Trade: [CHA/CHI/ORL] Mozgov and Jerian Grant to Magic, Biyombo to Hornets, Juylan Stone to Bulls

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
This deal was basically done for salary cap reasons.

from espn.com:

The Magic, who have not had a winning record nor made the playoffs since the lockout-shortened 2011-12 season, get salary-cap help in Grant's $2.69 million expiring contract, while Mozgov's deal has two years, $32.7 million left.

For the Bulls, Stone's $1.65 million contract has an Aug. 1 guarantee date. If Stone is waived, Chicago's cap space would increase to $16 million in room -- assuming forward Noah Vonleh is released.

For Charlotte, Biyombo has two years, $34 million left on his contract. The Hornets have $120 million in salary and are $3.4 million under the luxury tax threshold with 14 guaranteed contracts on the roster.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Can someone explain to me why Bulls gave away Jerian Grant (A solid 25 yr old bench player) for a 29 yr old fringe NBA player with minimal talent?

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Can someone explain to me why Bulls gave away Jerian Grant (A solid 25 yr old bench player) for a 29 yr old fringe NBA player with minimal talent?
Well, for starters, they can wave Stone and get his money off the books where as Grants money is guaranteed.

As for solid, Grant runs faster then his dribble and he's more of a shooter then a point. Don't let his numbers last year fool you, he's bad. His higher production was a product of the Bulls tank, so I don't know where "he's a solid player" comes from. He's not.

Basically, if you want to be bad, you put a guy like Grant out there 20 minutes a game. If you want cap flexibility, you trade him for somebody you can waive fast.

Here to help

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad