Player Discussion Chabot ready?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
didn't they just hire Chabot's old coach this offseason and move Sterling to a scouting position?

Yes, they did, and he's an assistant coach in Belleville, and that was part of the development plan for Chabot, in the AHL ............ I pointed this out numerous times this past summer.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Then why did the Senators not make room for him on their roster at the beginning of the season?

Why would they send him down to the AHL, and not trade away a D Man to make room for him?

Sens management (and myself, I supported their decisions) appears to have been wrong about a lot of things, so I don't think them handing or not handing him the roster spot should be any kind of evidence of being right or wrong at this point.

If anything, it's plain as day at this point that their error in judgement was thinking that Oduya had anything left in the tank beyond bottom pairing filler and he's a big reason Chabot didn't have an in to the lineup.

I supported the decision to send him down to start the year, but at the time I didn't know he would still be better than almost everyone on this train wreck we call our defense.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Then why did the Senators not make room for him on their roster at the beginning of the season?

Why would they send him down to the AHL, and not trade away a D Man to make room for him?
Why kinda freaking argument is this? Seriously. It’s the dumbest. Laziest fall back ever.

How’s this :

Why did management put together the team they did that has us in nearly last place? They know what they’re doing don’t they?!

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
For reference, here are some quotes on Chabot's play in Belleville from someone who did watch the games (eyeonthesens)

Game 3, Chabot and Jaros were called up to Ottawa.

Games 7 and 8 Chabot missed due to injury.

Here's his overall assessment of Chabot over those games:

So I'm not sure why some thought he struggled in the AHL at first. Perhaps they only watched his one bad game?

He definitely had his good moments along the way but I don't feel thats an accurate representation of his game in those opening two games in Laval. He alone was responsible for multiple odd man rushes against in each game. I wouldn't of called those performances anything close to strong. He may have craved up the opposition at times but he was getting raved up too and the puck was usually only going in one net.

If your curious and have a little bit of time, you can always go back and watch older games on AHL live, It's about $5 CDN to purchase the replays.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yes, they did, and he's an assistant coach in Belleville, and that was part of the development plan for Chabot, in the AHL ............ I pointed this out numerous times this past summer.
Except it wasn't, believe me.

I pointed out, numerous times before it was announced, that he would be in Belleville.\

Dorion wanted Chabot in the lineup for the playoffs, but it was not allowed due to CHL/NHL agreement.

He then said in the summer, that Chabot was an NHL player right now.

Obviously, things change. Especially with Boucher at the helm, but again, I'm telling you straight up, that Boutilier being hired for Belleville was not made because of Chabot.

Last edited:

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
No, it's literally because they are yes-men who are argreeing with everything that management does.

I can only speak for myself but I try and gain some perspective and allow some time to pass when I come to opinion and before I form one I'll dig a little deeper. I'm not just going to look at lines on twitter and get upset about the order in which they are posted, I'd rather actually observe the usage before I get upset. If that makes me a yes-man, than so be it. Definitely haven't agreed with everything that has been done, even in the case of Chabot but your opinion has merit and mine doesn't I suppose.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I can only speak for myself but I try and gain some perspective and allow some time to pass when I come to opinion and before I form one I'll dig a little deeper. I'm not just going to look at lines on twitter and get upset about the order in which they are posted, I'd rather actually observe the usage before I get upset. If that makes me a yes-man, than so be it. Definitely haven't agreed with everything that has been done, even in the case of Chabot but your opinion has merit and mine doesn't I suppose.
I wasn't referring to yourself, sorry for that. Shouldn't have painted everyone/anyone with the same brush.

I do think that I have a bit more info on some things with regards to Chabot, which is why I have been so vocal about him for the past 4 years. Opinion is an opinion, and yours is completely understandable. As I said, I don't agree with it, but that's life.

When I know things being stated by some are in fact wrong, I am going to call it out, which I have done. And when something I know to be false is argued, it becomes frustrating. Again, nothing you have presented.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrCraigAnderson

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He isn't going to be in the NHL this year, that was never in anyone's opinion the route he was going to take (during his draft year and after he was drafted). I'm sure his spectacular 18 year old season may have changed that, hence the enthusiasm.

I'm not sure why we would hold back on enthusiasm for him, likely to just cover bases.

It's like people would rather expect the worst with prospects. Chabot had the best draft +1 season for a D we have drafted aside from Karlsson in 10+ years. I expect him to anchor the best team in the Q, and the WJC. Head to the AHL to start the year in 2017-18, and make the jump as soon as injuries happen and he's called up, the exact same as when he was drafted.

This is from August 2016. This was the plan for him before that training camp and before his Junior season.

This completely changed in October/November 2016, and then became solidified after the WJC. He was an NHL player already.

Nobody, Sens or Saint John, expected his development curve to spike even higher than it did in his unreal 18 year old season. His season had Dorion drooling. Literally did everything in his power to get him in Ottawa at the end of the regular season and into the playoffs.

His road this season went exactly how they wanted it to when Chabot was 17/18. His play at 19 had his development plan changed. Unfortunately, it went the way they ha previously viewed him before his 19 year old season.​

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He definitely had his good moments along the way but I don't feel thats an accurate representation of his game in those opening two games in Laval. He alone was responsible for multiple odd man rushes against in each game. I wouldn't of called those performances anything close to strong. He may have craved up the opposition at times but he was getting raved up too and the puck was usually only going in one net.

If your curious and have a little bit of time, you can always go back and watch older games on AHL live, It's about $5 CDN to purchase the replays.

I suppose Levi could be misleading with his writeup, but he's not exactly known for that.

The blogger covering the Bsens at silversevensens had the following to say about Chabot after the two loses, he had him listed as a standout player for both games;

Thomas Chabot: Chabot lead Belleville in shots on goal (5) in his AHL debut. His puck movement and vision on breakouts made him clearly stand out amongst his peers. He also quarterbacked Belleville’s top power play unit and looked very comfortable doing so. A number of Belleville’s scoring chances involved Chabot.

And;

Thomas Chabot: It’s probably for the best that Chabot was recalled by Ottawa because I could write about him for days. He was outstanding in this game for the same reasons as game one. His night included 6 shots, a goal and an assist - both on the power play.

I don't doubt that he had some turnovers, and there was some adjustments needed, but he seems to have still impressed those covering the team.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I suppose Levi could be misleading with his writeup, but he's not exactly known for that.

The blogger covering the Bsens at silversevensens had the following to say about Chabot after the two loses, he had him listed as a standout player for both games;

And;

I don't doubt that he had some turnovers, and there was some adjustments needed, but he seems to have still impressed those covering the team.

Each report has only addressed one side of his game, the part everyone knew was good.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Each report has only addressed one side of his game, the part everyone knew was good.
While that's mostly true, Levi in particular has never been shy of criticizing players on the Bsens for their defensive play. No comments doesn't suggest he was bad, but rather his defensive play wasn't an issue. They way you made it seem initially was he didn't stand out and was just sort of there. Now it's starting to sound more like how people would talk about Karlsson in his first few years under MacLean, dominating offensively, but had some issues on the defensive end.

Tbh when I've read Levi's reviews of games I've watched, I've typically found him overly critical. I may end up going back and watching those games against Laval if I find the time. I only caught one of his games after returning from the groin injury where he was still clearly not 100%.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
While that's mostly true, Levi in particular has never been shy of criticizing players on the Bsens for their defensive play. No comments doesn't suggest he was bad, but rather his defensive play wasn't an issue. They way you made it seem initially was he didn't stand out and was just sort of there. Now it's starting to sound more like how people would talk about Karlsson in his first few years under MacLean, dominating offensively, but had some issues on the defensive end.

Tbh when I've read Levi's reviews of games I've watched, I've typically found him overly critical. I may end up going back and watching those games against Laval if I find the time. I only caught one of his games after returning from the groin injury where he was still clearly not 100%.

He definitely had his moments in the laval games, he did create a lot at times but id be hesitant to call it dominating. IIRC he really came on in the later half of the first game when Belleville was down and in search of a goal, and in the first half of the second game when Belleville was still in it. He was more than just out there but like i said before I wouldn't have said he was bad but I'm not sure i would have said he was good either and thats reference his game overall, not just his offense. He did some things really well but it was quite clear there were areas that need attention too, I definitely won't have called him a standout in those games, maybe the brightest spot from a Belleville perspective.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Ready or not at the start of the year may be debatable. Do we all agree he belongs in the NHL now. He is still developing, but the NHL is where he should be. I think its pretty clear. He has been arguably the best player on the ice for the Sens at least a handful of games .. and again tonight. He had a good game and was not joined by too many.

Oduya should be on the bottom pair splitting time with Claesson... If the Sens made promises about the bonuses .. let him get there and start moving on

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ready or not at the start of the year may be debatable. Do we all agree he belongs in the NHL now. He is still developing, but the NHL is where he should be. I think its pretty clear. He has been arguably the best player on the ice for the Sens at least a handful of games .. and again tonight. He had a good game and was not joined by too many.

Oduya should be on the bottom pair splitting time with Claesson... If the Sens made promises about the bonuses .. let him get there and start moving on

Why on earth would we make promises about bonuses rather than just sign him to a damn contract that doesn't have them? If we signed him to a bonus laden contract, then let him earn the bonuses, don't force feed him time till he gets there. I can't believe we'd have made promises to get him there, it just makes no sense, but then again, neither does his usage this year.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Pierre Dorion has told Thomas Chabot to "get a place to live in Ottawa".

He mentioned this on TSN1200 just minuted ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad