Player Discussion Thomas Chabot (D) Extended 8 years 8M AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
As much as Roenick is an idiot, Chabot did just "get" 64 million dollars after scoring 80 points.

I am not outraged but he isn't wrong that is a lot of money. Let's not act like he took a discount.

Agreed.

$64 million guaranteed as a 22-year-old. That's a helluva lot of money. Now the kid is set for life, and can simply focus on the game and his career.

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Agreed.

$64 million guaranteed as a 22-year-old. That's a helluva lot of money. Now the kid is set for life, and can simply focus on the game and his career.

He doesn't need to focus on hockey to collect his money. He could never get out of bed again and he would still get his $64 million. UFA at 30 years of age at least gave teams a good 10+ years to evaluate a players work ethic etc. Players off their ELC are still forming their work habits. For the most part they are singles, without kid and barely legal to drink etc. Some teams will get burned.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
As much as Roenick is an idiot, Chabot did just "get" 64 million dollars after scoring 80 points.

I am not outraged but he isn't wrong that is a lot of money. Let's not act like he took a discount.

I think its a team friendly deal , so I guess I would call it a bargain. I think he chose to play hard ball the price tag would have gone up and the structure would be more in his favor. I think it says a lot about how much Chabot wanted to stay here.

Reactions: Matsens15

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I think its a team friendly deal , so I guess I would call it a bargain. I think he chose to play hard ball the price tag would have gone up and the structure would be more in his favor. I think it says a lot about how much Chabot wanted to stay here.

Yes and no. I'm not sure I'd say that 80 points is quite on the level of what some of the star players got in terms of insane bonuses.

It is very likely going to be a team friendly deal eventually but I am fine with the idea that the guaranteed massive paycheck for "just" 80 points in something we gave is exchance for Chabot not getting bonus money.

I just meant that both parties gave up something significant. I'm not a fan of the feeling that Chabot "took pity on the Sens/was taken advantage of due to how young he is". It takes two to tango and all that jazz.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Those TO contracts are what it looks like when the team bends over and lubes up.

Teams need to set a salary structure for their teams that allows them to eventually compete, and be willing to trade away players that insist on maximizing their piece of the pie at the expense of team sustained team success.

We have always had a team of players that have bought in. It doesn’t mean that you can’t get $64 million dollars for 8 years, but it does mean that you can’t get deals that will cripple the teams ability to operate.

I don’t expect players to get paid less, but I don’t expect them to get paid most of their salary before they step on the ice, and I don’t expect them to be able to hold the team hostage at the trade table.

I care about the team, not the individual guys, so if you take a me first attitude as a player, me as a fan will happily pack your bags. That doesn’t mean I hate the player, or don’t understand why they would do that for their personal lives, I get it, but I watch sports for team success, that’s as far as I care about multi million dollar players.

In the end the fans pay for it all, there is good reason to expect performance at a high level, and focus on team success over personal gain. We cheer, and pay, for championships, not contract negotiations.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Nothing wrong with him trying to help the team out like he did. They played hardball with bonuses according to Garrioch and he gave them what they wanted.

The question will be, do others follow suit with making concessions for the benefit of the organization, or do they expect market value. I'm just not sure there are enough guys willing to give team friendly deals like this, while most other teams are willing to give at least some form of bonus structure and more trade protection when eligible.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Those TO contracts are what it looks like when the team bends over and lubes up.

Teams need to set a salary structure for their teams that allows them to eventually compete, and be willing to trade away players that insist on maximizing their piece of the pie at the expense of team sustained team success.

We have always had a team of players that have bought in. It doesn’t mean that you can’t get $64 million dollars for 8 years, but it does mean that you can’t get deals that will cripple the teams ability to operate.

I don’t expect players to get paid less, but I don’t expect them to get paid most of their salary before they step on the ice, and I don’t expect them to be able to hold the team hostage at the trade table.

I care about the team, not the individual guys, so if you take a me first attitude as a player, me as a fan will happily pack your bags. That doesn’t mean I hate the player, or don’t understand why they would do that for their personal lives, I get it, but I watch sports for team success, that’s as far as I care about multi million dollar players.

In the end the fans pay for it all, there is good reason to expect performance at a high level, and focus on team success over personal gain. We cheer, and pay, for championships, not contract negotiations.

Those TO contracts are the product of the immense pressure that exists to win in that market.

You can't fault players for wanting to maximize their slice of the pie. If the CBA doesn't allow for players to get their market value without cratering their teams chances at winning then it's a failure (or a success, depending on the viewpoint ie. parity).

It's impossible for a team to "set a salary structure for their teams that allows them to eventually compete" when it would have to involve 3 stars taking significantly less than their market value. It's just not plausible. A player seeking market value salary in their respective business is not taking a "me first" approach.

In Toronto's case, the hard salary cap is either working beautifully, or failing miserably, depending on which side of the fence you sit on.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
This contract looks even more incredible after seeing other "model" franchises struggle to sign their RFAs and settling on bridge deals.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Nothing wrong with him trying to help the team out like he did. They played hardball with bonuses according to Garrioch and he gave them what they wanted.

The question will be, do others follow suit with making concessions for the benefit of the organization, or do they expect market value. I'm just not sure there are enough guys willing to give team friendly deals like this, while most other teams are willing to give at least some form of bonus structure and more trade protection when eligible.

Maybe but I will worry about that starting next year.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yes and no. I'm not sure I'd say that 80 points is quite on the level of what some of the star players got in terms of insane bonuses.

It is very likely going to be a team friendly deal eventually but I am fine with the idea that the guaranteed massive paycheck for "just" 80 points in something we gave is exchance for Chabot not getting bonus money.

I just meant that both parties gave up something significant. I'm not a fan of the feeling that Chabot "took pity on the Sens/was taken advantage of due to how young he is". It takes two to tango and all that jazz.

Agreed.

We also have to remember, he's not going to have much of a supporting cast for the next few years, and he'll be facing the top lines int he league from here on out. Going the safe route and grabbing that payday now might look pretty smart by this time next year.

And the way it's going, missing out on a signing bonus doesn't seem so significant when it looks (**knocks on wood**) like we won't see a lockout this time.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Fun fact, Craig Oster is actually Brady's uncle, so he probably represents him more. He also represents Matthew and we all know how that's going to right now :help: hopefully Brady doesn't have to go that far.

Chabot got a lot of money but he is worth it. In terms of 21 year old seasons, he's 17th all-time in terms of p/g for a defenseman. Looks at the names on that list... Orr, Coffee, Borque Macinnis, Karlsson, Potvin, Murphy, Housley, Leetch, Lindstrom and Scott Stevens.... Some of the best offensive defensemen in the history of the game. And Chabot (and Karlsson for that matter) did it at a time where goals are harder to come by...

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Point's contract with TB.

Year 1 5.25 total. 4.25 in signing bonus
Year 2 6M total. 3.5 in signing bonus

The market is being set and not just by the Maple Leafs.

The Sens can "stick to their guns", but they don't get to set the market and will either change this policy of watch talented players continue to leave.

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
Fun fact, Craig Oster is actually Brady's uncle, so he probably represents him more. He also represents Matthew and we all know how that's going to right now :help: hopefully Brady doesn't have to go that far.

Chabot got a lot of money but he is worth it. In terms of 21 year old seasons, he's 17th all-time in terms of p/g for a defenseman. Looks at the names on that list... Orr, Coffee, Borque Macinnis, Karlsson, Potvin, Murphy, Housley, Leetch, Lindstrom and Scott Stevens.... Some of the best offensive defensemen in the history of the game. And Chabot (and Karlsson for that matter) did it at a time where goals are harder to come by...

Yes but Oster or Meehan every players that is with Newport it’s alway long and hard negociation... I just hope it goes smooth with Brady..

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

I can’t think of any young D man with one good year that was rewarded like this, ever.
The sens have taken a huge risk/reward bet, it could pay off or it could be a nightmare.
This is miles from a team friendly deal. Take Toronto contracts out and look at what everyone else gets, him and his agent cashed in.
Good for them.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I can’t think of any young D man with one good year that was rewarded like this, ever.
The sens have taken a huge risk/reward bet, it could pay off or it could be a nightmare.
This is miles from a team friendly deal. Take Toronto contracts out and look at what everyone else gets, him and his agent cashed in.
Good for them.
He had the leverage to get it (not to the extent of Toronto's deals obviously), but chose not to bet on himself this year and instead signed earlier choosing the security now over forcing the issue like other high profile rfa's. That may have also been a calculated move on his part with how bad the roster is this year and the effect that may have on his season. Good on him for helping out the team as they try to set the precedent that no bonus structures will be offered. Don't see much risk here personally, he's unquestionably their best player even at such a young age. Reminds of the bargain we had Karlsson under for years.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Point's contract with TB.

Year 1 5.25 total. 4.25 in signing bonus
Year 2 6M total. 3.5 in signing bonus

The market is being set and not just by the Maple Leafs.

The Sens can "stick to their guns", but they don't get to set the market and will either change this policy of watch talented players continue to leave.

If a market is set by the outliers, the market will collapse.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
If a market is set by the outliers, the market will collapse.
The Sens are the outliers.

Tampa was too until they got a new owner who paid off the team debt and invested in a land development to increase the value of and revenue for his franchise...

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The Sens are the outliers.

Tampa was too until they got a new owner who paid off the team debt and invested in a land development to increase the value and revenue for his franchise...

Boston's highest paid player has a 7.25 aav

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

roenick implied nowadays these kids aren't working for their money bla blah.... what did roenick do in broadcasting for so long to earn that lucrative position he has now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad