Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Troy Brouwer (4 years, $4.500M AAV)

Selke

Apr 11, 2009
You guys will love Troy. One of my favorite guys the Hawks had to let go.

longchange

Feb 18, 2012
Dunno if he changed his game in St. Louis, but Brouwer wasn't really that kind of player for the Caps. He hits a lot, but he's not a punishing player, certainly not a Chris Simon. He was never a guy who created havoc in front of the net at ES, and he didn't open up space for Ovechkin and Backstrom in his year on the top line. There's value in his special teams play, but at ES Brouwer was pretty disappointing in his time with the Caps.

Yeah as a Flames fan I agree. I don't really see how Brouwer will be a Chris Simon type guy that plays on the top line getting 40 points. People are imagining roles for him that don't exist. Brouwer will start on the top line and should be a smart, experienced, and reasonably productive player. He's not going to be dropping the gloves or laying guys out with huge hits, and the ice isn't going to suddenly open up for JG and Monahan because of his presence.

TheBleedingEdge

Feb 13, 2012
I think the Flames did a great job getting Brouwer at the price, term is good too.

I can see him fitting in quite well.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
This is the player the PP lacked last year, Hudler fell off hard. Brouwer despite his shortcomings is a fantastic PP player. If him and Gulutzan can get the Flames into the Top 15 for PP next year I'm fine with AAV.

SemONER*

Jun 25, 2016
A lot of mixed emotions.

It's a good deal for the flames. Maybe he didn't work out in Washington but he will fit in better in Calgary and do just fine. Haters gonna hate, and conveniently forget everything they said once it gets proven wrong. Look forward to seeing him with the flames this year.

Another solid move by Treliving

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
4 years makes this an ok deal. Brouwer is useful, hard to say how he will do with the Flames.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Brouwer got PP1 time with the Caps, even played with Ovie and Backstrom his first season, and he never hit 50. He got nearly 2 minutes a game on the Blues PP. His offense hasn't been held back by his usage.

Dunno if he changed his game in St. Louis, but Brouwer wasn't really that kind of player for the Caps. He hits a lot, but he's not a punishing player, certainly not a Chris Simon. He was never a guy who created havoc in front of the net at ES, and he didn't open up space for Ovechkin and Backstrom in his year on the top line. There's value in his special teams play, but at ES Brouwer was pretty disappointing in his time with the Caps.

I actually never specifically said he plays like Simon, I said he will create space and be a "Simon" for us, and he will. We need someone who will forecheck hard, go to the dirty are areas, skate hard and be a physical presence out there, Brouwer will do all that. Compared to having Hudler, Brouwer will open up so much more just by the way he plays

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Yeah the problem with the Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler line is when it came to puck battles they all wait in an open space and hope the other guy comes out with the puck. What ends up happening is the one with the puck gets swarmed and loses possession.

Great off the rush, but we really needed a player for them who will do the battles.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Yeah the problem with the Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler line is when it came to puck battles they all wait in an open space and hope the other guy comes out with the puck. What ends up happening is the one with the puck gets swarmed and loses possession.

Great off the rush, but we really needed a player for them who will do the battles.

Yup, there was a reason away from home that line got clobbered last year. Very little ability to win most battles.

Brouwer definitely brings size and battle. By the looks of Monny's offseason workout, he might be moving in that direction too :laugh:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
As a Blues fan, I'm certainly not disappointed we signed Perron at 2 years for 3.7 per rather than Brouwer at 4 years for 4.5.

However, it's not a bad deal. Certainly better than giving Backes 5 years at his number, and Ladd for 7 years too.

Brouwer is a big body that will run around and bump guys, but as others have said, he's not really an intimidating or punishing power forward. And I question whether he can repeat that playoff performance again. I guess we'll see because the Flames will probably make it.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Brouwer actually might get paired with Bennett, as well.

I think we see it, seems like the type of player Bennett could really benefit from playing with. My only issue with that then is who plays with Monahan and Gaudreau? Chaisson? blah.

In a year or two though, Tkachuk - Bennett - Brouwer seems like it'd be a pain in the ass to play against

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad