Player Discussion Thomas Chabot (D) Extended 8 years 8M AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
He will win a Norris one day.

The way he carries the puck with absolute confidence and grace and even laps around the opposition in the o-zone is ridiculous.

Once he flipped the puck between 2 players and just skated past them then turned, flipped it again and passed them again, it was like shinny.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I just chose the Predators because they also are in a no income tax state... Do try to follow if you are going to insta quote me.

It is a complex situation. Again, I'm not saying we shouldn't pay any bonus ever.

Tampa made like 7 million dollars and still has to pay the fedral tax. How does saving 1.3 million in taxes give them a 'rebate' that big?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
don't think hes been that good to start the season.. don't think zaitsez is really helping though put demelo back there

Reactions: SensFactor

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He's a machine, plain and simple.

Burrowsaurus said:
don't think hes been that good to start the season.. don't think zaitsez is really helping though put demelo back there

I think he's been ok.

DeMelo is really helping to balance out Boro's aggressive game though.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
One of the only reasons to actually go watch a game. Any update on his health?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I hope they did their due diligence with Chabot. If his neck is anything less than 100%, get him off the ice. You don't mess with the head, neck, or back. We want this kid in a Sens uniform for the next dozen years.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Chabot is fine, if he wasn’t he wouldn’t be on the ice. He’s always been good with keeping himself out when injured.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We don't give Chabot enough credit or appreciation. Kid is a stud. By far our best player.

Been checking out that site since seeing this, really looks like it's a bit of a ad for SportlogIQ. Previously they just did a lot of pieces on Sportsnet.

Anyways, notice that aside from those single game season highs in the tweet you posted, Chabot is also leading in puck possession per game by a wide margin

Puck-Possession-Final-1024x576.png

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Been checking out that site since seeing this, really looks like it's a bit of a ad for SportlogIQ. Previously they just did a lot of pieces on Sportsnet.

Anyways, notice that aside from those single game season highs in the tweet you posted, Chabot is also leading in puck possession per game by a wide margin

Puck-Possession-Final-1024x576.png
Mike Kelly of "ThePointHockey.com" was on tsn 1200 yesterday. He has a few articles on that site.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I said to my wife at the game on Sunday night that it is unfortunate that Chabot can't pass the puck to himself. ;-) He is so obviously our best player by a country mile. Start to put some better talent around him and his skills will become even more evident - just think of how many brilliant Chabot passes and offensive zone entries just die on the sticks of our forwards...

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Mike Kelly of "ThePointHockey.com" was on tsn 1200 yesterday. He has a few articles on that site.
Yeah i heard that one. He said he works for sportlogIQ so i imagine the site is a marketting arm of sportlogiq. If they can pump out some interesting reads though i don't really care. It does feel like they are pitching their stuff with every interview or article i read though.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Chabot is getting some unnecessary ice-time. There’s no need to wear him down in a throwaway season, DJ needs to give his head a shake.

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018
At this point I think Chabot it trying to do too much.

It happens when you are one of the few good players and you want to win. The ice time is too high, ala Karlsson, but sometimes I see Chabot make mistakes because he is pushing a little too hard. Instead of making a simple play, he's trying to force things since he can do stuff the others can't.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
DJ's job is to win games. The GM needs to give him better players, not trade DeMelo for peanuts.

That's an oversimplification at this stage of the rebuild. He's not just being evaluated on wins and losses (which is good news for him) he's also been tasked with development this year. If the team finishes with a better record than last year but every single "core" piece takes a giant step back, would it still be a successful season?

Yes, it's NHL head coaches job to win games, but DJ has found himself in a pretty unique spot this season, where he's (probably) not being held to the same standard as other coaches. He doesn't need to be running TC into the ground game after game, he needs to be doing what's best for his long-term future with the franchise. DJ is gonna get judged by where this team is at in Year 3, not the meaningless wins he can pile up in the meantime.

Reactions: DrEasy

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
That's an oversimplification at this stage of the rebuild. He's not just being evaluated on wins and losses (which is good news for him) he's also been tasked with development this year. If the team finishes with a better record than last year but every single "core" piece takes a giant step back, would it still be a successful season?

Yes, it's NHL head coaches job to win games, but DJ has found himself in a pretty unique spot this season, where he's (probably) not being held to the same standard as other coaches. He doesn't need to be running TC into the ground game after game, he needs to be doing what's best for his long-term future with the franchise. DJ is gonna get judged by where this team is at in Year 3, not the meaningless wins he can pile up in the meantime.

DJ has to think about DJ first and foremost. If he wants to keep working in the NHL and establish himself as a legitimate head coach he needs as many wins as he can get.

Maybe "job" was not the right word. How about this: new head coaches are heavily incentivised to win as many games as they can so that they keep working as HCs. Eventually he will leave Ottawa and he needs as good a track record as possible to get another HC job.

That being said, he's definitely taking it too far by playing Chabot so much. My point is more that is Dorion's "problem" because he is the manager, Dorion needs to either:

- Tell him to play Chabot less which is a big no-no in terms of etiquette
- Give DJ better players which the better option

Everybody on the bench wants to win. It isn't their job to manage the roster, that's the GM's job.

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Those statements are independent why did you say 1 not 2.

Because DJ will play Chabot even more when Chabot is our only good dman.

When we had DeMelo that made managing Chabot's TOI much easier since DeMelo essentially made any pairing he was on serviceable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad