lets wait and see.

A player of Chabot's skill level wont be stunted ala Ceci, he's too good for that.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I think unlocking his potential depends on how Boucher uses him - right or left D. If he uses him as the LD and demands he plays the enforcer on his pair, he could potentially ruin Chabot for years. If he uses him as an RD to fit his system, he will have him on his off side and off hand. If he changes his system when Chabot is on the ice from RD to LD as the creative puck mover he'll thrive and it will confuse opponents who can just trap Boucher's one trick pony system.

Problem is can Boucher get his own players to understand the difference when Chabot is deployed as to how the system is modified. Does he have that level of communication ability to generate that level of awareness in his players.

I do not see him paired with Karlsson, and I'd prefer to see him with someone other than Ceci (giveaways). If Ceci's arbitration gives him Dumba money, I suspect he will be dealt. Either way, that would pressure the D into a long year with something like:

RD centric Wolanin - Karlsson
LD centric Chabot - Jaros (Ceci if signed)
RD centric Harpur - Wideman
Enforcer Borowiecki

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Chabot looked fantastic as part of the PP. I am very very bullish on his potential production, especially if Karlsson is traded and Chabot becomes our top PP QB.

In a season where Chabot was used in a conservative role early on, and only played 63 games, he had 25 points. 8 of those were powerplay points, 17 even strength. If used in a major role next season, I could see 50+ points over 82 games. His shot and vision lead me to believe he could possibly be a 20+ goal 60+ point d-man in a career year.

People forget, Chabot is a blue chipper. This is a guy who was up there with Keller and Puljujarvi being heralded as a top NHL affiliated prospect. I would attribute this loss status both to the kind of year the Senators had where nothing went right and our team couldn't buy a win, and also to Guy Boucher's hesitation to use Chabot to the full extent of his current ability.

If Boucher buys into the apparent "don't be afraid to play anybody under 42" mantra that Dorion claims the team has pushed, maybe as soon as next season I'd expect Chabot to cement himself as one of the best young defenders in the NHL.

Reactions: Deku

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
I think he's gonna have a big year with Boucher finally trusting him. Hopefully he isn't stuck with Ceci all year. Wideman could be a good partner if Karlsson is gone.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yes.

35 points playing 18-20 mins a night. Gets scratched 2 or 3 times.

Watching that highlight vid, it seems like Brassard had a hand in so much of it. Just thought that was interesting.
Trying to decide between the Norris, the Hart or the Art Ross

So, to get the Norris, the team will have to make the playoffs, Chabot will have to play on the PP, and probably Karlsson will have to be traded.

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
Honestly? 45 points atleast if he's healthy. Werenski had a down year because of some nagging injuries otherwise he wouldn't have sophomore slumped and I don't think Chabot will sophomore slump either. Remember he put up solid rooki3 production on a terrible team so even if theyre awful he should still improve with time. Don't think it's unrealistic at all to see 45+ out of him. He's too good of a skater/puck mover. His defense will depend on his partner. If he's with Ceci he's going to be working double duty making up for that clowns mistakes.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
I have no expectations for anything this year honestly. I'd guess Chabot will have a similar season to this year gone by.

1,000 likes to the OP for making an actual positive, discussion worthy thread.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
If Karlsson is traded before the season starts I'd like to see us sign a cheap, veteran defenseman to help shelter Chabot if need be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->