Rumor: Chabot and Ottawa have discussed an extension

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Chabot did score 55 in 70 games, and the cap has risen 10+ million since 2015. Why would he check capfriendly?

Because he previously said that McAvoy is getting 9aav

Are you following the thread at all ?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Yes.

A teams cap space and what a player is worth aren't mutually exclusive, otherwise teams close to the cap would never be able to sign guys.

The Leafs have no cap space today, and had less than that taking into account LTIR a month ago, and need to sign Marner, nothing is going to stop them from getting him signed to a 10+aav deal once the season starts thanks to their moves with LTIR, and moving Marleau. Teams play with the cap all the time.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

Jesus the reading comprehension is astounding. I didnt say he was getting 9 million....I said he could(if you want to argue with me over a million I dont care). What Boston has left for him is a problem for Sweeney to figure out. If the Leafs didnt free up more room for Marner would you be saying "pfft Marner isnt worth 10 the Leafs have 6 available.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Provorov is also getting laughed at for asking for 10m.

You guys would be the type of GM that gives kevin hayes 7m because "he asked for it".

You're contradicting yourself.

Me and you and probably a lot of people here think Kevin Hayes getting 7M was stupid. But he still got it....

Similarly - me and you and many on HF were surprised to see Provorov is asking 10M. But he's still asking for it. Will he end up with less? Sure, maybe, but all of the top RFAs are asking for a lot this year and most are holding out still. Odds are he's going to get closer to 10M than not, if that's his asking price, as most RFAs don't typically budge a lot.

Chabot > Provorov in terms of value today.

Chabot 1 year from now if he has another strong year >> Provorov today in terms of value.

If Provorov is asking 10M$ this year - it's absolutely realistic to expect Chabot to command 10M$+ as an RFA if they wait till next summer.

They're more likely to get him at a better price if they sign him now, vs wait a year.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Jesus the reading comprehension is astounding. I didnt say he was getting 9 million....I said he could(if you want to argue with me over a million I dont care). What Boston has left for him is a problem for Sweeney to figure out. If the Leafs didnt free up more room for Marner would you be saying "pfft Marner isnt worth 10 the Leafs have 6 available.

Well the logic would suggest that McAvoy will sign a 1-2 year bridge deal and get paid once Boston get rid of Backes contract?

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Well the logic would suggest that McAvoy will sign a 1-2 year bridge deal and get paid once Boston get rid of Backes contract?
Sure? I wasnt commenting on that though it was an off hand comment on what I thought was fairly obvious his long term value and not on a 1 or 2 year deal....because they could also sign him long term and trade cap.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Once you're talking 10 mil it makes no dif if you sign now or later. God forbid you wait, get certainty on his ability and he asks for 10.5. The horror.

He won't ask for 13 or anything.

Same logic was used last summer when TOR could have had Matthews at 12.xx x 8 years and Toronto elected to wait.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Sure? I wasnt commenting on that though it was an off hand comment on what I thought was fairly obvious his long term value and not on a 1 or 2 year deal....because they could also sign him long term and trade cap.

Well half of the league is trying to move cap right now.... not sure how well this is gonna work.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017

Me and you and probably a lot of people here think Kevin Hayes getting 7M was stupid. But he still got it....

Similarly - me and you and many on HF were surprised to see Provorov is asking 10M. But he's still asking for it. Will he end up with less? Sure, maybe, but all of the top RFAs are asking for a lot this year and most are holding out still. Odds are he's going to get closer to 10M than not, if that's his asking price, as most RFAs don't typically budge a lot.

Chabot 1 year from now if he has another strong year >> Provorov today in terms of value.

If Provorov is asking 10M$ this year - it's absolutely realistic to expect Chabot to command 10M$+ as an RFA if they wait till next summer.

They're more likely to get him at a better price if they sign him now, vs wait a year.

Hates was a free agent. Justifying giving chabot a contract as an RFA by referencing a UFA contract as a benchmark for a different position for a player most peopme agree is a bad contract isnt very smart.

Provorov can ask whatever he wants. Doesnt mean he will get it. Justifying giving a player a contract because another player is asking for it, is also ridiculous.

If you want comparables, look at SIGNED contracts for RFA dmen.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If I’m the agent I ask Chabot if he wants to test Eugene like Montreal tested Condon with the massive signing bonuses.

I’d be using that in negotiations with Ottawa to get a front loaded deal.

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City

Just to clarify here: Provorov did not ask for 10M. The CBJ writer who broke this initially retracted it after, while still mentioning that AAV for top RFA D will go up significantly.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Sign Chabot 8x9 right now.
Maybe see if you can talk him into 8x8.5, but come with a big number under 10 right now or else you're going to pay the piper later.

Reactions: Seanaconda

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
Lock him up before he’s available to be offer sheeted.

You're right that my comment was poorly phrased. I'll rephrase with what I mean't:

Are you confident you’ll be able to get something done?
“We’re going to keep it quiet, we’ve had discussions and I don’t think I should say anymore,” Dorion said.

That is not an answer that instills ANY confidence from my perspective, and in my opinion does the opposite.

Reactions: BatVader

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sign Chabot 8x9 right now.
Maybe see if you can talk him into 8x8.5, but come with a big number under 10 right now or else you're going to pay the piper later.
I think Chabot has a good amount of leverage given melnyks financial situation. Thus the OS threat is real.

Think he’ll end up with term and dollars that he feels is fair to him, whatever those numbers are.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Everyone likes to point and laugh at the Leafs for the Marner situation, but a lot of teams are in for RFA sticker shock in the next few years.

RFAs are all asking for ridiculous money right now.

Chabot has every right to ask for a shit ton of $. I honestly wouldnt blame him if I heard hes asked for 12×7. Who tf would want to waste their time playing for Ott rn esp with the potential he has and his age

Reactions: Seanaconda

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Ekblad signed for 10.27% of the cap. That's 8.370 today. Is it really that nuts to think Chabot could make a little less than Ekblad?
I've been horrible with wording things lately. I should have said if he signs for that $$$ before he really proves he's worth it I'm going to die of laughter. Sorry, my bad.

Reactions: KevinRedkey

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Is this the same Ottawa Sun writer who reported Karlsson to Montreal and a bunch of other crap this year?

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
Has there ever been a contract that increases with the cap? Say, give player x $5m/year, then say the cap goes up 10% the next year, his salary would be $5.5m.

Now that I typed it out, I guess no player would take it. Plus would be hard to get AAV.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad