Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Troy Brouwer (4 years, $4.500M AAV)

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
You are completely wrong, Blues fans were very happy with him in our playoff run, and most of us wanted him back. I wanted him back over Backes,

His playoff performance last year was an aberration. An anomaly. He cashed in on a performance that he'll never replicate. He was dreadful in the playoffs (and mediocre in the regular season) for two other playoff teams over the course of his first 7 full seasons, and his advanced stats state that he's a passenger not suited for a top-6 role. I'm glad you were happy with him last year and you'll be glad you didn't give him 4 years and $18mm.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Brouwer's got a pretty unique skillset that the Flames could really use in their forward group. They didn't have many bangers and crashers who could score in tight quarters.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Hate the Flames but good signing. Brouwer is one of the most consistant warriors in the game you know what you get from him no risks a player who shows up every night.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
I ****ing hate this deal. Hate the term, hate the money, don't like the player much either. This contract will come back to ****ing haunt us, mark my words

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
His playoff performance last year was an aberration. An anomaly. He cashed in on a performance that he'll never replicate. He was dreadful in the playoffs (and mediocre in the regular season) for two other playoff teams over the course of his first 7 full seasons, and his advanced stats state that he's a passenger not suited for a top-6 role. I'm glad you were happy with him last year and you'll be glad you didn't give him 4 years and $18mm.

You are most likely correct but you said he was bad in the playoffs last year and I was disputing that. That being said everything you just wrote can be said about TJ Oshie before this past year too, I hope you are wrong about both players. He is a third line player getting paid like a 2/3 line tweener. I just dont have the hatred I guess

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
You are most likely correct but you said he was bad in the playoffs last year and I was disputing that. That being said everything you just wrote can be said about TJ Oshie before this past year too, I hope you are wrong about both players. He is a third line player getting paid like a 2/3 line tweener. I just dont have the hatred I guess

Nope! I said his performance last year in the playoffs was a mirage... as in, not real. I don't really have any hatred, I just watched Brouwer come up snake eyes when it mattered every time for four years. He seems like a nice guy and a solid locker room presence but he's maddening to have on your team.

Brendonhayden

Jan 25, 2016
I think it is a little high but not a bad deal as a blues fan I did not want him when we traded for him but after the regular season I liked him and by the end of the playoff I wanted him back more than I wanted backes back.

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
Gross deal for a 3rd liner that usually puts up around 35ish points per season. Only thing that even saves this deal in the slightest is the 4 year term.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Brouwer fan....solid leader of men, but he's overpaid at this price (who isn't as an UFA). He'll get his 15-20g probably as long as he's getting icetime with quality linemates. Some Calgary fans will love him some will hate him.

Slush

Jan 26, 2016
Calgary, Canada
He will bring the Flames the grit and size and character that they need. He will help make room on the ice for our young prospect stars. He could have come at a cheaper price but overall I am happy with this signing.

longchange

Feb 18, 2012
Brouwer's missed 8 games in the last 7 seasons and is good for 35-40 points per year. Flames need to shore up RW and he helps with that, although they are still missing their #1 RW imo. The length is good compared to what other FA's got today and not surprisingly the AAV is a tad higher than expected. Overall a pretty decent low cost, low risk signing.

Pretty quiet for Calgary today. I think they spoke more with what they didn't do than what they did. They did get Johnson for cheap and now have a really solid 1-2 in goal for next year. I'm glad they didn't shell out big bucks for anyone and would be reasonably happy with their offseason if this is all they do.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
15-20 g 35-45 points

4.5mil is acceptable if its towards the end of those ranges.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Jiri Hudler put up 76pts with our top line the year before last, see no reason Brouwer couldn't pop 50 with #1PP time. Should be a good fit for our forward group. Would of rather had Okposo but this'll do especially seeing all the term and money thrown around today.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
Jiri Hudler put up 76pts with our top line the year before last, see no reason Brouwer couldn't pop 50 with #1PP time. Should be a good fit for our forward group. Would of rather had Okposo but this'll do especially seeing all the term and money thrown around today.

Hudler only did it once, and even then before he put up a 55+ pt season in his career. Brouwer isn't as skilled as Hudler. This was an overpay.

LetsGoFlames

Drop the puck!
Dec 18, 2011
Weyburn, Sk
Money is a little high but in UFA, that's what you need to do to get a guy you want. I think Tkachuk will make our team out of camp and can't see Johnny and Monahan broken up, so it's likely Bennett and Tkachuk on the 2nd line. That's a lot of youth. Brouwer is perfect in that spot to lead the kids and keep other teams honest from taking liberties with the kids. Term of the deal is good. All in all, I like this signing.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Fits a roll.
Not willing to pay any of the other FA's today 6-7 years and 1-1.5 million more; none of them were worth that money. Did Troy get a few bucks more than he's worth, yeah. But it's not my 250-500k, so I'm not going to ***** like a child :laugh:

The main thing was the term. When Calgary's next round of prospects and players require new contracts, Troy will no longer be part of this team.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The last 20 games or so at the end of the year, Johnny had a recurring wrist injury because punks like Keith kept slashing him. That is exactly why we got Brouwer. Monahan isn't a bruiser, Hudler sure as heck wasn't, Backlund.. nope, not Frolik, Bennett isn't there yet, we literally do not have a single that plays over 15 minutes a game that the opposing team says "hey watch out for that guy". Well now we do, now Johnny has some muscle next to him and he can focus on what he does best. Brouwer can get his 35pts, as long as he plays hard against the other team, he's earning that money.

People that don't like this deal aren't looking at our needs objectively. We tried Ferland there, he isn't the answer.

Frolik was brought in to help our possession game and PK, as well as add depth to our top 6, well everyone loves him because he does his role very well. Brouwer is here to score some points, and basically be our Chris Simon. Go out there bang, create havoc in front of the net, be a physical presence on the ice and create room for Johnny and Mony and score some points.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011

Brouwer got PP1 time with the Caps, even played with Ovie and Backstrom his first season, and he never hit 50. He got nearly 2 minutes a game on the Blues PP. His offense hasn't been held back by his usage.

The last 20 games or so at the end of the year, Johnny had a recurring wrist injury because punks like Keith kept slashing him. That is exactly why we got Brouwer. Monahan isn't a bruiser, Hudler sure as heck wasn't, Backlund.. nope, not Frolik, Bennett isn't there yet, we literally do not have a single that plays over 15 minutes a game that the opposing team says "hey watch out for that guy". Well now we do, now Johnny has some muscle next to him and he can focus on what he does best. Brouwer can get his 35pts, as long as he plays hard against the other team, he's earning that money.

People that don't like this deal aren't looking at our needs objectively. We tried Ferland there, he isn't the answer.

Frolik was brought in to help our possession game and PK, as well as add depth to our top 6, well everyone loves him because he does his role very well. Brouwer is here to score some points, and basically be our Chris Simon. Go out there bang, create havoc in front of the net, be a physical presence on the ice and create room for Johnny and Mony and score some points.

Dunno if he changed his game in St. Louis, but Brouwer wasn't really that kind of player for the Caps. He hits a lot, but he's not a punishing player, certainly not a Chris Simon. He was never a guy who created havoc in front of the net at ES, and he didn't open up space for Ovechkin and Backstrom in his year on the top line. There's value in his special teams play, but at ES Brouwer was pretty disappointing in his time with the Caps.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad