Rumor: Chabot and Ottawa have discussed an extension

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
“In the case of Colin White we were able to keep everything very confidential and we were able to get a contract done,” Dorion told Postmedia during a one-on-one interview. “We don’t think talking publicly about any contract negotiations, whether it’s Chabot or any pending UFA, does us any good.
“But we understand the importance of our young core and having them in Ottawa as long as possible.”
Are you confident you’ll be able to get something done?
“We’re going to keep it quiet, we’ve had discussions and I don’t think I should say anymore,” Dorion said.
Dorion said owner Eugene Melnyk has been on board with the decisions made and the club is focused on keeping its young players in the fold.
“Through this process Eugene has been tremendous, as far as support, and understanding the plan,” Dorion said. “Just as an example, I don’t think anyone was more excited than him when we signed Colin White to six years, and the commitment made was great.”

Senators working on Thomas Chabot extension after signing Colin White

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Good news for them, lock up their young talent. Chabot's one of their top young players, great to see them discuss an extension.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Call me crazy, but I wouldn't ever give 10M to a player who has shown 1 year of being an NHler, nevermind a superstar level player.
That's my point though. He wouldn't get that right now but if they wait and he follows up he is going to be asking for north of 10 this time next year without a doubt.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I didnt say 10 million to Chabot is a no brainer. I said signing him now is a no brainer and that he would get north of 10 next year.

Doubtful - I can't imagine there is really much he can do to make himself the 3rd highest paid dman in the league, on an RFA contract, ahead of most Norris winners, short of scoring 80 points with solid defense, and winning a Norris himself.

Which, I feel pretty confident is not going to happen.

If Dahlin continues on his current trajectory, I can see him potentially getting in that range. Not Chabot.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Doubtful - I can't imagine there is really much he can do to make himself the 3rd highest paid dman in the league, on an RFA contract, ahead of most Norris winners, short of scoring 80 points with solid defense, and winning a Norris himself.

Which, I feel pretty confident is not going to happen.

If Dahlin continues on his current trajectory, I can see him potentially getting in that range. Not Chabot.
Look at what rfas are going for now...and totally readjust. Because it isnt just the young forwards trying to reset the market. It is inevitable that there will be more 10 million dollar defensemen and they are going to have to do less to get it then the previous generation. Just the way it is.

Reactions: bobholly39

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Look at what rfas are going for now...and totally readjust. Because it isnt just the young forwards trying to reset the market. It is inevitable that there will be more 10 million dollar defensemen and they are going to have to do less to get it then the previous generation. Just the way it is.

It's going to take longer than 1 year for young dmen at the end of their ELC to be getting over $10M. And that's assuming Chabot follows up with a 80 point season, which I really doubt.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
It's going to take longer than 1 year for young dmen at the end of their ELC to be getting over $10M. And that's assuming Chabot follows up with a 80 point season, which I really doubt.
And if McAvoy gets a deal for 9 and Chabot even gets 60+ that essentially sets the floor...Dahlin is going to get north of 10. I'm really unsure why you are acting like I'm saying he deserves 10 million right now lol.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
And if McAvoy gets a deal for 9 and Chabot even gets 60+ that essentially sets the floor...Dahlin is going to get north of 10. I'm really unsure why you are acting like I'm saying he deserves 10 million right now lol.

some very very very big IFS you're tossing out there.

What makes you think McAvoy gets 9? What makes you think Chabot scores 60?

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
I didnt say 10 million to Chabot is a no brainer. I said signing him now is a no brainer and that he would get north of 10 next year.
You are 100% correct. Try and lock him up now because it will be much tougher next year. I know as some others have said he’s only had one good year but we’ve seen enough of him to know he’s going to be (already is) an elite player in the game IMO.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Because he scored 55 in 70 in his rookie season? Lol it's not 2015.

yeah and there is no guarantee he hits that again.

Most estimates have McAvoy getting 5.5 or 6 on a bridge, 7 to 8 on a long term deal. There really isn't much to say he'd get $9M.

You're making huge assumptions. I think you need to slow your roll. Quite a bit too.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
yeah and there is no guarantee he hits that again.

Most estimates have McAvoy getting 5.5 or 6 on a bridge, 7 to 8 on a long term deal. There really isn't much to say he'd get $9M.

You're making huge assumptions. I think you need to slow your roll. Quite a bit too.
"Huge assumptions" that a rookie defensemen will improve and not randomly get significantly worse....for no reason at all? Gee I'm really living on the wild side here. Also nobody actually knows what McAvoy is going to sign for.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
I don't see anything in the quoted part that indicates they have talked? In fact I infer from this that it hasn't been good, but maybe I'm just suffering from Sens Fan Syndrome.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Or you get him for less then 10 now?

Or he doesn't repeat and you pay him less than 10 anyway?

End of the day if I'm an owner(a cheap one at that in Eugene) and I can be 100% sure of an asset's value and pay 88 mil for 8 years or be 70% sure and pay 80 mil over 8 years I think i'd just wait and see.

For all we know he has an off year right before negotiations.

Look at a guy like Laine who's off year likely dropped his contract value long term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad