Rumor: Chabot and Ottawa have discussed an extension

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Lock him up before he’s available to be offer sheeted.

I don't see anything in the quoted part that indicates they have talked? In fact I infer from this that it hasn't been good, but maybe I'm just suffering from Sens Fan Syndrome.
Are you confident you’ll be able to get something done?
“We’re going to keep it quiet, we’ve had discussions and I don’t think I should say anymore,” Dorion said.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Thoughts on $ value?

I guess Provorov and Werenski contracts will set the bar.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
yeah and there is no guarantee he hits that again.

Most estimates have McAvoy getting 5.5 or 6 on a bridge, 7 to 8 on a long term deal. There really isn't much to say he'd get $9M.

You're making huge assumptions. I think you need to slow your roll. Quite a bit too.

Provorov is asking 10M$ as an RFA this year and his career high is 41 points. Chabot last year (his 2nd year) he was better than any year from Provorov - and he still has one more year to go on ELC. I think Chabot > Provorov is a case that can probably be made - and if the one is asking 10M, I see no reason Chabot wouldn't ask for at least 10M$ if not more in a year.

I don't know what McAvoy is asking for honestly - but based on the asks of all the other RFAs out there - Chabot asking for 10M+ next off season if he has another strong year seems pretty likely to me.

If McAvoy is really going to get 6 - that's good for him. The bar doesn't get set by players signing reasonable contracts though, so it's kind of moot.

Aho signed for 8.5. Matthews signed for 11.67. Players like Marner, Laine and Ranta are looking at Matthews, not Aho.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Wouldn't read too much into this. This is what Dorion said about Karlsson and others, claiming everything is fine and pumping Melnyk's tires on how committed he is. I do believe they will get Chabot signed but this is just Dorion pathetically trying to hide the incompetence already well exposed.

Reactions: Captain97

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Everyone likes to point and laugh at the Leafs for the Marner situation, but a lot of teams are in for RFA sticker shock in the next few years.

RFAs are all asking for ridiculous money right now.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Or he doesn't repeat and you pay him less than 10 anyway?

End of the day if I'm an owner(a cheap one at that in Eugene) and I can be 100% sure of an asset's value and pay 88 mil for 8 years or be 70% sure and pay 80 mil over 8 years I think i'd just wait and see.

For all we know he has an off year right before negotiations.

Look at a guy like Laine who's off year likely dropped his contract value long term.
Or Marner....Rantanen...Point. There is inherently risk involved regardless of when you sign a deal. You might get Chabot for 7 aav this summer but he comes back and improves on last year his ask shoots to the sky as it has with this years rfas. Get more cost certain....which costs you money. Most contracts that are "steals" involved varying degrees of risk up front. Chabot seems like the kind of player I'd bet on. But that is just me.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
"Huge assumptions" that a rookie defensemen will improve and not randomly get significantly worse....for no reason at all? Gee I'm really living on the wild side here. Also nobody actually knows what McAvoy is going to sign for.
You think scoring 60 points is getting significantly worse?

He may even get better and not score 50.

Again, more big assumptions.

Im not sure what youre trying to get at. Whats the point of your posts?

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Provorov is asking 10M$ as an RFA this year and his career high is 41 points. Chabot last year (his 2nd year) he was better than any year from Provorov - and he still has one more year to go on ELC. I think Chabot > Provorov is a case that can probably be made - and if the one is asking 10M, I see no reason Chabot wouldn't ask for at least 10M$ if not more in a year.

I don't know what McAvoy is asking for honestly - but based on the asks of all the other RFAs out there - Chabot asking for 10M+ next off season if he has another strong year seems pretty likely to me.

If McAvoy is really going to get 6 - that's good for him. The bar doesn't get set by players signing reasonable contracts though, so it's kind of moot.

Aho signed for 8.5. Matthews signed for 11.67. Players like Marner, Laine and Ranta are looking at Matthews, not Aho.
Provorov is also getting laughed at for asking for 10m.

You guys would be the type of GM that gives kevin hayes 7m because "he asked for it".

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Even though he's not worth it, if Provorov is asking for 10M$ right now it's absolutely sure this is the kind of money Chabot will target next season.

Reactions: Treebeard

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
If he signs for more than 8M per I'm going to sue the NHL before I die of laughter.
You do know number one D get that much now right?

Did you die of laughter when the oilers McDavid and Draisaitl signed their deals?

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
You think scoring 60 points is getting significantly worse?

He may even get better and not score 50.

Again, more big assumptions.

Im not sure what youre trying to get at. Whats the point of your posts?
You are literally putting words in my mouth at this point and then turning around and saying I'm making assumptions off of things you are saying I'm saying that I'm not even saying lol. Literally all I said was that saying Chabot could score 60 isn't a big assumption...which you said it was. Even though he played at a 60 point pace last year. If you want to actually talk about what I'm saying instead of just spouting off about me assuming things(I'm not) then great. If not you can just move along.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
If he signs for more than 8M per I'm going to sue the NHL before I die of laughter.

Ekblad signed for 10.27% of the cap. That's 8.370 today. Is it really that nuts to think Chabot could make a little less than Ekblad?

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
You are literally putting words in my mouth at this point and then turning around and saying I'm making assumptions off of things you are saying I'm saying that I'm not even saying lol. Literally all I said was that saying Chabot could score 60 isn't a big assumption...which you said it was. Even though he played at a 60 point pace last year. If you want to actually talk about what I'm saying instead of just spouting off about me assuming things(I'm not) then great. If not you can just move along.

I can't even decipher what you're trying to say.

something like, they should lock him up now, because IF McAvoy signs for $9M, and IF he has a big season, he could ask for more than $10M.

Uhh, okay. Not a chance would I offer him a $10M contract. He won't get one. Not now, not next year.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Ekblad signed for 10.27% of the cap. That's 8.370 today. Is it really that nuts to think Chabot could make a little less than Ekblad?

If he plays well this year, I can see an $8M contract. IF he plays well. If I were going to try lock him up long term, I'd start with a $7M offer, and use that as a starting point. I wouldn't go over $8M though. Even that's a lot.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
If he plays well this year, I can see an $8M contract. IF he plays well. If I were going to try lock him up long term, I'd start with a $7M offer, and use that as a starting point. I wouldn't go over $8M though. Even that's a lot.

7 million?

If Chabot repeats last season he's looking at 10 million on 6 year contract in my opinion. Werenski is whispered to be looking somewhere around 6 million for 3 years, and Chabot is a slightly higher calibre player get more term.

Chabot is like the Marner of defencemen. He will get paid.

Provorov is also getting laughed at for asking for 10m.

You guys would be the type of GM that gives kevin hayes 7m because "he asked for it".

Everyone on HFBoards disagreee with that Hayes contract so you are wrong.

Provorov is a big step down from Chabot *at the moment* and he will likely get 8+ on a shorter deal. Why would Chabot get anything in that ballpark?

You're delusional. This isn't 2003, RFAs are getting paid these days.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I can't even decipher what you're trying to say.

something like, they should lock him up now, because IF McAvoy signs for $9M, and IF he has a big season, he could ask for more than $10M.

Uhh, okay. Not a chance would I offer him a $10M contract. He won't get one. Not now, not next year.
I'm sure you thought Marner wouldnt be asking for(and probably getting) north of 10 million at this time next year as well. It's okay it took me a while to come to grips with the market now too.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Unless it's a clear overpay I doubt Chabot signs a new deal before the next offseason

Ya not a chance he signs before that. Id assume everyone knows that he isnt signing anything till then.

Id imagine no higher end upcoming RFA from this point on signs a year ish in advance

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
You might wanna check capfriendly sometimes buddy

Boston has roughly 8M in capspace and they have McAvoy and Carlo to sign...
Chabot did score 55 in 70 games, and the cap has risen 10+ million since 2015. Why would he check capfriendly?

What McAvoy is worth and what Boston's capspace situation is aren't mutually exclusive

Last edited:
Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009
Unless it's a clear overpay I doubt Chabot signs a new deal before the next offseason

There is inherent risk to both sides waiting to sign a deal. The team can wait and see him put up a monster season that will cost a lot more to sign, but also Chabot could not meet expectations, get hurt, or any number of things that give cause to a lower contract amount.

It's a bird in hand being better than two in the bush scenario.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad