News Article: Chabot sees bright future for Senators

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Defenseman impressed with progress in Ottawa, which last made playoffs in 2017

Chabot sees bright future for Senators

"When you look at the guys that were on the team this year, everybody's getting a year older, everybody's got one more year of experience, so I think yes, definitely we want to take a step next year," the 23-year-old defenseman said Thursday. "When you look at the guys that were down in [Belleville of the American Hockey League], some of those guys are going to want to make the jump and have an impact on our team next year. So definitely I am thinking that we will be a stronger team, a better team next year, and I think everybody in the locker room agrees on that and everybody wants to do it and make it happen."

Reactions: aragorn

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017

"When you look at the guys that were on the team this year, everybody's getting a year older, everybody's got one more year of experience, so I think yes, definitely we want to take a step next year," the 23-year-old defenseman said Thursday. "When you look at the guys that were down in [Belleville of the American Hockey League], some of those guys are going to want to make the jump and have an impact on our team next year. So definitely I am thinking that we will be a stronger team, a better team next year, and I think everybody in the locker room agrees on that and everybody wants to do it and make it happen."
I, for one, am shocked to see Chabot take such a positive stance for public consumption.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Good to hear from the most important player in the organization. Glad he is staying positive, its been a pretty rough ride since he arrived. He went through the same thing on a smaller scale in Saint John. The future does certainly look bright, hopefully even brighter after the draft.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Good to hear from the most important player in the organization now that he has extended. Glad he is staying positive, its been a pretty rough ride since he arrived. He went through the same thing on a smaller scale in Saint John. The future does certainly look bright, hopefully even brighter after the draft.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
He's a positive kind of guy and I think this is genuine. The potential for this franchise is huge. At some point though ownership will have to step up. That's where things get murky.

Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I, for one, am shocked to see Chabot take such a positive stance for public consumption.
He just signed a huge contract with the team that made him a millionaire, I think you will see him do a lot more for the organization, it's his job & probably in his contract to do so. Same for Tkachuk & a number of the other guys including whoever they get in the first rd they will be marketing the crap out of them too. These players work for this org & part of their job is marketing the team to sell tickets, it's to be expected IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Dude has 8 million reasons to toot the company horn.

He isn't going to rock the boat before that new contract even comes into effect. "Good ole Canadian boys" don't do that sort of thing in hockey.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Of course... anybody who knows a bit about prospects can see that. The under-25 group in the organization is already super stacked at the moment and if the weakness being at the top and not enough true superstars, that could be fixed in just one draft with 2 picks in the top-6 and another 1st rounder, as well as 4 more 2nd rounders... That's 7 high chances in the top of a really good draft class, with 2 of those picks almost garanteed to pay.

The Sens already had a strong U-25 group in the 2017 summer after the cup run (Chabot, Batherson, Brown, White, Wolanin, Formenton, Hogberg, Chlapik, Jaros, Paul, Lajoie, Daccord, even Bowers who was used as a trading chip)

Things totally fell apart the next season and they (Melnyk) decided to rebuild completely. I can't repeat it enough but via the major firesale of proven stars and vets, the Sens basically added 9 prospects on top of their pool. Some of them are high quality :

Norris, Brannstrom, JBD, Balcers, Thomson, Abramov, Gustvasson, Davidsson, Tychonick

Plus other guys like Duclair (24 y/o), Tierney, DeMelo, Connor Brown, Zaitsev, Nilsson... and picks, tons of picks.

Also, let's not forget they got Tkachuk as the result of the 1st tanking season.

So unless they totally screw up in the upcoming draft, yes the future is very bright (until Melnyk destroys everything or sells)

Oct 10, 2010
I don't see it -- To have a great future, you need great ownership bottom line.

As of now we only have one very good player locked up long-term and very limited money to spend eventually.

Hopefully Melnyk's ways do indeed change and he spends way more money to keep Brady and Laf + others around for may years of cup runs.

Reactions: NB613

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
Of course... anybody who knows a bit about prospects can see that. The under-25 group in the organization is already super stacked at the moment and if the weakness being at the top and not enough true superstars, that could be fixed in just one draft with 2 picks in the top-6 and another 1st rounder, as well as 4 more 2nd rounders... That's 7 high chances in the top of a really good draft class, with 2 of those picks almost garanteed to pay.

The Sens already had a strong U-25 group in the 2017 summer after the cup run (Chabot, Batherson, Brown, White, Wolanin, Formenton, Hogberg, Chlapik, Jaros, Paul, Lajoie, Daccord, even Bowers who was used as a trading chip)

Things totally fell apart the next season and they (Melnyk) decided to rebuild completely. I can't repeat it enough but via the major firesale of proven stars and vets, the Sens basically added 9 prospects on top of their pool. Some of them are high quality :

Norris, Brannstrom, JBD, Balcers, Thomson, Abramov, Gustvasson, Davidsson, Tychonick

Plus other guys like Duclair (24 y/o), Tierney, DeMelo, Connor Brown, Zaitsev, Nilsson... and picks, tons of picks.

Also, let's not forget they got Tkachuk as the result of the 1st tanking season.

So unless they totally screw up in the upcoming draft, yes the future is very bright (until Melnyk destroys everything or sells)

I'm not sure I agree with your definition of "high quality". At this point, even Batherson isn't a surefire first liner, Balcers, Davidsson, and Abramov are likely to be bottom 6 players, and possibly not even consistent NHL players. Tychonick was a healthy scratch as a college sophomore.

I'm excited about the youth of the team, and things are definitely going to be looking up after this draft, but we're in more of a quantity over quality position.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I don't see it -- To have a great future, you need great ownership bottom line.

As of now we only have one very good player locked up long-term and very limited money to spend eventually.

Hopefully Melnyk's ways do indeed change and he spends way more money to keep Brady and Laf + others around for may years of cup runs.
Yup. Gonna be hard to build on any of this with that doofus constantly getting in the way and very little money to go around.

I just assume that one way or another, he will ruin it before it really goes anywhere, so not gonna buy in like in the past.

Best of luck to you Mr. Chabot.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I'm not sure I agree with your definition of "high quality". At this point, even Batherson isn't a surefire first liner, Balcers, Davidsson, and Abramov are likely to be bottom 6 players, and possibly not even consistent NHL players. Tychonick was a healthy scratch as a college sophomore.

I'm excited about the youth of the team, and things are definitely going to be looking up after this draft, but we're in more of a quantity over quality position.

Maybe the problem is that you completely misread what I said? Which is weird since you highlighted the right part where I specifically said "SOME OF THEM"...

So as we can see with that quote, I was ONLY talking about the prospects acquired through the firesale, not Batherson. I did NOT say that Davidsson, Abramov and even Balcers were high quality (although Balcers and Abramov still have intriguing potential), and certainly not Tychonick who is the worse of the 9 (I hinted at that by putting him LAST on the list I have made?)

You have the right to think that Norris, Brannstrom and JBD are not that good but as of now, I would say that they are high quality yes. Top-5 prospects on almost every NHL team.

Any argument as to why they would not be? They are always ranked quite high on prospects rankings, and have all progressed quite a lot since being drafted (all in the 1st round). Norris was a beast and offensive catalyst in the AHL as a rookie, JBD was great in college and on Team Canada and Brannstrom was already really good at the AHL level before he turned 20 y/o. Maybe he didn't burn the NHL right away, but he has shown he can already play at that level and not look out of place at all. I see him ending up somewhere between Tobias Enstrom and Torey Krug.

Balcers, Thomson, Abramov, Gustvasson might not be as high quality but it's not like they are nobodies as well. Thomson being a 1st rounder and relied on as a 19 y/o on his national team and on a pro finland team. Some could argue he is as much quality or close to JBD. Gustvasson hasn't dominated in the pro ranks yet but he has some pedigree and what it takes to succeed. But goalies are such a crapshoot that it's still impossible to say either way.

And like I said, it's not like Balcers and Abramov are just average prospects. They would be top prospects on several teams.

Really curious to see what kind of arguments you'd have on this.

Note : of course no prospect is a "surefire first liner", everyone knows that and there is very few exceptions and they are usually drafted in the top-3.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Balcers, Abramov and Davidsson arent NHL ers if they are bottom 6 players. I personally dont see a long term future in the NHL for any of them. Maybe Balcers. Tychonik also likely isnt going to be an NHL player. Kevin Bahl would have been a great pick instead. Oh well the sens have lots of young players and prospects coming there are only so many spots. Whats good about having these players to go along with the rest of the prospects is competition breeds success. The best players will win the spots and earn the right to play.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
Maybe the problem is that you completely misread what I said? Which is weird since you highlighted the right part where I specifically said "SOME OF THEM"...

So as we can see with that quote, I was ONLY talking about the prospects acquired through the firesale, not Batherson. I did NOT say that Davidsson, Abramov and even Balcers were high quality (although Balcers and Abramov still have intriguing potential), and certainly not Tychonick who is the worse of the 9 (I hinted at that by putting him LAST on the list I have made?)

You have the right to think that Norris, Brannstrom and JBD are not that good but as of now, I would say that they are high quality yes. Top-5 prospects on almost every NHL team.

Any argument as to why they would not be? They are always ranked quite high on prospects rankings, and have all progressed quite a lot since being drafted (all in the 1st round). Norris was a beast and offensive catalyst in the AHL as a rookie, JBD was great in college and on Team Canada and Brannstrom was already really good at the AHL level before he turned 20 y/o. Maybe he didn't burn the NHL right away, but he has shown he can already play at that level and not look out of place at all. I see him ending up somewhere between Tobias Enstrom and Torey Krug.

Balcers, Thomson, Abramov, Gustvasson might not be as high quality but it's not like they are nobodies as well. Thomson being a 1st rounder and relied on as a 19 y/o on his national team and on a pro finland team. Some could argue he is as much quality or close to JBD. Gustvasson hasn't dominated in the pro ranks yet but he has some pedigree and what it takes to succeed. But goalies are such a crapshoot that it's still impossible to say either way.

And like I said, it's not like Balcers and Abramov are just average prospects. They would be top prospects on several teams.

Really curious to see what kind of arguments you'd have on this.

Note : of course no prospect is a "surefire first liner", everyone knows that and there is very few exceptions and they are usually drafted in the top-3.

Hey man, I didn't make a joke about your mom. Simmer down :laugh:

I don't think you were particularly clear with what you were attempting to say. If you feel as though Batherson, Norris, Brannstrom, Thomson, and JBD are "high quality prospects", then I think most people would agree with you, including myself.

I don't think Rudolfs Balcers or Vitaly Abramov are top prospects on any NHL team, although it depends on how you define "top prospects". I think both players are fringe NHL players.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Hey man, I didn't make a joke about your mom. Simmer down :laugh:

I don't think you were particularly clear with what you were attempting to say. If you feel as though Batherson, Norris, Brannstrom, Thomson, and JBD are "high quality prospects", then I think most people would agree with you, including myself.

I don't think Rudolfs Balcers or Vitaly Abramov are top prospects on any NHL team, although it depends on how you define "top prospects". I think both players are fringe NHL players.

Simmer down what? Do I look pissed or anything? Not at all, you quoted my post, I answered it and rectified the flaws in your post, nothing else. You don't have to make it emo, really don't care about mom jokes or any other futility.

Maybe you say that because I tried to be as specific as possible? But it seems that it wasn't enough because you are naming Batherson again. It was clear from the start that he was not in that part of the discussion related to the "high quality" comment

So not sure where I was not "particularly clear" : "some of them are high quality" looks pretty clear to me. You might be the only one who understood wrongly and talked about Batherson (who was not in discussion) and then Balcers, Davidsson, Abramov and Tychonick as if I implied that they were high quality but I NEVER DID (no idea why you continue to talk as if I did)

If I'm using caps or highlighting words, it's not because I am pissed, it's an attempt to help you see it more clear. If it's still not clear, I suggest you read the conversation right from the start again. If not, then I have no idea what could be said, but we can just agree to disagree and move on.

And yes Balcers and Abramov would be top prospects on many teams. Top prospect doesn't mean the elite blue chip prospect, it simply means among the 5-10 best. Balcers was ranked 2nd on the Sharks pool when we acquired him. No idea about Abramov but he just almost went PPG in his sophomore AHL season. I am not as high on him as other prospects in the organization but yes some teams would have him in their top-10.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
Simmer down what? Do I look pissed or anything? Not at all, you quoted my post, I answered it and rectified the flaws in your post, nothing else. You don't have to make it emo, really don't care about mom jokes or any other futility.

Maybe you say that because I tried to be as specific as possible? But it seems that it wasn't enough because you are naming Batherson again. It was clear from the start that he was not in that part of the discussion related to the "high quality" comment

So not sure where I was not "particularly clear" : "some of them are high quality" looks pretty clear to me. You might be the only one who understood wrongly and talked about Batherson (who was not in discussion) and then Balcers, Davidsson, Abramov and Tychonick as if I implied that they were high quality but I NEVER DID (no idea why you continue to talk as if I did)

If I'm using caps or highlighting words, it's not because I am pissed, it's an attempt to help you see it more clear. If it's still not clear, I suggest you read the conversation right from the start again. If not, then I have no idea what could be said, but we can just agree to disagree and move on.

And yes Balcers and Abramov would be top prospects on many teams. Top prospect doesn't mean the elite blue chip prospect, it simply means among the 5-10 best. Balcers was ranked 2nd on the Sharks pool when we acquired him. No idea about Abramov but he just almost went PPG in his sophomore AHL season. I am not as high on him as other prospects in the organization but yes some teams would have him in their top-10.

The "simmer down" still applies :laugh:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The "simmer down" still applies :laugh:

You could have told me I was going to waste my time talking to a wall :laugh:

All I did was politely and patiently explaining what you misread and then continue the hockey discussion but somehow I need to "simmer down" because you didn't make a joke about my mom that died before you probably had any pubic hair?

lol I see you're as bad as a psy than you are at reading comprehension

:popcorn:

Last edited:

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad