Rumor: Chabot and Ottawa have discussed an extension

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
This talk about Chabot not coming back to Ottawa is completely overblown.

He is a restricted free agent. He doesn't have a choice of his destination.

Chabot will see that Ottawa has a good young core this season, and will get paid.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I'm sure they've talked, but this means nothing until chabot's agent sees a number that he likes.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Awesome. Thanks, it's tough to keep track of all these regional reporters to remember which ones are trustable.

It isn't hard. The answer is none.

Brennan is the hard hitting reporter who has covered such tough stories as the Ottawa Sun Golf Tournament and his own testicles. Garrioch is the unofficial Ottawa Senators minister of information. Trust neither.

Reactions: Skid

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
This happens in the NHL all the time. It's a ground up rebuild where Chabot, Tkachuk etc will be the stars of the team for the next decade. He's not dumb, he knows great teams can be built like this - and Melnyk is not a good owner, but if starts seeing commitments to the young players (Colin White), then it's a step in the right direction.

The only thing about all this is, if I was Chabot's agent I wouldn't even discuss anything long term for less than 9, or a bridge that leads me right to UFA for 6. So, 5 years, 30 million (which is BAD for Ottawa IMO) or 8 years, 72 (maybe 70) - which is good for Ottawa.

I dont disagree that rebuilds happen all the time.

I disagree that this a run of the mill rebuild. With Melnyk at the helm, i have zero confidence this will be done right. He has done everything he can to hurt this franchise, particularly within the last few seasons.

If there was another owner, sure, no problem. But with him still there? Confidence is low imo

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Call me crazy, but I wouldn't ever give 10M to a player who has shown 1 year of being an NHler, nevermind a superstar level player.
What a garbage take. Innacurate and no depth all in one. No one is saying he should get 10 plus. The poster you quoted literally said if they wait. He has also played two full seasons in the NHL his second was absolutely elite.

Doubtful - I can't imagine there is really much he can do to make himself the 3rd highest paid dman in the league, on an RFA contract, ahead of most Norris winners, short of scoring 80 points with solid defense, and winning a Norris himself.

Which, I feel pretty confident is not going to happen.

If Dahlin continues on his current trajectory, I can see him potentially getting in that range. Not Chabot.
You are also one of the most biased posters on here that hates the sens. Who has consistently shown very little knowledge or familiarity with anything that isnt leaf related.

Chabots pedigree is elite his production is elite when you watch him he plays elite hockey. He danced your leafs on multiple occasions.

MVP of the WJC, CHL d man if the year MVP of the QMJHL playoffs.

55 points in 70 games good for 8th in the NHL for d men in ppg on a last place team. Played 24:17 night with a - 12 plus minus on a team with a negative 60 goal differential. When he was injured they won 2 of 12 games. He then went on to be the top d man at the WHC on team Canada. All this at 21 years old.

But yeah you guys are right he is barely an NHL player and is probably just going to regress. Despite the fact every single year of his professional hockey career since jr he has taken a big step. Just simply go on hockey db, its all there.

some very very very big IFS you're tossing out there.

What makes you think McAvoy gets 9? What makes you think Chabot scores 60?
He paced at over 60 last year. Unbelievable...

Last edited:

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
$10 million is yikes money. Closer to $8.5-9 preferrable

If the Senators can get him at 10 million on an 8 year term, they should take it and run.

We're approaching the biggest change to RFA contracts that has come in the cap era. People are way behind right now. We're not going to see Nathan MacKinnon's or even Erik Karlsson's RFA contract ever again.

The only guys who are going to be steals will be those middle 6/second line type prospects who weren't pegged as stars, but broke out after signing safe contracts.

Superstars aren't signing those contracts anymore. There's little reason for a superstar to play it safe anymore. Odds of a guy like a Matthews, or a Chabot, or an Aho falling off 5 seasons from now are super low. Their agents aren't idiots, they can follow patterns. They know cap inflation is happening and that it will happen even more when the new US TV deal kicks in. So superstars aren't going to leave cash on the table by locking themselves in on a bad deal long term unless it is a huge overpayment by historical standards.

10+ would be a historical overpayment for Chabot, but it still would be a good move for Ottawa if the alternative is getting him at 5 or so years. Look at how little the Senators have on the books in the next 2-3 seasons. Overpaying in the short term to ensure Chabot can be cost controlled at 10 million during the back half of that contract would be a very solid move.

Hellraising Senator

Feb 15, 2017
If the Senators can get him at 10 million on an 8 year term, they should take it and run.

We're approaching the biggest change to RFA contracts that has come in the cap era. People are way behind right now. We're not going to see Nathan MacKinnon's or even Erik Karlsson's RFA contract ever again.

The only guys who are going to be steals will be those middle 6/second line type prospects who weren't pegged as stars, but broke out after signing safe contracts.

Superstars aren't signing those contracts anymore. There's little reason for a superstar to play it safe anymore. Odds of a guy like a Matthews, or a Chabot, or an Aho falling off 5 seasons from now are super low. Their agents aren't idiots, they can follow patterns. They know cap inflation is happening and that it will happen even more when the new US TV deal kicks in. So superstars aren't going to leave cash on the table by locking themselves in on a bad deal long term unless it is a huge overpayment by historical standards.

10+ would be a historical overpayment for Chabot, but it still would be a good move for Ottawa if the alternative is getting him at 5 or so years. Look at how little the Senators have on the books in the next 2-3 seasons. Overpaying in the short term to ensure Chabot can be cost controlled at 10 million during the back half of that contract would be a very solid move.

Not much else to say. This is SPOT on

senators101

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Pierre: hey Thomas, do you want to talk about an extension?
Thomas: yes
Pierre: great, that's exactly what you'll be doing with your new team.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
8x8.25 seems reasonable for both parties. If I’m the Sens I’m putting that offer out there. The kid is still somewhat unproven, if he and his agent would turn down something like that then they’re crazy.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
8x8.25 seems reasonable for both parties. If I’m the Sens I’m putting that offer out there. The kid is still somewhat unproven, if he and his agent would turn down something like that then they’re crazy.

I think you throw 8x8.25 out there this season and it’s a win-win. Three options happen:

A) he takes the deal and signs it
B) plays the season, doesn’t repeat his production and can sign him for less
C) he smashes competition and puts up 70+ points and proves he’s legit and you pay him 10m but with more certainty with another elite season under his belt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad