Chabot vs Hughes

Your pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Chabot 2nd season: 55 points in 70 games on Ottawa.

Go away with that selective bullshit.

Quinn Hughes career: 61 points in 78 games
Points/game over 82gm season: 64

Tom chabot career: 121 points in 208 games
Points/game over 82gm season: 48

I don't need to be selective. And Quinn has only played a rookie season, so it should be expected that # would improve.

Reactions: Xanlet

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I've never been quite as high on Hughes as some others. His skating, puck handling and passing are all incredible, but he seems to lack that extra level IQ that you'll see from someone like Karlsson to know exactly when to hold onto the puck, when to pass, when to shoot, etc. He's very good, but I'm not sure if he's going to be the type to put up next-level ES points to put him up with the very best defensemen in the league given he'll likely always have some defensive issues. Defensively, he isn't actually as bad as he has been recently, but he still has positioning problems and losing his man defensively as well as handling bigger forwards. He's a really good defensemen, but I don't think he'll ever be the guy you want in all situations. I think Chabot's improving all around game makes up for any offensive advantage.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Quinn Hughes career: 61 points in 78 games
Points/game over 82gm season: 64

Tom chabot career: 121 points in 208 games
Points/game over 82gm season: 48

I don't need to be selective. And Quinn has only played a rookie season, so it should be expected that # would improve.
that's better

now let's have an earnest discussion about the impact that surrounding players can have on a player's production (most notable on a powerplay), their most common linemates, and the negative impact that playing too many minutes can have on player performance

like i'd probably go hughes over chabot too but it's extremely close

Reactions: Xspyrit

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Id say the argument against hughes rests on track record.

Chabots offensive production is obviously not as impressive as hughes. Some will point to his defense but statisticallyvhe is nothing special defensively. Hes on a bad team and relative to that team his CORSI, xGA, GA/60, are all rather neutral. In other words he 8snt making a bad team even worse defensively (like his predecessor was) but isnt really making them better either. At least defensively. His zone starts are also pretty neutral unlike his predecessor, so id say his deployment and effectiveness is rather neutral. 40 points on that team is good. So offensively he is good.

Hughes obviously is significantly better offensively, assuming last year is not just a fluke. Defensively his stats are surpsingly not bad. Corsi and shots against significantly bettter than team average (better team as well), although GA and xGA rather neutral. However this also comes with much easier deployment.

Im not a huge advanced stats guy, but without using stats and advanced stats we will just end up with fools saying they know better and everyone else must not watch.

So, at least statistically we have hughes which seems better offensively, and pretty average defensively (which surprised me), and chabot which is good but not as good as hughes offensively, and pretty similar defensively.

The questions really are about Hughes... 1. How much of his better production is boosted by being on a better team? 2. How much does his deployment factor in his ability to match chabots defensive effectiveness. And 3. Its only 1 season. What can we expect going forward?

Reactions: Grantham

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Both weren't extremely high picks
Both have quite high relative value relative to their draft spot.
Chabot coming from the loaded 2015 class chosen 18th and would, Im guessing go 7th or 8th.
Hughes chosen 7th would probably go 5 maybe?????

Neither play every situation, as neither kill penalties but play a boat load 5v5 and the PP. Im kind of shocked at Chabot's 5v5 minutes from last season.
Take your pick:
But this thread already has clowns saying "Not close" :skeptic:
chabot-hughes.png

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
that's better

now let's have an earnest discussion about the impact that surrounding players can have on a player's production (most notable on a powerplay), their most common linemates, and the negative impact that playing too many minutes can have on player performance

like i'd probably go hughes over chabot too but it's extremely close

I never said it wasn't close. I said Chabot is probably gonna be better defensively but I'd take hughes because IN MY OPINION he is so incredibly dynamic that he's the guy (not petterson or boeser or jt miller) who is going to be running that powerplay for years to come, and I believe he will have an incredible impact on the game. Never said Chabot was bad. Different strengths, but I'd take hughes. I'd probably take makar and heiskanen over hughes though. Would take chabot over a lot of the other young dmen in the league.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Both weren't extremely high picks
Both have quite high relative value relative to their draft spot.
Chabot coming from the loaded 2015 class chosen 18th and would, Im guessing go 7th or 8th.
Hughes chosen 7th would probably go 5 maybe?????

Neither play every situation, as neither kill penalties but play a boat load 5v5 and the PP. Im kind of shocked at Chabot's 5v5 minutes from last season.
Take your pick:
But this thread already has clowns saying "Not close" :skeptic:
chabot-hughes.png
I was rather surpsied to see some pretty complimentary defensive stats for hughes, like you show a small sample of here.

But charts like this require much more context. Lets not pretend this comes close tobtelling the whole story.

GM Armchair

Dec 16, 2019
It’s funny how the NHL has turned into a stats mean everything type of sport. Good thing Shea weber got into the league when he did or else he would be trash.

Reactions: lawrence

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
I never said it wasn't close. I said Chabot is probably gonna be better defensively but I'd take hughes because IN MY OPINION he is so incredibly dynamic that he's the guy (not petterson or boeser or jt miller) who is going to be running that powerplay for years to come, and I believe he will have an incredible impact on the game. Never said Chabot was bad. Different strengths, but I'd take hughes. I'd probably take makar and heiskanen over hughes though. Would take chabot over a lot of the other young dmen in the league.
yeah that's fair

classic message boards thing where i latch on to one post you make and it goes from there without actually knowing your full opinion

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
A tale of two seasons for these guys so far this year.

Chabot: 63.05 xGF% - 9th in the league for defensemen over 50 minutes

Hughes: 36.19 xGF% - 95th (6th worst in the league)

Reactions: Golden_Jet

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Chabot plays more 5v5 minutes but they both get insane amounts of PP time (Hughes scores literally twice as much per 60 though) and neither of them PK (last season anyway).

Obviously playing that much regularly—for any defenseman—is super-impressive. Not sure Chabot’s competition is as tough as people are saying though. Like...not even close to what guys like Trouba and Brodin have to deal with on a regular basis.

Hughes plays a lot with Vancouver’s best players like Pettersson. Who do you think the other teams are matching-up against them? Their 4th line? :laugh:

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
I was rather surpsied to see some pretty complimentary defensive stats for hughes, like you show a small sample of here.

But charts like this require much more context. Lets not pretend this comes close tobtelling the whole story.

Those are from last season.
hence the minutes
And ill take those numbers over a 5 game sample and some clips on twitter like some clowns in this thread.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Chabot plays more 5v5 minutes but they both get insane amounts of PP time (Hughes scores literally twice as much per 60 though) and neither of them PK (last season anyway).

Obviously playing that much regularly—for any defenseman—is super-impressive. Not sure Chabot’s competition is as tough as people are saying though. Like...not even close to what guys like Trouba and Brodin have to deal with on a regular basis.

Hughes plays a lot with Vancouver’s best players like Pettersson. Who do you think the other teams are matching-up against them? Their 4th line? :laugh:

Hughes and Pettersson had an 87.7% offensive zone start percentage together. I think that kind of nullifies a lot of the difficulty in facing second lines(Horvat's line played the toughest comp).

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles

Well, you've sold me. This one Twitter clip says everything you ever need to know about Quinn Hughes.

I really don't know why I expected intelligent responses in this thread but I guess that's on me. HFBoards gonna HFBoards. "Tomus Chubut and itz not evenz cloze, derp, derp..."

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Hughes and Pettersson had an 87.7% offensive zone start percentage together. I think that kind of nullifies a lot of the difficulty in facing second lines(Horvat's line played the toughest comp).
If you add up the actual amount of Off./Neu./Def./On the Fly zone starts, and then factor in that an Off. Zone Start ≠ 100% possession/goals created, I think it’s very far from nullifying anything.

Or if you subtract his Def. Zone Faceoffs from Off. Zone faceoffs, per 68 games, it’s 3 faceoffs, and faceoffs are obviously ~50%.

Last edited:

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
I said Quinn Hughes is a 20 goal, 60 point defenseman and Vancouver fans are up in arms. I don’t think I have an axe to grind with the player. He’s above average. I think I have an issue with Canuck fans who want to compare him to generational players.
Bro did Hughes hurt you are something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->